Poll: Have You Ever Gone Through The "Emo" Stage?

CtrlZee

Apr 6, 2009
Nadlice said:
CtrlZee said:
Nadlice said:
CtrlZee said:
I went through a phase of pretending to like System of a Down and Green Day, but that's as bad as it got.
I don't mean to overreact, but did you just imply that system is emo music? Cause them's would be fighting words!
No, I'm saying that emo poserfags like to think that SOAD is the jesus of musics, because it has "political messages". I liked them, because they were talented musicians.
Thank you for clarifying that. I just get a bit overprotective of System/Serk once and a while because it's the only popular music I actually enjoy.

P.S I really hate emo's.
That was one of the most pointless footnotes I have ever read :D

Nadlice

Jun 3, 2009
SODAssault said:
CtrlZee said:
Nadlice said:
CtrlZee said:
I went through a phase of pretending to like System of a Down and Green Day, but that's as bad as it got.
I don't mean to overreact, but did you just imply that system is emo music? Cause them's would be fighting words!
No, I'm saying that emo poserfags like to think that SOAD is the jesus of musics, because it has "political messages". I liked them, because they were talented musicians.

Edit: Although, I am quite into the "Your music sucks for x reasons" debates.
I strongly agree with this. As much as I loved SOAD, the majority of the fans I've had to deal with were phenomenal idiots.

You know, the kind that would rather run out and buy a SOAD t-shirt after listening to half of Mesmerize instead of dropping that fifteen dollars on one of their good albums.
I hate people who like system but have only heard BYOB, Toxicity, and Chop Suey... they make me want to do terrible things to them... with a straw... I'm-a stopping now.

P.S Love the avatar, Serj is the person who inspired me to wear a tophat forEVER!!!

CtrlZee

Apr 6, 2009
SODAssault said:
CtrlZee said:
Nadlice said:
CtrlZee said:

Edit: Although, I am quite into the "Your music sucks for x reasons" debates.
I strongly agree with this. As much as I loved SOAD, the majority of the fans I've had to deal with were phenomenal idiots.

You know, the kind that would rather run out and buy a SOAD t-shirt after listening to half of Mesmerize instead of dropping that fifteen dollars on one of their good albums.
BUT MEZMERIZED WAS THIER BEST CUZ THY SING ABOWT THE GOVINMINT AND STFF AND THEYZ WAS SMART AND SHIT K!?!!?

But seriously, the majority of musicians that sing about politics, or some variety of culture are just doing it so thier fanbase can wank off to how awesome the artist has turned.

For example, Pink and her "Dear Mr. President" song. That song (and I quote my friend from the course I am currently attending) "made me cry because it was so beautiful."

What I see, is some struggling punk/pop artist who wants her fans to have her opinion. It's not about politics, it's about record sales. Stop being such a fucking poser. