Poll: Have you ever felt bad about a choice you've made in a video game?

Rahxephon5

Jan 8, 2011
Possible Spoilers Ahead for Mass Effect 3 if you've been under a rock for the last few months.

I was going through Mass Effect 3 again playing as a renegade Shepard and came across Kelly Chambers. The first time I talked with her was a pretty normal renegade choice of telling her to change her name, her look, stuff like that and being very demanding about it and how it was for her safety to protect her from Cerberus. When I came back and talked to her a 2nd time she informed me that she had essentially been spying on me for the Illusive Man. Granted she was doing her job and at the time she thought she was doing the right thing. I tore into her and asked if she didn't trust me and under no circumstance was what she did right. I walked away with her falling to her knees crying calling out my name trying to ask for forgiveness. When I returned to the Normandy I went to engineering where I had brought back Engineers Donnelly and Daniels to work and over heard their conversation about how Kelly Chambers is dead and the cause of death was suicide. It was weird, at first it was an interesting point in the story and then I just felt bad. Someone killed themselves partially because I wouldn't listen to them and forgive them for what they thought at the time was the right thing to do. I resisted the urge to go back and change my decision solely on the purpose that to do so would go against who this Commander Shepard is suppose to be; the hard ass marine who would do anything to get the job done at any cost.

So I am wondering as anybody else had that experience with a choice they made in a game. Not necessarily in the Mass Effect trilogy but any game that has a decision type setup where you hear about the repercussions later on. And what did you do?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Yup, most of my way through Spec Ops: The Line. After a while, i embraced my role as "KILL EVERYTHING THAT MOVES-GUY".

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I tend to learn toward the "good" choices, so not usually.

Although when a game requires you to make the "bad" choices in order to get the best ending I will.
You have to do this in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, and each step of the way, they make you second guess yourself.

Game: "Do you really want to proceed, if you do a thousand babies will die."
Me: "Are they baby kittens or baby humans?"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah.

I have another one from ME3.

Remember that traumatised Asari commando in the hospital? Remember how she was desperate to get her hands on a weapon? Remember how you can choose to authorise it from the spectre office? Yeah... I really should have put a bit more thought into that.

Usually I make pretty sound choices in single player games. Although that's generally easy to do.

Also, for a different kind of choice, I recently shot a guy in DayZ because he had the best backpack in the game. He never even saw me. One shot from my rifle, two from my sidearm to make sure. Then I went to claim my awesome new pack and found that I had been mistaken, the one he had was worse than my own.

I couldn't even tell myself he was probably a bandit, because I had just seen him meet with another survivor who was clearly unknown to him then go peacefully on his way. So I felt like a jerk. Didn't stop me from stealing his canned beans though.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I said no, but I changed my mind.

I never felt bad about anything I did from a moral perspective.

I did feel bad though when I was trying to be an asshole and looked dumb doing it.

Best example I can think of is right after you get on the Normandy in ME2 and the two boring people were making suggestions on where to go first and the renegade option is "shut up i'm in charge, now I say we'll do exactly what you just said because it makes the most sense, but don't tell me what to do."

It was less like being a jerk and more like being a big baby.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Yes. I let Roy Phillips into Tenpenny Tower. When I came back and found out what they'd done I was forced to murder him and his followers and then mince their corpses with a kitchen knife.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Ever regretted my decisions?

Of course I have silly, I played Witcher 2. If you never regret your decisions in that game, something's really wrong with you or your ability to immerse yourself

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Zhukov said:
Yeah.

Remember that traumatised Asari commando in the hospital? Remember how she was desperate to get her hands on a weapon? Remember how you can choose to authorise it from the spectre office? Yeah... I really should have put a bit more thought into that.

Usually I make pretty sound choices in single player games. Although that's generally easy to do.
I especially felt bad at that point because I'd just been authorizing everything in the Spectre office without a second thought before realizing there were consequences to it.

I'm going to add another example from Mass Effect 3 with MAJOR SPOILERS

When I had to shoot Mordin in the back so he couldn't cure the genophage I had to stop playing the game for an entire day because I felt so awful afterwords. It only made it worse when I had to kill Wrex later on as well.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
In Bioshock 2, I killed all the important people I can...
I got killed by my daughter at the end.

Burig

Nov 8, 2010
I've done some several times, but it really depends on the game.
Like in Skyrim, I was playing a rogue-ish merenary character who more or less did things for his own gain. I suppose a chaotic good would be the best way to describe him. Some spoilers to follow about a game side-mission:

I had to go into some house with a demon inside it, and the guy I was with got trapped by the demon in a cage and I was told to kill him. I couldn't.

