Poll: Have you ever experienced guilt in a game?

Punisher A.J.

Nov 18, 2009
apelsz said:
Meemaimoh said:
Incinerating the Companion Cube. I beat the record, damn it. :(
I ended up jumping in with it. I'm not leaving my best buddy!
It would have been cool if you can throw a portal down there and fake the cube's death
Pimppeter2 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Oblivion, the dark brotherhood quest where... well, you know the one.
Oh god this one.

I was literally almost in tears. I can't even bring myself to do it again.
that was fun......er i mean I felt sooooo bad.... ok but seriously at that point I was just angry for them giving me an undroppable tiny dagger that really sucked........that quest still shocked the hell out of me though.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
Guilt? Why would I feel guilt? These fools are but toys for me to play with.

Reading this thread most of the things that cause guilt here would put a content smile on my face.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
1.Fallout 3 - So many things, Killing the naked(fallout3 naked :p) raider who's lock in cell by the other raiders in evergreen mills stands out still.
2.She was crazy and trying to kill me so Charon shot her.
3.I just get a bad feeling like why she was locked up. That part of the game has stripper poles outside, one has milk bottles around it(ewww) and the other has kids toys. Inside the bar area a dressed female raided stands behind the bar and will drop Madame's Key(Madame = female pimp). A naked female and an armed naked male raider are in a room that's all lit by a red light. The other female raider is locked in a cell naked with more kids things. I just worry she had like child's mind.
4.Yep. There's no talking to some people.

1.Dragon Age: Origins - Cheating on Alister with Zevran >_>
2.I don't really have a good reason, mostly I just wanted to see what happened. Also I was hoping to keep both of them :p He lets you go to the whore house all you want so why not Zev?
3.Alister got so sad T_T
4.No

1.Fable 2 - Sacrificing the girl's youth
2.Me or you? ME!
3.Well I was like 50 years old at the time. She was like 16.
4.Yeah she wasn't an important character.

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
Fallout 3. I kinda felt guilty all through my second playthrough (when I did Evil. I did Good first, then Evil, then Neutral.) Let's see, I blew up Megaton, gave the kid the slavers at Paradise Falls, murdered probably hundreds of people- because I could . God I was the evilest bastard who ever lived in that game. I probably wouldn't do it again.

Paget

Nov 12, 2009
Final Fanatsy 7. Even though its part of the storey and I had no control over it.
You all know what part I mean. :(

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I felt guilty when I destroyed Tennpenny Tower in Fallout 3 by letting a horde of ghouls into the basement and they killed everyone there (which I didn't care about until they killed "Dashing" the aging explorer). I thought they would come in peacefully because I persuaded everyone else to leave but they still killed everyone, so I got my flamethrower and set things right the only way I know how. now Tennpenny tower is kinda lonely and I'm pretty sure smells awful.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
Lol...playing dark side in KoTOR always made me feel guilty....I just saved some poor sap from getting mugged. He asked me how he could repay me. Apparently that set off my douche instinct, so i robbed him, and killed him...I love those games!

Streaky Haddock

May 19, 2009
Dark Brotherhood mission. In addition, I'm really, really good at suspending my disbelief; So I felt pretty horrible with the No Russian mission, too. I'm so good at suspending my disbelief that at the end of MW2 I was like: 'oh man that was awesome.' then a second later I said: 'Hang on what just happened'

Also ha, i sacrificed my own youth in fable 2. Although tbh, I was evil anyway. Evil but pure.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Yeah, killing people in Fallout 3. *sob* Impossible. Also whenever one of your unpersonal buddies in Modern Warfare 2 gets killed. Sure Infinity Ward doesn't make us emotionally attached to the characters, but I still try to save them. Especially Royce. The way he shouts "ROACH, I'M HIT" when he gets killed really makes me think "ROYCE! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

zhemis

Mar 22, 2010
Cogito said:
I felt guilty at the end of bioshock 1 where i got told off for killing a little sister, so much so i went trough and played it again so i'd get the nice ending
The whole killing of Ryan just made me feel so dirty and wrong.

derelict

Oct 25, 2009
Guilt isn't supposed to be associated with gaming in general. The idea of gaming in many of these games is to portray someone you either wouldn't or couldn't in real life. The actual cause of guilt is overassociation with the character you're playing. Keep in mind that it isn't you. Those aren't people, they're pixels, or pencil marks, or dice, or little plastic figurines.

