Poll: Has the Wii U scared you off buying an NX console?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Pseudonym said:
WeepingAngels said:
Tell me, do you think it's acceptable to be putting out all these 2D games instead of 3D games this gen? A launch Mario game that is 2D, a 2.5D sequel to 3D Land that plays more like the 2D side scrollers than the real 3D Mario games, Yoshi, Kirby and Donkey Kong all get 2D games. No new Zelda game at all.

Acceptable to you? Nintendo's first HD console, loaded with 2D games, it's absurd.
While making a 3D game is a greater technical achievement, I don't think 3D games are better than 2D ones at all. I prefer metroid and zelda in 2D.

On topic: I have a PC. My interest in consoles is pretty much zero at the moment. Maybe the NX will blow me away with its features and games but I'm not holding my breath. I have played on the wii u of a friend and it didn't look like the worst thing ever so it's not that. It's just that I don't see why I need two machines that do basically the same thing, except one is also a PC.
But modern 2D games cost the same as 3D games. The Wii U lacks a 3D Mario game which is a first since they went 3D. Maybe Nintendo made one but decided the Wii U wasn't worth releasing it on but they are going backwards instead of forward.

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
I'm waiting on more confirmed titles for the NX before deciding on my interest in it. The new Zelda isn't enough for me. It's the perfect time to reboot F-Zero but as usual Ninty will shove a watered down difficulty wise Mario Kart out the door which'll kill my interest in the NX like it did the Wii U.

Terminal Marque

May 2, 2016
I saw the writing on the wall for the Wii-U when Nintendo decided to chase that sweet addictive Wii money. I don't think they've learned their lesson yet, and as long as their fans put that "Fanatic" in fan, they won't need to really.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Gundam GP01 said:
Level 7 Dragon said:
WeepingAngels said:
Pseudonym said:
more snippity
Super Mario 3D World

Were you two just not paying any attention when that game came out?
I did, from what I've seen of the gameplay it seems like a step down from Galaxy and Sunshine. It seems fun enough and a great party game, but the time limit, lack of exploration and an interesting story king of kills the will to get it.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
Gundam GP01 said:
Super Mario 3D World

There are people who don't count 3D World because it isn't like Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy in it's level or world structure. I'm not one of them, (not that I don't want Galaxy 3), but clearly they exist.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
Level 7 Dragon said:
Well, the only Nintendo consoles I had were the Wii, Game Boy and DSi.

Wii was amazing at first, mainly because of Galaxy, Prime and Twilight princess. Mario Kart also coloured some lonely evening.

The problem with the WiiU is that there is no propper mario platformer, metroid nor zelda. The only title I'm interested in at the moment is Splatoon.

Another problem is how horrible Nintendo's service is in Eastern Europe. No amiibos, they don't even sell their consoles at retail anymore, you have to order everything from abroad. That and most of their support doesn't extend to Russia.

Yeah, I'm sticking with PC.
WeepingAngels said:
Pseudonym said:
WeepingAngels said:
Tell me, do you think it's acceptable to be putting out all these 2D games instead of 3D games this gen? A launch Mario game that is 2D, a 2.5D sequel to 3D Land that plays more like the 2D side scrollers than the real 3D Mario games, Yoshi, Kirby and Donkey Kong all get 2D games. No new Zelda game at all.

Acceptable to you? Nintendo's first HD console, loaded with 2D games, it's absurd.
While making a 3D game is a greater technical achievement, I don't think 3D games are better than 2D ones at all. I prefer metroid and zelda in 2D.

On topic: I have a PC. My interest in consoles is pretty much zero at the moment. Maybe the NX will blow me away with its features and games but I'm not holding my breath. I have played on the wii u of a friend and it didn't look like the worst thing ever so it's not that. It's just that I don't see why I need two machines that do basically the same thing, except one is also a PC.
But modern 2D games cost the same as 3D games. The Wii U lacks a 3D Mario game which is a first since they went 3D. Maybe Nintendo made one but decided the Wii U wasn't worth releasing it on but they are going backwards instead of forward.
Super Mario 3D World

Super Mario 3D World plays like all the other 2D platformers, it has a Z axis but no camera control. I wouldn't consider it a traditional 3D Mario game along the lines of 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2. If you want to consider that game a 3D Mario then you just have to admit that they half assed this gens 3D Mario just like they half assed Kirby's game and really, Yoshi's game is like a sequel to Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Wii. It's like they don't want to put in the effort to make 3D HD games.

