Poll: Have you ever been mistaken for the opposite gender?

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
Chibz said:
Cap said:
Online? Yes, but mostly because people don't check profiles.
Yeah, that's way more common than you'd think. If it's any consolation I at least TRY to remember to check someone's profile before referring to them as a him/her/it.
I know how common it is. I've experienced it.

I tend to profile stalk a little, but not in the forums unless someone seems interesting.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Arontala said:
icame said:
Arontala said:
interspark said:
Arontala said:
Opposite gender? No.

I have, however, been mistaken for a rock. No, I'm not even joking.
... are you like.... really really lazy or something? :/
I really have no god damned clue. It was a while ago, and all I really remember was me sitting outside wearing a grey sweater, and someone somehow mistook me as being a rock.
Did you inquire on their mental state? I would love to know the drugs they were on.
No, the guy she was with gave her a really weird look, and said " That's a person. "

I didn't think that I needed to intercede after that.

On a completely unrelated note, this new captcha system makes me rage. Cut down on spam? I've seen maybe three spam posts ever.
I agree on the whole captcha thing. That guy just must of been completely out of it...

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Lawnmooer said:
I've been mistaken for a girl a few time, back when I was 13-14 ish and had hair down to my waist...

But after I turned around and people saw my beard and whatnot they realised their mistake.
You had a beard when you were 13!?? You must have been one manly boy when you growing up...

OT: I don't remember ever being mistakened for a girl. I look like a boy and always have.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
at first the results were staggering to me, then the more i think about it, the more i realize how feminine men are these days. I may be pretty crass in this assessment but if you are mistaken as the opposite gender you're probably failing at being your intended gender. Unless you are a herm, then carry on.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Yeah back when I was a scrawny long haired teenager I was mistaken for a girl a few times. Was a little offended at the time, couldn't care less now. Mind you hair is now short, put on some muscle and have a beard now so somewhat hard to make that mistake now.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I went to a chippy and ordered my stuff, lady walks out again: "Who ordered the large chip? Oh that wee girl." Stupid bat, I had slight facial hair, and she saw my face.

Coldflame727

Jul 14, 2011
I have, but not until I spoke. I have a VERY deep monotone, so that made it obvious they were wrong. They probably thought I was a girl because of my slightly wider hips than normal and the fact that I dyed my hair pink and it was down to my shoulders... And afterwards they thought I was gay. No I'm not, but I have nothing against homosexuals.

blackfrancis567

Oct 18, 2008
Yes when I was younger and had long hair.. Some old woman thought me and my girlfriend at the time were lesbians which I took offence to because she openly commented on it (Old Irish people can be very direct)

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
On the internet constantly, but never that I know of in person. I've worn some pretty short hairstyles, too, so I'm kind of surprised.

sakegirl14

Sep 27, 2008
I haven but one of my friends gets mistaken for a girl all the time. He has long hair and is really skinny.

secretshadow90

Feb 10, 2009
I had really short hair in 5th and 6th grade because when long my hair is a curly thick untouchable mess. I hadn't quite gone through all the motions of puberty so a couple upper classman thought I was a boy. I was mildly annoyed but really didn't care as I didn't interact with them much. This has led my mom to despise it every time I get my hair cut above shoulder length.

Jast

Mar 18, 2009
It happens all the time to me, but there really is no good way to recover from that mistake when you call someone by their opposite gender. For me it's not just my looks. I try to sound all chipper and happy when I answer the phone at work and every time I am called "ma'am". I don't bother to correct people on this though and sometimes try to see how long I can keep it up. I try to look on the bright side though. At least I can be mistaken for looking like the prettier sex. ^-^

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Well, I'm crazy tall and have a bit of facial hair, so no; however, when I'm clean-shaven and have short hair, I think I could theoretically pass for androgyny.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Yeah, but it was from about 200 feet away and I was hunched over wearing a hoodie. Some old guy was yelling at me and obviously couldn't see what I was.

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
Yep.
Course, I was sitting hunched in the corner of a train, wearing a heavy blue coat.
Still made an already frustrating birthday worse.