Poll: Have games started getting more innovative?

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Assassin's Creed, Portal, Mirror's Edge, Braid, Far Cry 2, and Little Big Planet are all innovative and they're great steps in their own right.

Assassin's Creed was truly amazing. Sure it was a bit repetitive and the guy who voiced Altair was horrible, but it made a ton of great steps in the right direction. The free-running gameplay and the control scheme were near perfect and the animations were the best I've ever seen. The combat was beautiful, but not difficult. The three cities in the game and the kingdom that connected them worked so well with the whole free-running thing and the cities were so accurately created. I still play Assassin's creed since I love running on the rooftops, making massive jumps, killing a peasant or two, and climbing up to a high place to do a leap of faith. The replayability depends entirely on the player and for me, it's nearly unlimited.

Portal was magnificently innovative. Using portals to solve mind boggling and extremely unique puzzles is something that I don't think anyone had thought of before (except the guys who made the game that it was based off of, too bad i forget the name of that game).

Mirrors Edge was extremely flawed and didn't have much replay value, but the way it handled the free running was genius. It was definitely a step in the right direction, now all the need to do is work on making the levels more varied and the combat less clunky and painfully awkward.

Braid is a game that I still play every once in a while. The way it uses the classic rewind and fast forward time mechanic to solve increasingly difficult puzzles is pretty innovative. I mean we've all played at least a few games in which the main protagonist has the ability to rewind, stop, and fast forward time, but Braid was the first game to use that to solve puzzles.

Now, many of you may be wondering why in purpleplots name did I mention Far Cry 2. One of the reasons it's on my list is because of the way it handles the classic FPS. It's like the original Far Cry, but with better graphics (unless you're on the 360 lol) and a more realistic-ish health system, but that's not the main reason why it's on my list. The main reason why I think it's innovative is the map editor. Far Cry 2 has the most comprehensive and complete map editor for any console game and I think that's pretty damn special. If you get the 360 version and go into the map section, you'll see a map with a space station above mars and a bunch of shuttles and rovers on the surface, you'll see Helms Deep, there's a Jurassic Park map, there's one extremely disorienting 4d map, there's the Eiffel tower, the Golden Gate Bridge, an alien space ship, an amusement park with a roller coaster and a water slide, there's venice, etc...

Little Big planet is the most unique platformer I've ever even heard about. It's got unlimited replayability because the editing tools are so extensive and the community is so well done and easy to navigate. Add that with it's undeniable charm and you've got one great game and very innovative game.

Also, I think Crysis is worth mentioning here. The graphics are the best in any videogame ever and the way that the graphics directly influence the open world gameplay is something special. So yes, I do think games are starting to get extremely innovative; however, for every innovative and great game that comes out, there's at least 5 crappy generic "samey" ones.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
DirkGently said:
crimson5pheonix said:
DirkGently said:
DangerChimp said:
To make even the hokiest, most cliched and unoriginal piece of gaming dreck one needs a degree of creativity. So, in other words, creativity has never left the gaming industry.

There has, instead, been a choking of it. This is in large part driven by what sells -- which, in many cases, is hoky, cliched, unoriginal dreck like Halo 3. There wasn't a single original concept in that game, yet it sold better than sliced bread.

Until we decide we prefer depth of story, cogent narrative and exciting gameplay with none of the three sacrificed for the others, we will continue to see the choking of creativity in full effect.

I, for one, remain hopeful. After all, there are tons of games like Mirror's Edge, Fable 2, Portal and dozens of others that try to break the mold and do something original.
Y'know, maybe Halo 3 sold like crazy because it was fun. I'll never understand why people are so down on it. Why can't we have games as deep as the Marianas Trench and games as deep as a swimming pool? I'm all for a seriously deep game, but I don't know if I want that at the loss of simple fun games like Halo.
Halo 3 sold well because it was built on a brand name. My friends who own it play Halo 2 more than Halo 3.
Those are your friends. What about all the people playing it right now? Surely they bought and play it because they have fun playing it. I mean, I don't I play it much; I am not in the habit of playing it, so I don't do well and don't have the patience to re-learn it. I do play the campaign on occasion when the mood strikes, though. Of course, your friends could just be playing Halo 2 because they like to BXR and BXB as well as the bullet magnetism and all that stuff. I don't mean to start anything but the people I know who still play H2 do so mainly because of that stuff.
Yeah, but if you cut out the sails of people who went back to Halo 2, Halo 3 probably would have sold poorly. I don't know if my friends play Halo 2 for those reasons though, I don't play either.
I really, really doubt that.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
DirkGently said:
crimson5pheonix said:
DirkGently said:
crimson5pheonix said:
DirkGently said:
DangerChimp said:
To make even the hokiest, most cliched and unoriginal piece of gaming dreck one needs a degree of creativity. So, in other words, creativity has never left the gaming industry.

There has, instead, been a choking of it. This is in large part driven by what sells -- which, in many cases, is hoky, cliched, unoriginal dreck like Halo 3. There wasn't a single original concept in that game, yet it sold better than sliced bread.

Until we decide we prefer depth of story, cogent narrative and exciting gameplay with none of the three sacrificed for the others, we will continue to see the choking of creativity in full effect.