Nathan Josephs

Feb 10, 2012
Oh no the wii u didnt scare me off the NX. My experiences with the wii scared me off the wii u already so I learnt my lesson.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Level 7 Dragon said:

Wii was amazing at first, mainly because of Galaxy, Prime and Twilight princess. Mario Kart also coloured some lonely evening.

The problem with the WiiU is that there is no propper mario platformer, metroid nor zelda. The only title I'm interested in at the moment is Splatoon.

Another problem is how horrible Nintendo's service is in Eastern Europe. No amiibos, they don't even sell their consoles at retail anymore, you have to order everything from abroad. That and most of their support doesn't extend to Russia.

WeepingAngels said:
Pseudonym said:
WeepingAngels said:

Super Mario 3D World

Super Mario 3D World plays like all the other 2D platformers, it has a Z axis but no camera control. I wouldn't consider it a traditional 3D Mario game along the lines of 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2. If you want to consider that game a 3D Mario then you just have to admit that they half assed this gens 3D Mario just like they half assed Kirby's game and really, Yoshi's game is like a sequel to Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Wii. It's like they don't want to put in the effort to make 3D HD games.
If anything, it's the 2D Mario's that took 3D Mario's controls, like the long jump and triple jump. The only thing missing is the camera controls, which rarely, if ever, got in my way.

And as to why Nintendo didn't make a more open world 3D Mario - sales. The 3D Mario's just don't sell as well. Maybe people look at the 3D movement and think it's too hard. So instead Nintendo made 3D World more of a party game, with shorter levels and multiplayer. I found it to be very fun, and the later levels got larger, even more colorful, and even pay homage to the other 3D Mario games.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
ultrabiome said:
WeepingAngels said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Level 7 Dragon said:

WeepingAngels said:
Pseudonym said:
WeepingAngels said:

Super Mario 3D World

If anything, it's the 2D Mario's that took 3D Mario's controls, like the long jump and triple jump. The only thing missing is the camera controls, which rarely, if ever, got in my way.

And as to why Nintendo didn't make a more open world 3D Mario - sales. The 3D Mario's just don't sell as well. Maybe people look at the 3D movement and think it's too hard. So instead Nintendo made 3D World more of a party game, with shorter levels and multiplayer. I found it to be very fun, and the later levels got larger, even more colorful, and even pay homage to the other 3D Mario games.
If you believe they didn't make a true 3D Mario because of 3D game sales then you must believe they will never make another one. It's strange that you say that people dislike the controls of a true 3D Mario but also say that 3D World took those controls, then you say they made it because of higher sales on the 2D games. If they did it for higher sales but know that people dislike the true 3D controls....see where I am going here?

No, I think they made it because it was easier to make than a true 3D Mario. I don't believe they are done with 3D Mario games and I believe there is one in development and may have been in development for years but they didn't feel like the Wii U was worthy of releasing it.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Nintendo's appalling handing of localization is what scared me off buying the NX, as well as any future Nintendo products.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
ultrabiome said:
WeepingAngels said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Level 7 Dragon said:

WeepingAngels said:
Pseudonym said:
WeepingAngels said:

Super Mario 3D World

If you believe they didn't make a true 3D Mario because of sales then you must believe they will never make another one. It's strange that you say that people dislike the controls of a true 3D Mario but also say that 3D World took those controls, then you say they made it because of higher sales on the 2D games. If they did it for higher sales but know that people dislike the true 3D controls....see where I am going here?

No, I think they made it because it was easier to make than a true 3D Mario. I don't believe they are done with 3D Mario games and I believe there is one in development and may have been in development for years but they didn't feel like the Wii U was worthy of releasing it.
I said maybe, but I don't know why. I do know that the 3D Marios have lower sales than the 2D Marios. But after that, all either of us is doing is speculating on why Nintendo did it.

