Poll: Green Lantern could be the worst superhero/comic book movies of all time.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
rollerfox88 said:
What about Thor? That film was hands down awful...if Green Lantern truly is worse than that, then I vow never to watch it.
Finally someone else that thought it was terrible.

I have not seen the Green Lantern Movie yet, so I can't comment. But I doubt it is really that bad as everyone says. Of course, I have not read the comic books so I don't have any idea of how bad the movie would be in a history/lore kind of way.

Although... it IS starring Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. And I despise his acting.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Its not so much that the film was bad, it was just (like most other comic book movies that are been churned out these days) horribly mediocre.

I'm not someone who reads Marvel or DC stuff, mainly because they have massive mythologies featuring a lot of really lame heroes, and I wasn't a comic book kid, so for all the comic book movies I've seen I only really know basic stuff about the heroes, but Green Lantern..? In the film his super power appears to be flubber. Which is somewhat fitting considering the bad guy he's up against is wearing a cheap latex frankenstein get up from the local costume shop.

I thought Thor was much better (mainly because unlike Iron Man 2 and Captain frigging America) it kinda had its own story going on, and wasn't just a big budget trailer for the Avengers movie, and First Class (which I was expecting to be terrible) I was actually quite impressed with. Though that can hardly be surprising, when it followed the lacklustre Wolverine and the frankly appalling X Men 3.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Trivun said:
Well, at least the OP bothered to see it. I don't care if you're a Green Lantern 'fan' or not, but unless you actually watch the film and then make up your mind your opinion is irrelevant. I've always said that anyone who doesn't bother to experience something first simply has no right whatsoever to have an opinion on it.
I couldn't disagree more strongly. I'd explain why, but someone else [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8149-Experienced-Points-Your-Favorite-Game-Sucks] has already expressed it quite effectively (the article discussed video games, but the general principle is relevant).

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Steel. Has no one else seen that travesty? Shaq as a scientist. Come on people, the worst comic book movie by far even though Batman and Robin was just so awful.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Bucht said:
I'll watch it when the dvd costs less than ?10.
But it's not even released in the EU yet so it'll take a while before it gets cheap.
£5.99 today only at play.com
(not that I'm recomending picking it up, it just shows that shops are scared of low sales!)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I haven't watch it (so sue me if I'm not entitle to comment on this topic for not seeing it first) but just how bad is it when compared to films like The Spirit, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Hulk or those Hulk Vs Thor and Hulk Vs Dare Devil films? (Yes there were Hulk Vs films, look it up.)

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Oh c'mon, The 70's TV Movie Spiderman?

That at least has the excuse of being made in the 70s, everything on TV was cheesy then.

Green Lantern wasn't horrible by any means but barely ever rises above mediocre.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
Trivun said:
putowtin said:
I refuse to watch it, Green Lantern was my favourite comic as a child and I knew that the movie would suck!
Well, at least the OP bothered to see it. I don't care if you're a Green Lantern 'fan' or not, but unless you actually watch the film and then make up your mind your opinion is irrelevant. I've always said that anyone who doesn't bother to experience something first simply has no right whatsoever to have an opinion on it.
Your opinion is irrelevant to him, get over yourself.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Not even close. Don't get me wrong, it's not good by any stretch of the imagination but it's not the worst. The Spirit, Batman and Robin, Superman IV, Captain America, and Supergirl are all worse. Supergirl especially.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
Speaking as a GL fan, I don't think it was BAD, I think it was just....mishandled a bit. Tackling the first big leaps of Hal becoming a Lantern and everything is one thing, and even having those first inklings of him being able to beat yellow works too. Dealing with his personal issues is also fine. I think it's just the WAY they did those things really...doesn't work too well.

A large part of Hal's early time was training within the Corps. and later having to tag along with Sinestro, showing the differences in their ideologies and establishing things through that means. Parallax never entered the picture at that time. Using him was, frankly, a mistake. I understand that people might have not understood the concept of giant yellow space-bug of fear, but that's why you DON'T use him until you've gotten everything else set up that you can give proper time, attention, and explanation to his existence.

