Poll: Have you ever been in sauna?

Bocca

Jan 17, 2008
Im just wondering how many of you have been in a sauna, or do you know what a sauna even is? I have ofcourse been and go there every saturday, but what a about you? It would be intresting to hear your opinion of sauna.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I havent been in a sauna, but I have been in a hot spring. It was around 45 degress celsius, It was fun.

Damn Dirty Ape

Oct 10, 2007
Yeh, the mother of a close friend of mine owns the gym where I work out meaning I can spend some extra time there with my friend after it's closed. They have a little sauna build in, it's not that bad to sweat the nastyness out of your body now and then.

As for a public sauna with lots of nekkid old men, no.

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
My dad actually built a wood stove-heated one a few years back so now whenever I visit him we fire it up to about 180 degrees Fahrenheit and get in there. Yes, naked. Then we pour water all over the stove to steam it up and really get sweating, and take turns going out and dunking in a stock tank full of ice cold water. :D Saunas are awesome.

KurtNiisan

Sep 25, 2007
Saunas are fantastic devices that are regularly used in addition to exercise for weight-loss and aid in the clearing of acne and blackheads in the skins because you're sweating so goddamn much your pores can't keep the dirty shit in there ^^

KurtNiisan

Sep 25, 2007
Yeah trust me, they're awesome. Need to do it on a regular basis to see weight-loss effects, and normally you should only be in a sauna for around 20-30 minutes at a time, but they are very relaxing. Don't fall asleep ^_^

Bocca

Jan 17, 2008
sammyfreak said:
Dont they only affect weight-loss by dehydration?
No, theres many, many more benefits you can get from sauna. Like, your sperms quality gets better ^^.
E: Seriously.

brkl

Jul 12, 2006
Any weight-loss theory is bullshit. When having a sauna, keep yourself hydrated.

Finland almost certainly has the most saunas per capita and we're also the second fattest, right after you guys. There may be some slight health benefits, but the number one reason for having a sauna is that it's relaxing as hell.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I've been in once a long while ago and didn't really enjoy it. I like my coldness (which is strange for being an Australian). But hearing that it clears pimples and makes your sperm better has made me think otherwise bout them. Might try it again.

brkl

Jul 12, 2006
If it makes our sperm better, how come we have such a low birth-rate? :p

PurpleRain, it's unlikely you got to try a proper sauna. Even if you did, I expect it takes some getting used to like all the good things in life (except chocolate). p1ne had the right idea. 180F is not overblown at all.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
I thought cold temperatures make your sperm better. Then again, I am basing this off an episode of King of the Hill where Hank had a low sperm count and he had to wear shorts and sit on a cooler.

Anywho, I like saunas, but I've only been in public ones. And only about 2 or 3 times in my life.

Heathen92

Nov 30, 2007
I go every other day or so, after an indoor workout. And while i don't know about weight loss; it's definitely good for the skin and relaxes tense muscles after a workout.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
My friend has one in her basement that I go in sometimes. I don't like public ones though, as they seem to always be home to the hairiest old men conceivable.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
brkl said:
Finland almost certainly has the most saunas per capita and we're also the second fattest,
That'll be all the alcohol. Never met a Finn who wasn't a massive drinker.

Saunas are good for you though. Good for circulation, and good for helping resistance against some viruses and bacteria which breed more slowly at higher body temperatures.