And even if I believe Nintendo did it for sales, I can still hope for Galaxy 3.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
ultrabiome said:
WeepingAngels said:
ultrabiome said:
WeepingAngels said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Level 7 Dragon said:

WeepingAngels said:
Pseudonym said:
WeepingAngels said:

Super Mario 3D World

If you believe they didn't make a true 3D Mario because of sales then you must believe they will never make another one. It's strange that you say that people dislike the controls of a true 3D Mario but also say that 3D World took those controls, then you say they made it because of higher sales on the 2D games. If they did it for higher sales but know that people dislike the true 3D controls....see where I am going here?

I said maybe, but I don't know why. I do know that the 3D Marios have lower sales than the 2D Marios. But after that, all either of us is doing is speculating on why Nintendo did it.

And even if I believe Nintendo did it for sales, I can still hope for Galaxy 3.
Either way, what they offered up on the Wii U was not for me. One of the major factors in the recent 2D games is multiplayer (of the worst kind) and it's present in 3D World too. No doubt that affected the level design.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
Both yes and no. The WiiU made me lose faith in Nintendo, but the NX being "mobile" based scared me off the NX.

GG Nintendo.
A little late to the party, but this pretty much summed up my own opinion. I had no desire to buy a Wii U. It really only had a few games that I was interested in. And seeing Nintendo abandon it as fast as they are only further hurts my desire to touch the thing.

Couple that with Nintendo's nonexistent third party support and this new system apparently being mobile focused and I'm not hopeful for the NX. Which is sad. I was somewhat interested in the new system until then. Now, I just know there will be a few games that I may find interesting, even want to play, but won't be touching.

Sep 14, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Yoshi178 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Yoshi178 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Yoshi178 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Yoshi178 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Yoshi178 said:
gmaverick019 said:
not directly, because the wii was the same way...

pretty much everything nintendo screams as "innovation" or touts as a feature, it's pretty much something I don't like or couldn't muster up even one fuck to give about. I've played enough of their flagship titles to know that the new ones don't offer anything I'm interested in, and their games lack pretty much everything I like in games.

also reflected in this, is their controllers, dear god did they get it right with the gamecube, but then they threw that away with the wii and wiiU, so I can only imagine the NX will be similar to that.

ps4 pretty much has the exclusives I'm interested in that aren't on pc, so nintendo is going to have to try 8 billion times harder if they want my money.
pretty much everything nintendo screams as "innovation" or touts as a feature,
and when they don't scream innovation no one gives a shit. like with Xenoblade for example...
it comes across like the kid who needs attention "look what I can do!" because he's a C student who is below average in pretty much everything in life.

Cool, but I have no interest in spending my money on it...like at all.

also you're referring to that game that had an artificial supply, hence they were selling for 90-100 dollars a pop for years, let alone if you could find one, and are just now getting back down to 65 bucks? That game?

yeah fuck that, Blizzactivision usually takes the cake on price gouging, but nintendo isn't far behind them when it comes to money.
Xenoblade Chronicles X came out december and there's still heaps of stock of it on the shelves......
you simply said "xenoblade" and I started off the with the wii in my original post, so I assumed you were referring to the first one...

but please, whatever makes you happy.
either way. people didn't give a shit about either of them and neither of them had control gimmicks as their focus.
er what? the artificial supply gouge is specifically what caused the prices to be crazy high for years, hence the "shit giving".

the wiiU has to be purchased with that stupid fucking tablet controller, I've used it tons of times and I still dislike it that it's a requirement package with the console, hence me even giving less of a shit about getting it than the wii. the games it has to offer are either party games (ones that I never need to buy) or have one or two exclusive single player games that I'm not vested in enough to consider buying a whole console for.
much cheaper than the other consoles.
still whinges because it has a controller he doesn't like included with the package despite not having to actually use it.
....and? I do maybe 2% of my gaming on consoles these days, my ps4 is pretty much a blu-ray/netflix/uncharted player until uncharted 4/kh3/ff15 and a couple more games come out, if I got a wiiU it would literally be a dust collector in my room. That goes double for the awful tablet controller that you are *required* to buy with the console, it's not even the fact that most games don't require its use, it's the fact that you have to buy/use it *at all*.
i bet you enjoy paying that $50 every year that's required for your online gaming.

nice try on a very wrong assumption there, but I have never paid for online on a console, and there is nothing on the ps4 that I want for online play.