There have been other times, but most of the time I prefer to go along with the actions, whatever it is, be it being seen in a stealth game, or like that in an rpg. Of course it depends on what happens. So long as it's not so important I'll reload (i.e. a companion dying), but other times I much prefer living out the actions I chose.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Alpha Protocol, at the end of Rome, as well as when I was on my Judge Jury and Executioner playthrough.

Also the end of Rannoch in ME3 if you made the wrong choices beforehand.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
In neverwinter nights theres a town thats stuck in time that nothing and nobody can leave until the foretold one (thats you, how convenient) arrives to solve a murder mystery inside a manor are you can't leave until a judgement is made. It involves 2 brothers I believe and its your job to find out who was at fault and who gets punished and the other gets rewarded. I forget most of the details but it ends up if you uncover all the clues, you find out that a demon who tricked one of the guys into murdering a bunch of villagers and children. So you have 3 choices to make to a judge appointed by a deity. The object of power must be dealt with.

Choice 1 is that the good guy was at fault and you give the evil guy that killed everyone some object of power and when all is said and done you exit the manor and time is restored and the entire town is burning and everyone is screwed and very pissed at you.

Choice 2 is that the guy who murdered everyone was at fault and he is punished for eternity and the other brother gets the object of power. Time is restored and the town is in ruins but the ghost mayor stuck around for hundreds of years just to thank you for releasing everyone.

Note, if you don't discover the demon is at fault, you only get the first two choices.

Choice 3 is the demon is at fault. And knowing this, you can still pick the first two choices and the demon goes free (since he is trapped in time too) and nobody is punished since the deity has no direct power over the demon (even if they demon is killed he'll just return to the hells). But the 3rd choice involves giving the object of power to the judge appointed by the deity to hold for all eternity. Trapping everyone (including the judge and demon) in eternal time prison, but the demon gets punished like he deserves.

I chose 3 since its what justice demanded but....... it makes you think.

MeatsOfEvil

Dec 4, 2009
The Walking Dead has a lot of really touch choices in it. It's not even good/bad either. It's often bad/bad.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
Joseph Harrison said:
Zhukov said:
Yeah.

I especially felt bad at that point because I'd just been authorizing everything in the Spectre office without a second thought before realizing there were consequences to it.

I'm going to add another example from Mass Effect 3 with MAJOR SPOILERS

When I had to shoot Mordin in the back so he couldn't cure the genophage I had to stop playing the game for an entire day because I felt so awful afterwords. It only made it worse when I had to kill Wrex later on as well.
ME3 made me feel like a terrible person because it seemed like all my choices in the previous game only created more tragedy. "Hi I'm commander Shepard I'm here to screw up your life."

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
Mass Effect has a lot of those moments for me, but my most recent comes from Fallout: NV, when you deliver Cass to the Van Graffs. I didn't know it was going to happen, and I felt really, really, bad after. She was my favourite, too.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Tenpenny Tower quest in Fallout 3
Oh god, fuck you Bethesda.
The three choices are:
-Whole Tenpenny tower murdered and you get a ghoul mask

-Tenpenny tower murdered after 3 days, you get nothing and temporary satisfaction

-3 ghouls get murdered and get Three Dog bitching at you because you saved 30+ people

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I take it we are talking RPG decision kind of decisions rather than choosing a crappy build or choosing to attack rather than defend and getting destroyed because of the mistake.

If thats the case I dont regret any of my actions as such unless it screws me out of a portion of the game or prevents me doing stuff later on or even makes the game uncompletable. So yeah I regret all the decisions in a way because I want to know what the other decision would look like but I dont regret any because making it caused me to feel remorse or anything (it dosent).

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Usually I don't, but then I played Infamous 2, and I was forced to change my answer.
I played through Evil the first time, and I felt good about it, but then
in the last mission, you have to choose between stopping the beast, or joining him. Naturally, I joined him without a second thought. In doing so, I pissed off Nix and Zeke, but I thought nothing of it. The next thing I knew, I was chasing Nix to get the RSI back, and then proceeded to kill her. I didn't mind, as she annoyed me throughout, but then you go up against Zeke. He's armed with a revolver. The fight itself plays in slight slow-motion with melancholy music in the background.
He can't take more than a couple of R1 bolts before going down, but I didn't want to kill him. I felt bad killing the only friend Cole had throughout the story. That being said, I still feel the Evil ending is right, I didn't regret it.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I was doing a renegade playthrough on ME3 so the decision regarding the genophage and the results of trying to stick to a renegade path was somewhat difficult