I, for one, remain hopeful. After all, there are tons of games like Mirror's Edge, Fable 2, Portal and dozens of others that try to break the mold and do something original.
Y'know, maybe Halo 3 sold like crazy because it was fun. I'll never understand why people are so down on it. Why can't we have games as deep as the Marianas Trench and games as deep as a swimming pool? I'm all for a seriously deep game, but I don't know if I want that at the loss of simple fun games like Halo.
Halo 3 sold well because it was built on a brand name. My friends who own it play Halo 2 more than Halo 3.
Those are your friends. What about all the people playing it right now? Surely they bought and play it because they have fun playing it. I mean, I don't I play it much; I am not in the habit of playing it, so I don't do well and don't have the patience to re-learn it. I do play the campaign on occasion when the mood strikes, though. Of course, your friends could just be playing Halo 2 because they like to BXR and BXB as well as the bullet magnetism and all that stuff. I don't mean to start anything but the people I know who still play H2 do so mainly because of that stuff.
Yeah, but if you cut out the sails of people who went back to Halo 2, Halo 3 probably would have sold poorly. I don't know if my friends play Halo 2 for those reasons though, I don't play either.
Well, there's no real way to know, besides even if we go to more inventive games, GoW and Halo style games are here to stay.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I voted no, but I do have some positive feelings regarding this issue. Although there are a lot of sequels, I feel that within some of those titles, new and innovative gameplay mediums have come to light.

Fable 2, for example, has the dog. When I played the game, I felt that the dog was infinitely better than a mini-map, and thus, made the game feel more innovative and unique.

Within sports games such as FIFA 09, the 10v10 online gameplay was a great innovation, and I feel that it's keeping the game fresh and new.

In Madden and the NBA games, the constant updates on players, statistics and rosters makes the games feel more realistic and improves the overall quality of gaming experiences.

Although these aren't unique "IP's" I believe that they are a step in the right direction into bringing us back to more creative games and gameplay ideas.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
DirkGently said:
crimson5pheonix said:
DirkGently said:
crimson5pheonix said:
DirkGently said:
DangerChimp said:

Well, there's no real way to know, besides even if we go to more inventive games, GoW and Halo style games are here to stay.
Quite. Because they're fun. Speaking of which, I'm off to go commit reckless acts of violence. Ta-ta!

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Well in a big huge freaking way NO but then I got hold of Portal and to be honest the game play in that was fairly innovative, it at least made me actually think about what I was doing in the game world which is something a game hasn't really made me do in a while.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
Portal was magnificently innovative. Using portals to solve mind boggling and extremely unique puzzles is something that I don't think anyone had thought of before (except the guys who made the game that it was based off of, too bad i forget the name of that game).
Thinking of Prey, perhaps?

It had some interesting portal and physics effects, although I personally think the game got boring pretty quickly, unlike Portal which was a blast all the way through. The whole concept of walking through a door or into an open box and ending up in a completely different room was awesome, and could be used very well in horror-themed games.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Creativity is difficult to judge in games these days. The trouble is, that as recently as 20 years ago, EVERY game was new and creative. How many 2D side-scrollers did you play. Now look me in the eye and tell me Sonic was the same as Mario, was the same as Comix Zone.

In our lifetimes, we remember or were at least exposed to the wild west of console gaming. When people's expectations were well behind the apparent magic that companies were managing to create. When every game had something new to try, but so little had been tried before.

These days, it's harder to break the mold, or reinvent the wheel. Improvement, and innovative ideas are still there, but to spend the millions needed for modern development on an idea so crazy no one has tried in thirty or forty years of gaming, it's difficult.

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
I think there's always been creativity in gaming. One of the systems that usually show a lot of creativity is Nintendo (when its not repeating the same three games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) over and over again or catering to random RPGs). The thing is, a lot of them are kind of childish (Cooking Mama?). But occasionally we see something new and actually cool looking (like No More Heroes or the new MadWorld). The thing is, a lot of the games (Fallout 3, Fable 2) coming out now are trying to get away with recycling an old idea with a couple modifications made.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
JediMB said:
Eipok Kruden said:

It had some interesting portal and physics effects, although I personally think the game got boring pretty quickly, unlike Portal which was a blast all the way through. The whole concept of walking through a door or into an open box and ending up in a completely different room was awesome, and could be used very well in horror-themed games.
No, I was thinking of "Narbacular Drop." I just found the name for it, had forgotten it.

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
Games are always becoming more innovative as new games have new ideas, but some people want very obvious originality, which is a tall order that is rarely achieved. We always moan about constant sequels, a lack of new games etc., and sometimes fail to notice the way that these games have evolved and included fresh ideas. That's what games need and what they already have: not revolution but evolution.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
ender214 said:
I think there's always been creativity in gaming. One of the systems that usually show a lot of creativity is Nintendo (when its not repeating the same three games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) over and over again or catering to random RPGs).
They use the branding like it was ketchup or table salt, but if you look behind that, most of the Mario, Zelda and Metroid games contain heaps more gameplay innovation than Generic FPS #45. They even go straight across genres. (Mario Galaxy - Paper Mario - Dr. Mario - Smash Brothers - et cetera.)

If I had to make a choice between that, and getting new novel characters and backdrops, gameplay wins hands down.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
JediMB said:
Eipok Kruden said:

No, I was thinking of "Narbacular Drop." I just found the name for it, had forgotten it.
Ah, I'd never heard of that before, but Wikipedia says the team that did Narbacular is the same as the one that made Portal for Valve.