Poll: Halo: Did anyone actually enjoy fighting the flood?

blobby218

Aug 24, 2009
the flood have me loathing them because of the mission "cortana" on legendary. the sheer number of them made me shouting so loud and i never want to see them again.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
megs1120 said:
I certainly didn't, and neither did anyone I knew who played the Halo games. The covenant AI was good for its day, but the flood were braindead. Like zombies. Why on... well, Earth, Reach, Harvest, whatever did Bungie insist on throwing the flood at you?

Halo Wars was the worst offender, I mean, they had to jump through so many hoops to make the flood fit into the game and that was the point at which the game fell apart. In my opinion, they all fell apart once the flood showed up.

I'm ranting, sorry about that. Well, my feelings on the subject are clear, what did you think? Did the flood make the Halo games better, did they make the series worse, or did they merely overstay their welcome?
TundraWolf said:
Just out of curiosity, weren't the Flood supposed to be like zombies? I mean, all they are are a parasite that revives dead bodies. That sounds pretty zombie-like to me.

To be fair, though: I've never played Halo: Wars, but I do know the story, and even I think the way the Flood was included was idiotic. It just didn't make sense with the rest of the canon.

But the Flood made sense in the rest of the Halo canon. Except with how they could use weapons in Halo 3. That was just retarded. Just give me mindless zombies and I'd be a happy camper.

It's the same sort of thing that happened with the headcrab zombies in Half-Life. The headcrabs were okay, the zombies were okay, but then the zombines showed up. And then they could pull grenades for no reason. Seriously?
Pay attention to the creator and developer. Bungie didn't make Halo Wars. So that is why the Flood was in Halo Wars. The people that did create it had a durp-dee-durp moment and ignored canon that said that the Flood hadn't been released yet, so they couldn't be in the game.

I can see though how the Flood can carry weapons. The Gravemind controls the Flood, so it can make the Flood do whatever it wants. They aren't mindless because they have an actual mind controlling them, so they have the ability to pick up and use weapons.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
They were fun and scary back in the original Halo. Then they kind of dropped the ball with the sequels. Halo 2's were too strong while Halo 3's were too weak. And they should have not been in Wars.

One thing I miss was the exploding carrier forms blowing each other up and flying across the map in the original. Also I missed the Human v Covenant v Flood v Sentinels in the original as well. Only Wars did this perfectly, in the final mission its basically in a giant circle with all factions battling each other as you try to escape.

scyrin

Mar 31, 2010
I didn't mind them too much because it added a new view point to the halo universe

also the flood AI made me have some of the most funny moments in halo

Oct 2, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Okay i get your side of the argument. Here are my two phrases that reply to this and settle my half of the argument:

1)firstly.....RET-CON! (if you don't know what Retroactive Continuity is, it's basically when Fans change details or arbitrarily add "hidden/secondary meanings" to simple past statements to build a base for their argument of why a loop hole/flaw, actually isn't. See The infamous Han Solo Parsecs debacle for the paradigm)
Actually, retcons typically refer to changes made on part of those who control the content, not fans.

I'm not sure how the phrase could apply to what I've been saying in any case, though; the Halo series has had its retcons, but the Forerunner-Flood war has been generally clean of it, and I'm mostly supporting my points with direct evidence from Halo CE and to a lesser extent Halo 3 with only moderate speculation.

2) Plot device (AI kept maintaining Lab for no apparent reason, Forerunners left for only speculated reasons.etc.)

I'm not saying what you say doesn't make sense. I'm just saying that, you have to understand that, HALF of what you're saying is Retcon and explanations of plot-devices with very little solid meaning.
Plot devices are only problematic if they're contrived. Which I guess is how you see the Forerunners' dissapearance, which is fair I guess; to each his own. Personally, over the last nine years, I've considered it one of the more interesting areas of speculation, since there are enough bones to chase that make sense that it's more interesting than confusing. It never really struck me as problematic to the storytelling to not explain it either, since there was never any direct reason to explain in excruciating detail the entire Forerunner-Flood war in the main games. And I guess Greg Bear is writing that story now anyway.

I'll leave off with the last point about why the labs exist, though, without going too much into the realm of the extremely juicy speculation available on that subject: there was never any reason to halt research, since the extragalactic origin of the Flood meant that they possibly weren't all gone. And the Forerunner had probably expected that humanity would have gotten around to inheriting their stuff before the Covenant jacked it (Unfortunately, this is only really currently explainable by a combination of Halo 3's terminals and the novels, which when combined suggest that Mendicant Bias escaped the battle against Offensive Bias by taking off in the Forerunner dreadnaught that we're familiar with 100,000 years later as Truth's ship. Mendicant Bias' escape would have screwed with the Forerunner plan by delivering, post-array-firing, a great piece of Forerunner equipment to what would later become prophet-controlled space, and in doing so ultimately create the Covenant as we know them. Yeah, it's kind of a long story.).

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
IBlackKiteI said:
They're awesome in the first game, and completely suck in the others.

They shouldn't have existed in 2, 3 and Wars, hell those games shouldn't have existed at all.
I agree with everything; except for ehen you said 2 shoulnd't have existed.

the series was best in halo 1, and halo 2. after that it was fanservice and penny-wringing.

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
Are you kidding?