The exception would be multiplayer games, especially things like racing games, where it's intentionally expected that YOU (or rather, your avatar) is in the driver's seat, and that can cause others some amount of grief if you're behaving like a child and causing problems for their racing.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Oblivion. When fighting in the Arena I killed the Grey Prince. I didn't want to, but once the fight starts you can't stop without killing him. I tried not to, but there was no way out of it. I felt like I was wrong for doing it, even though it was just a bunch of pixels on the screen.

Wolfiesden

Mar 18, 2010
Oblivion - Two of the Dark Brotherhood quests. Tough, real tough.

Bioshock - Harvested a little sister, I was out of ADAM. I couldn't continue after doing it. I re-loaded from a prior save (lost a bit of playtime) and saved her. I just couldn't keep playing after harvesting her.

Fallout3 - Started an evil character. After I nuked Megaton I met Moira on the hill. I was done. This was a 3rd playthrough so I knew the characters in Megaton already. I never finished the evil playthrough. I couldn't.

Fable2 - Sacrificing the girl's youth and the Ending.
Sure I did the reload trick and chose each ending to unlock the achivos on live, but I didn't like the choices. They were tough, morally. I chose Sacrifice. It hurt loosing my dog but I did get him back with the DLC so I was able to also finish the key quests. I had to think really hard at not choosing Love to finish the game. So glad that Knothole DLC allows bringing the dog back. Wives are cheap, but you only get one dog :(

Portal - The companion cube. This one bothered me a little but not nearly as much as the other games. I did try for a good half hour trying to out smart that incinerate puzzle at the end. I failed at out smarting it and eventually dropped the cube. I look forward to Portal 2 now, I do hope for a return of the companion cube.

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, and I've known what I was doing.
One example could be ganking a newbie in a game like EVE. Once I'd begun to get bored with the game, I made a "Pirate" character on my alt trader account gave him a week or so of training and set out to harass newbie miners and so on. It was fun until I'd actually make a kill often to find out they were often reasonable people wondering why in the world it would be worth my time to hunt them down like this. Even though I appeared to be another newbie to them having more credits invested in my throw away characters implants than they'd be likely to see in months, it was hard to not see their point.

My last victim was very mature, but had apparently seen too much abuse in the last few days and lost his cool temporarily, as I refused his pleas for ransom negotiation with a laugh. These angry messages (sweet rage tears) are what you pirate for, in EVE. It's impossible to feel guilty for your actions when the victim is comparing you to Hitler riding a giant space penis. This gentleman(or lady!) however, politely appoligized and then added he should be thankful that I didn't pop his escape pod while I was at it, mentioning he'd just replaced his paltry level one implants for the second time. At this point I felt like the biggest ass in space, and decided to end my career of asshattery. I forwarded him the 100m or so I'd piled onto that character, sent him a few links to read to learn to avoid people like me and then wished him well and uninstalled the game. Maybe I'll go back to see Dust 514, but only because I can shoot people in the face there with no remorse.

FretfulGnome

Jan 11, 2010
I guess the closest thing I've felt to guilt was blowing up Megaton, although I think it was more of a sense of loneliness than guilt. I remember wishing I could go back to Megaton after it was destroyed.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
Silent Hill, the worst ending ever.

Part of it being that videogames are participatory, and thus, I feel directly responsible for Harry Mason being all dead, and not finding his daughter.