Poll: Have you ever been in love?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Ickorus said:
Happy? My first and only experience of real love ended horribly for me; It's been years and I still haven't managed to open up to anyone else yet.

I suppose love to me is feeling happy simply to be in the presence of the person I feel it for and putting them above all else, even if in doing so it makes you look like a fool.
Well you know what they say: "it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
LiberalSquirrel said:
DesiPrinceX09 said:
-story snip-
Aw, that's so sweet! I was wondering if there'd be something like that in this thread. Thank you for sharing such an adorably romantic story, and best of luck to you and your lady friend. ^.^
Thanks! ^_^
Very nice of you to say that. I thought I'd share my success story in this thread because it seemed appropriate. Let my story be proof that even the shyest and quietest geeky guys like myself can get a girl because as my girlfriend firmly believes: "Even if there are no soulmates I still believe there is someone for everyone, just have to find the right one and be patient". I didn't really believe in love (for me at least) and that I could ever have a relationship until I found her, I know that sounds incredibly cheezy but it's true. Who says video games can't bring people together? :D

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
DesiPrinceX09 said:
Thanks! ^_^
Very nice of you to say that. I thought I'd share my success story in this thread because it seemed appropriate. Let my story be proof that even the shyest and quietest geeky guys like myself can get a girl because as my girlfriend firmly believes: "Even if there are no soulmates I still believe there is someone for everyone, just have to find the right one and be patient". I didn't really believe in love (for me at least) and that I could ever have a relationship until I found her, I know that sounds incredibly cheezy but it's true. Who says video games can't bring people together? :D
Goodness, you're going to overload me with "Ohmigosh-that's-so-adorable!" feelings. Because it really is. That's a really sweet sentiment, and it's great that everything is working out so well for you two.

And I agree with your girlfriend, there's absolutely someone for everyone. Truth be told, I have no idea where the idea that "shy, quiet, geeky guys aren't going to get girls" has come from. I find geeky guys much more interesting than the uber-macho types. Gaming's one of my favorite hobbies, and anyone who can share that with me is good in my book. ^.^

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Certainly. The first time I believed I found it, but was sorely mistaken because I had actually convinced myself that I loved her. I was dead wrong. *****.

As for the girl I'm currently with, we took things slow, I didn't jump into a relationship with her right away, and it was the right steps that I took to really find out if I wanted to be with her. I learned from past mistakes and I'm doing everything right now. She's wonderful and while I still have some trust issues from my past relationship, I don't let them get in the way of showing this girl my true feelings for her. She is really something special to me.

What love really is to me? It's a connection that is almost impossible to explain. When you're happy, they're happy as well. Your emotions are connected. Everything just feels right.

rogerroger

Oct 25, 2011
I wish i wasnt, but I am. I dont like relationships, I didnt want to meet the love of my life, but I did.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
I was in love once. Or, at least I thought was at the time. I chose to leave it unrequited out of fear and the circumstances surrounding it. I was unprepared for the consequences and trials that it carried.

As for my definition of love, well, it's something I was never able to put into words. I looked at what others thought it was and I was taken by surprise at the words they used. Words like "selfless" and "need," words I refused. To me, to love is to see in someone one who ascends to the standard to which you hold yourself. To rejoice in the knowledge that there is someone like you and to admire them for it. Love is the most selfish of all emotions, the catalyst through which all others are made more potent.

I was unable to articulate that for some time. I was so unsure of the words that I was afraid to try to speak them.

It was later that I discovered that very definition. Someone years before had said what I felt I was incapable of saying:

"Love is an expression and assertion of self-esteem, a response to one's own values in the person of another. One gains a profoundly personal, selfish joy from the mere existence of the person one loves. It is one's own personal, selfish happiness that one seeks, earns, and derives from love."

That someone was Ayn Rand.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
I am a hopeless romantic, so yes though I usually fight my cynical mind because of being burned before.