I have memories of a school friend many years ago arriving in the morning a broken man. For those of you who have played Halo: CE, you'll remember trying to retrieve the Index (with levels fondly named Wait, it gets worse! and Fourth Floor: Tools, Guns and Keys to Superweapons) with slow doors, endless Flood spawning. He came in the next morning sleepless and a bit jittery: it was terrific.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Tupolev said:
Actually, retcons typically refer to changes made on part of those who control the content, not fans.
I've seen it being used both ways. I dunno. If they release another prequel explaining all this stuff to the best of their abilities, then that too will be Retcon imo. And it will undoubtedly leave big continuity errors like Reach did even if it is great. (but let's not get into that, please)

I'll leave off with the last point about why the labs exist, though, without going too much into the realm of the extremely juicy speculation available on that subject: there was never any reason to halt research, since the extragalactic origin of the Flood meant that they possibly weren't all gone. And the Forerunner had probably expected that humanity would have gotten around to inheriting their stuff before the Covenant jacked it (Unfortunately, this is only really currently explainable by a combination of Halo 3's terminals and the novels, which when combined suggest that Mendicant Bias escaped the battle against Offensive Bias by taking off in the Forerunner dreadnaught that we're familiar with 100,000 years later as Truth's ship. Mendicant Bias' escape would have screwed with the Forerunner plan by delivering, post-array-firing, a great piece of Forerunner equipment to what would later become prophet-controlled space, and in doing so ultimately create the Covenant as we know them. Yeah, it's kind of a long story.).
Yeah.....most of that went whoosh, over my head, because all of that is from the books, to which i'd say: If I want to read a Sci-fi Book, I'll read a sci-fi book. I'll read THAT book if it's good. but I won't read it to answer any question I may have had about the story, that wasn't answered in the game. Video games are a storytelling medium now. Hence they can no longer use books or films as crutches, (I'm not saying that the Halo books are crutches, I'm making a general statement. calm down) and if it leaves anything unclear, then that's a fault of the game.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
They weren't bad, I think most people didn't like them because of the Library level in the first Halo.

Oct 2, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Yeah.....most of that went whoosh, over my head, because all of that is from the books,
Actually, the vast majority of the stuff from that paragraph is from Halo 3. The only extra clarification needed is a few lines from Contact Harvest showing that the AI on the Dreadnaught is, in fact, Mendicant Bias.

But I of course can't blame you, since the Terminals aren't as well known as they probably should have been. It's quite unfortunate, really; the Marathon-style storytelling in the terminals is pretty awesome.

(I'm not saying that the Halo books are crutches,
Why not? I'm fine with things that are interesting to speculate on, but I expect core arcs to be complete and not have holes in them. It's one of the reasons I like HCE more than the other campaigns; it tells a full and complete story. Sometimes, Bungie has used them as crutches (*cough*Reach Halsey Journal*cough*), and it's kind of annoying.

and if it leaves anything unclear, then that's a fault of the game.
And I certainly agree, if that something is something that needed to be or should have been clear.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Tupolev said:
Bungie has used them as crutches (*cough*Reach Halsey Journal*cough*), and it's kind of annoying.
That's the thing that comes with the legendary edition of Reach right?

And I certainly agree, if that something is something that needed to be or should have been clear.
Well, I'm glad we've come to an agreement.

btw is this a bad time to mention that i only ever played Halo CE, and watched Lets Plays for the other two? :S

What............I'm a PC gamer. (yes, i know Halo2 is on windows)

Oct 2, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Tupolev said:
Bungie has used them as crutches (*cough*Reach Halsey Journal*cough*), and it's kind of annoying.
That's the thing that comes with the legendary edition of Reach right?
Yep. It's what resolves most (not quite all, but most) of the conflicts people have between Reach and the rest of the canon (though unfortunately it doesn't do as well with conflicts that people have with Reach internally). And you had to pay an extra $90 to get it. Lol.

btw is this a bad time to mention that i only ever played Halo CE, and watched Lets Plays for the other two? :S
Well, I certainly won't say I'm surprised, though your situation is hardly unusual even for those who have played the games.

Aug 1, 2010
Depends on the game. The in Halo 1 were whores, (Really Bungie? Zombies with SHOTGUNS???) but were very fun and challenging at the same time. The Flood in 2 just sucked and the Halo 3 pure forms were simply badass.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
I love the flood! I love mashing through their limbs with a shotgun and watching the little jellyfish-things swarming a dead body and ressurrecting it horrifically.

I do, however, hate the Halo 3 "pure" flood; the ones that aren't zombies, but just stupid looking yellow things. they suck.

standokan

May 28, 2009
I think that the flood wasn't ment for enjoying but for scaring people the f#ck out, which kinda worked in my case.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Thaius said:
You're missing the point. The Flood was not there because they made for good gameplay, the Flood was there because they made for a good story. The first time playing through Halo, fighting them was fine for someone paying attention to the story because they were a mysterious and scary enemy, the ultimate secret held by these ancient constructs. Thankfully, some small things about how they were fought in each game made them bearable on the first playthrough. Subsequent playthroughs not so much, but anyone who cares about Halo's story (because it is a great sci-fi war story) didn't mind on the first time through.

In Halo Wars, that was just an unforgivable betrayal of canon. It made no sense at all for the Flood to show up then. Humanity had no idea the Flood existed until the events of Halo, so for any humans to discover their existence before then is just a horrible canonical failure. That's what happens when Bungie completely withdraws from a project; it made sense to have it designed by Ensemble, but they should have had their own creative team do the story and music.
to be fair the humans who saw them didnt make it back to human space as far as we know.

Now in the case of the flood in the fps halo games...... first game good(they gave you the one weapon that made them all past at the begeining) second game they were more of a challenge as they should be seeing as they evoled with a great mind. 3rd game yeah no there should have been one level with them maybe two cause in that game they JUST WONT DIE!