But it was a lovely deflection off my post, since you couldn't seem to actually come up with anything to refute what I had said, please continue.
your whinging about getting a controller you don't want included with a new console.

you may as well whinge about having to buy a new console just so you can play uncharted/kh3/ff15. why not ***** to sony for forcing you to upgrade your console instead of just releasing a lower res version on PS3?

after all your PS3 can already play both blu-rays and netflix. why do you even have a console again? you basically just admitted your Playstation 4 is really actually just a MovieStation 4 anyway since blu-rays and netflix are the main things you use it for.
oh man, these deflections, they are so great! keep it up!

ah yes, because people love paying for something they don't want to use...totally makes sense. I'ts unnecessary hardware that makes the wiiU console more expensive than it needs to be. Sorry I can actually look at this without jerking off nintendo, since ya know, I'm the potential customer they're trying to get money from.

1) I don't have a ps3...so? not really upgrading there? You keep putting words in my mouth, let me catch my breath before you make me say something else!

2) I just mentioned the ones that I was personally for sure looking forward to and probably getting, I have bloodbourne and am gonna play that through the summer, and I'm also interested in horizon, persona 5, Nier Automata, and I might pick up ratchet and clank if my brother wants to play it with me...

but beyond that, please keep deflecting off topic about the playstation 4, this is great, I might need to get some popcorn for this.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
No its hasnt. As a console I feel the WiiU is better than the Wii with a gimmick that at least is more useful but unfortunately it has seen even less killer games than the Wii which was already pretty thin on that front.

The WiiU is the first Nintendo console I have not enjoyed a single first party IP. I have enjoyed the hell out of the exclusives which are Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X (although this paled in comparison to its amazing predecessor then again Chronicles on the Wii is one of the finest games ever made imo.)

I guess I am finally tired of their IPs and they have done little to move forwards with the times since the GC. Unless they can get some more third party support and exclusives on the level of Bayonetta 2 again I will likely be giving the NX a pass meaning it will be alone with the NES as the only Nintendo console I dont own.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
I really feel like there should've been more options then yes or no.

I'm a PC Gamer, so the XB and PS Have no interest to me. The reason I have a Wii U is because that has all the things I can't get on the PC that I like. It has the Nintendo imagination I can't get anywhere else. So in that respect it would encourage me to get the NX.

What discourages me from the NX is that I seldom use the bloody Wii U, and still got games I want to get through on it. Mostly VC things like Advance wars and the Mario RPG's.

So to answer the question, sort of? It's not because the Wii U was terrible or anything, It's because I have mood swings in what I want to play, and for the longest time I had to choose between playing on my CPU, or playing on my Wii U, making the Wii U fall short since it was too much effort to switch between the two. It's having to not only BUY a new console, but having to find space for it too? My physical Wii U situation is more discouraging then anything it has actually done.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I used my Wii U a heck of a lot more than my Wii.

Thankfully, most games on the Wii U (that I've played, anyway) don't require any silly Nintendo gimmick controls, so they're much more enjoyable for me.

//Glares at Star Fox
*WITH SOME EXCEPTIONS*

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
No, the original wii however has scared me enough that I won't get either of them. The Wii U was a corrective step but not NEARLY enough of one to undo the harm the wii did. If it wasn't region locked I might have even gotten one but presently my plan is to wait many years until the jp ones are dirt cheap and get one of them as every game I want to play on the Wii U has had some of censorship done to it and a couple lack the dual audio that their prequels on the wii had. If nx has backwards compatibility with the wii u, that would be a good first step.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
No. I've actually enjoyed the Wii U so far. I definitely enjoy its games much more than I did with the Wii.

However, I am scared about the NX. Since E3 last year, Nintendo has been making plenty of stupid decisions. And the fact that I haven't heard any news about the NX isn't helping. I'm hoping to find out more at this year's E3, but I'm keeping my expectations low.