Poll: Has your phobia prevented your from completing the game?

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
There are many phobias out there. Some are better known like claustrophobia and dentophobia and some less known like caligynephobia (fear of beautiful women). But have you been unable to finish a game because of your phobia?

Personally I've an arachnophobia (fear of spiders) which prevented me from playing through the Dark Messiah. There is a part where during a boss fight dozens of gigantic spider pop from the ground. Phobia put together with nice graphics were enough to ignite following reaction: I screamed like never before out of terror, turned my face away from the monitor, closed my eyes and just mashed the keyboard. Even my older sister who usually mind her own bussines came to see if I had rolled over my toes with my chair or broken a finger ecetera. Luckily I was soon killed and thorwn to menu to cool my jets. I tried it later some times but couldn't complete the sequence.

So has your phobia prevented you from playing a game?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Yes. I have phagophobia. Unfortunately for me, several games feature vore levels. I have no idea why. Apparently several different developers think that having a level take place inside some abominations digestive system is a great idea. These levels always make me incredibly nauseous to the point where I usually can't even force myself to watch them, let alone play them. This has led to me abandoning a number of games because of vore levels. Or I got one of my brothers to beat them for me. It has also lead to me being very paranoid in the purchase of some game. I'll be worried about it having a vore level in it, as I can't beat a game if it does.

Oddly enough a lot of these levels were in video game I played as a kid, which is something I've never quite understood. Guts spilling out of someone's body = bad and mentally scarring for a young child. Walking through someone's guts = perfectly acceptable.

meganmeave said:
No. But man, it would be cool to be that into a game that it did.
It's not cool. It's actually very frustrating to have a game you can't complete because of your phobia. Especially if it was a game you liked playing.

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
I can't play any game that has A level in the ocean. I can play water levels no problem, but for some reason, I cant play any game in the ocean. That's why I'm a little worried about WoW's upcoming expantion.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yeah, my water fear stopped me from finishing SoTC. Sucks, 'cos it was really good.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Arachnophobia prevented me from finishing one level in jak and daxter. Spiders in games I'm usually alright with, but there's the level where you're just SWAMPED with nonstop spider waves. They kept coming and coming, and the cave was dark and finally I died and shut off the game system and cried.

I'm also agoraphobic but the only game that has ever given me vertigo was Halo. There's a sniping exploit where you can climb really high up. When I turned around, I got vertigo like if I was looking down from a height in real life. It was actually kind of cool. Most of my fear of heights=fear of falling, so in a game the fear part of it isn't really there.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
i had a fear of needles, hospitals, and hights
im now a rock climber getting a tattoo (cant w8)
but hospitals seems like a safe one to keep
though ive never been scared of something in a game
cos its not actualy real i guess...but i can see something related to somethigns apperance could be.
im sorry man. i would have loled at u...
and dont worry dark messiah gets ass shortly after the spiders...
and the spiders are ass anyway...
EDIT: W8! i do go kinda wierd when my character on screen falls from really high
like im scared of him hitting the ground
and then it happens and im kl...
its really odd...
it has 2 be REALLY high though.

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
Strangely, it hasn't affected me. I hate spiders myself, but apparently only the regular sized ones (go figure). Giants spiders simply present me with a target. A large target at that. I sure hope something like this hits me, though.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
No, but when I was getting my GF into PC games I always had to do any sections involving spiders or spider-like creatures because she couldn't deal with them. So basically the D&D games (on the Baldur's Gate engine) with sections in the Underdark.

Some games have made me a bit uneasy, such as the section in Max Payne with the trail of blood and the baby crying- I needed to mute the TV for that one- and the occasional creepy bits in some FPS games (when they're done right) but never have I been unable to continue due to a phobia.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
No, not that I know of. The only thing that comes to mind is the things that happen in the likes of FEAR that scare you momentarily.

Having said that when I was younger I got scared when watching a cutscene or something from Starcraft and immediately uninstalled it in fear. I then re-installed it after a day and thoroughly enjoyed playing it :)

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
No because my phobia only happens when noclipping outside a map that has a black skybox, so it doesn't come up during a regular game.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
I'm afraid of heights, but usually it doesn't matter to me in video games. I'm a little bit claustrophobic but that's never really mattered to me either.

Although a fear of loneliness in dark places with the threat of being attacked? Yeah, that's stopped me a few times from finishing games.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Nah, I may be scared to attempt levels but I never stopped playing a game because I fear it.

And arachnaphobes should watch this video:

I must say, it's hilarious freaking arachnaphobes out, more so when I'm not afraid of them and scare arachnaphobes for happiness.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I have a friend who won't play Dragon Age because of the spiders.

Awake-

Jun 7, 2010
Entomophobia. Left Fallout 3 on the shelf for a year straight. I made it past the Radroaches and the ants. I nearly fainted after beating the Ant Queen.