As for family I love my son with all my heart.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
i havent been in love yet but since im turning 26 at the end of the year im hoping to finally get a romantic partner before then *cross fingers for himself*

im getting myself out a lot more these days so theres only hope yet to find a gamer girl who likes cooking and sports and music and stuff!

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Seeing as how I have never been in a relationship yet, no. But I have been infatuated many times before.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Your poll has been eaten.

Love, eh. I might've been, but since I've only felt it once, and it was most definitely unrequited, I honestly can't say.

LiberalSquirrel said:
Truth be told, I have no idea where the idea that "shy, quiet, geeky guys aren't going to get girls" has come from.
Said girls not knocking on my front door, or walking around the streets at night like I do probably doesn't help clear up that apparent misconception.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Yeah, but it didn't work out, so here I am, single for years.

As for love, to me it's being willing to live, die, and kill for someone.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've really got to stay out of these topics. The responses of other people always depress me.
Anyway, yes I've been in love; several times, each time is an emotional scar upon my soul that will never go away (because the relationship failed).

As for my personal definition, well Love, at least as for as the romantic variety, I believe is a deep affection for someone that so strong that you'd be willing to sacrifice your own happiness for theirs if necessary.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Yes I have. I am not anymore, and hopefully never again.

To me love is the gift of yourself. I really don't know how to explain it.

Elo125

Oct 19, 2010
Yeah, I have. It's overrated. It makes you blind to obvious things, it makes you make stupid mistakes and decisions because that person's happiness is more important to you than your own. I wanted to be with that person no matter what, it took me five years of my life until I realised how destructive a force she was in my life. I lost most of my friends, my self-respect and my chance to get a good education during that time.

Sorry to be a downer like this, I'm not even upset about it anymore. You make mistakes, all you can do is try to never repeat them. ^_^ But yeah, if I never fall in love again I'll be perfectly happy with that. Ever letting myself be that vulnerable was the biggest mistake of my life.

Disclaimer: Just want to point out that I'm not emo or even depressed. I'm really happy being single and while I see falling in love as my biggest mistake ever I don't regret it. How else would I have learned?

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
LarenzoAOG said:
I have been romantically interested in two special ladies, I suppose that is one of my definitions of love. Unfortunately one was married and I haven't seen one in years and may never see her again.

I would also do anything within reason for a lot of people, such as my family and friends, I would hate to lose them, would do most anything to make them happy, and I am usually happy to be around them, so I guess that would also qualify as love.
Actually, I think the Greeks had a great idea. They had many words for love (just look up "Greek words for love"), each with different meanings and applications. I particularly like the distinction between passionate love, unconditional love and brotherly love (like that between good friends). Now I need to go re-memorise them all, thanks a lot ;)

OT: I don't think I've ever been in romantic love, but I love my family and my friends (though I'd imagine that isn't what you are asking about).

EDIT:
crudus said:
Yes I have. I am not anymore, and hopefully never again.

To me love is the gift of yourself. I really don't know how to explain it.
May I perhaps hazard a guess?
Love involves giving yourself to another person completely, meaning all your barriers come down. The down-side is that without your defenses up, and with them meaning so much to you, it is incredibly easy for them to cause you a great deal of harm.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Once upon a time for two years, turned out to be chemical infatuation though. Ah well it was fun while it lasted.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
BabyRaptor said:
krazykidd said:
So for my 1000th post, i wanted to talk about something happy. So the obvious thing is love. My question for you escapist is:

Have you ever been in love? and also what is your personal definition of love?

Heres to hoping you guys will come in great numbers and tell of your experience.
Have I ever told you that I love your avatar, OP? That was a truly spectacular game.

Yes, I have been in love. I'd daresay I am right now, in fact. It's the most amazing feeling in the world.

There's just nothing like hearing from him first thing in the morning. Or those random moments of affection out of nowhere.

I could ramble.
Thats Legends of Legaia isn't it? Best JRPG of its generation.

As for the question, my answer is yes.