Poll: Has watching gameplay online, such as a Lets Play, made you decide not to get a game?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
If it's a game that I only would have got for the story and not the game play then I'd rather just watch an LP instead of actually playing the game. I will try and avoid any LPs of games I actually intend to play at some point though.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I don't really count because I don't buy a game unless I see enough of it to justify this kind of a sale. Well, unless it's really damn cheap.

Let's Plays have only showed me what games I am missing out on though. I usually turn them off early on when convinced.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Counting 'Other' as my 'Both' count. An LP is a good way to get a feel for a game, good OR bad.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Quite the opposite - I watch LPs because I'm not going to get the game.
This too for me. Most of the time I am trying to play a game as much "blind" as possible to enjoy the surprices it have.
But if the game isn't interesting me, then I stop and then maybe I see a Let's play for curiosity.
For example trying to play FF13 was painful and boring [for me]...so I watched some cutscenes/gameplay and then the f*cking ending. OMG the ENDING!!!! >:C

SweetLemonTea

Dec 18, 2012
Lps made me buy rainbow six, senran kagura, salt and sanctuary and other games that go over my radar. But I also tend to watch Lps of games that I've never planned on buying mostly narrative based ones such as Life is strange and Fire watch

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
No, watching a let's play does not replace the experience of playing the game myself. In that way, LPs don't affect my purchase of a game. However, I will watch some footage to help me figure out if the game is something I want to buy. Seeing the game being played is obviously much different from promotional material and helps me make a more informed decision.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Technically yes, Let's Plays have made me NOT buy a video game, but it has made me BUY way more than not. I actually did a poll similar to this a few months ago, asking how many games people bought based on a Let's Play, ranging from 1-5 games to 20+. And the majority of people who voted, were in the 5+ categories. The smallest body of voters (as I can recall), were those who didn't use Let's Plays to buy games.

Personally, the only reason I didn't buy the games on the Let's Plays that I saw, was that the game just didn't appeal to me. It looked interesting at first, but after actually seeing how the game played, I realized it wasn't for me.

However, I've probably bought, at this point, about 20+ games, specifically because of Let's Plays. And maybe 2-3 were not bought by me, because of Let's Plays.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Where is this "both" option you speak of? I can't see it. Unless you meant "Other"?

Anyway, I don't actually watch Let's Plays. I mean, I have decided to buy or not buy games based on gameplay I've seen, but those videos weren't from channels focused on Let's Plays.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Voted "Other" because they have both increased and decreased my interest in playing any given game. They are mostly a nice reference for experiencing something you'd rather not put the time, energy or money into playing yourself. Bonus points when the commentary is more entertaining than the game itself.

I'm a big MST3K fan though, so that helps.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I fin LP's and quick looks from Youtube gamers like Best Friends and ToalBiscuit as the best ways for me to see what games are like, especially as a lot of official stuff these days is either CGI or 'in engine' footage. I'm also not a fan of most conventional gaming sites, due to (IMHO) AAA bias and unusually high scores.

I have both bought and not bought games based on LP's most recently I picked up Enter The Gungeon thanks to Jim Sterling and Best Friends coverage of it. Pat actually sold me on it by mentioning he didn't like Binding Of Isaacs first 10 minutes as the're pretty boring and not too fun to play, compared to Gungeon where it's fun and hectic off the bat - something I totally agree with.