Poll: Have you ever bought a game you knew nothing about before seeing in the store?

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
When I was a kid, I did that a lot (Mostly because I had no internet connection, or any way of knowing games beforehand until I got a subscription to Gameinformer.)

I was really into JRPGs, so I remember buying stuff like Tales of Symphonia, Final Fantasy X, and Suikoden. Other than that most games I bought were either based on a show or movie I like, or something I saw a friend of mine playing, like Wind Waker and Kingdom Hearts.

Well, there was another time when I was looking for a PSP game, but was stumped, so my Dad just picked one at random, which was Medievil: Resurrection. I remember not liking that game at first, but as I decided to play on, it grew on me.

hybridial

Feb 24, 2015
I think the only time I ever did this was for a game on the PS2 called 10,000 Bullets. It was only released in Japan and Europe, in Japan it was called Tsuyiko Ni Sibara. It was a very cool game, essentially a very unique arcade shooter based around Bullet time in a far more fundamental way than Max Payne was. I actually beat it and had a good time doing so, so it was definitely a win for taking a risk that day.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I think only once. It was Okami. I'd not heard of it, but my sight was drawn to the box art, and when I looked on the back, I thought it was worth a gamble. Played it for a bit then got distracted by something else, and it wasn't until years later I picked it back up again. Love the game.

There was one time when I wish I did. I saw Xenoblade Chronicles in a store for £5, but decided against opting for it until I found out a bit more about it. Fast forward to now when the cheapest I've seen it (in stock) is around the £40-£50 region, with some craven optimists wanting more than £100 on ebay.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I never bought a game that I knew nothing about..why would I want to throw my money away on an unknown? My budget is limites as it is. This never happened be it for a physical copy or digital.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Yep, several times over the years. Granted about half of those games I bought for my brother because Gamestop was having a sale on PS2 games and he wasn't in town and had no way to take advantage of the sale before it was over.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I knew nothing about the Silent Hill series before convincing my sister to buy me Silent Hill 4. And the rest of how Spidey got into Silent Hill is history.

I've found a few good games I really love by just taking a risk and buying something that looks interesting or has an okay concept. (see. The Bard's Tale, Rhapsody and Deadly Premonition)

EDIT: Ha ha haaaa I forgot about the weird triumvirate of awkward shy girls with no combat experience in "survival horror" games: Haunting Ground (Demento in Japan), Clock Tower 3 and Rule of Rose

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Once

Long time ago my mom took me to a mom n pop used game shop and I bought a side scrolling shooter called UN Squadron (Area 88) for the SNES. I saw it had fighter jets on it and i was like "SOLD!"

It was a fun game, though I sucked at video games at the time so I didn't beat it until 10 years later.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Tribes 2, the first computer game I ever bought myself. I saw the glorious full-sized box with the light Blood Eagle armor and jetpack on the front, and I was sold. I think I was 15, in a Costco.