In short I think the biggest issue was they were trying to do too much. Too much of the wrong things and not enough of the right ones. It was a good attempt and it wasn't awful, but I have no desire to buy the DVD and put it on my shelf. They tried, but whoever was at the helm of this thing....I get the feeling they understood it, but they didn't care. They weren't all that much of a fan. Fans would have known better than to do what was done, I think.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
viperthejedi said:
Well I saw this the other night and well it was bad. Could be the worst ending to a movie since the Village.

Check out our review here: Reviews with Jables and Quantom: Green Lantern (2011) [http://reviewswithjablesandquantom.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-release-movies-green-lantern-2011.html]
If it's as bad as your review, I'm glad I haven't watched it.

mrsuperunderpants

Mar 15, 2011
I liked Green Lantern my only problem was the casting of Ryan Reynolds all the way through the film I wasn't seeing Hal Jordan I was seeing Berg from Two guys and a girl. He just didn't sell it for me. Apart from that I really did enjoy the film

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
I honestly thought that Green Lantern was the best comic book movie to come out this year. Granted I'm making that claim having not seen X-Men First Class, but it can't be much better than the other four eye-rapings that franchise has churned out.

Everyone says that Thor was better, but I would easily put it as the worst of the three films I've seen this year with super-heroes. It had little to no character development and exposition and the story arc was jumpy at best. I don't feel like the writing made a good case to ever even like any of the characters, you're just supposed to take it on face value that this arrogant prick is worth liking? I think most people who liked Thor are just easily distracted by shiny objects, because it was visually stunning. However, all the packaging in the world couldn't make that writing worthwhile.

Captain America would have beaten Green Lantern because I felt like it had excellent writing, but unfortunately the director was terrible. He used CGI as a crutch so that half the film the main character looked like a bad photoshop job. Also, casting was terrible. The guy playing the Captain couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. Truthfully the movie felt a lot like a 90 minute trailer for The Avengers, because so much time was spent shoe-horning in references to other Marvel properties.

That being said, Green Lantern comes out on top because it had Ok writing, it did overuse CGI but there's only so much you can do with the hero's power being to create green glowie stuff with his mind. At least the film hit all the markers that an origin story should have. This is one of the major short-comings that many origin stories don't have and that's the main reason why they are practically unwatchable (like daredevil).

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I think every bad superhero movie has run the gamut in this topic already.

-Electra
-Daredevil
-Batman and Robin
-Fantastic Four (both movies)
-The Spirit

And that doesn't even count cheap schlock like the Reb Brown version of Captain America, or the latter Superman movies.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
It was a badly made movie yes. Definitely of the 'turn off your brain to try and enjoy it' variety. The effects were a bit under par, not as bad as Moviebob went on about, but poor. The acting went from wooden to awkward, the story had so many jumps and holes in it I felt like I was watching an orgy between multiple sea-sponges and the whole damn thing was so cliche and tired within the first twenty minutes I was texting my boy-toy to please just come over and fuck me so some good might come from my night.

Maybe not the worst comic property movie ever. Yes, Ghost Rider was cancerous and Spiderman 3 was like a cyst on my spine, but both can look forward to sharing their apartment in "Terrace Le Shit" with a new roomie, Green Lantern.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
FernandoV said:
Trivun said:
putowtin said:
I refuse to watch it, Green Lantern was my favourite comic as a child and I knew that the movie would suck!
Your opinion is irrelevant to him, get over yourself.
Well said. The whole line of reasoning "If you don't try it you've no right to complain" has gotten pretty tiresome to me. I don't have to drink my own diarrhea to know it's disgusting.

MultiElford

Oct 22, 2011
I hated it and I haven't watched a review of it yet.

Reynold's inner conflict in the movie is forgettable (in fact, I forgot it) and the moral of the story (fear = bad courage = good and something about responsibility) was totally pointless.

There were three 2 minute action scenes and they were pleasant I guess but nothing special (by they were definitely the best part)

I never read the Green Lantern comics, so it might not be a problem with the director... But GOD I hated it.

viperthejedi

Jan 19, 2010
frans909 said:
viperthejedi said:
Well I saw this the other night and well it was bad. Could be the worst ending to a movie since the Village.

Check out our review here: Reviews with Jables and Quantom: Green Lantern (2011) [http://reviewswithjablesandquantom.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-release-movies-green-lantern-2011.html]
If it's as bad as your review, I'm glad I haven't watched it.
Cute.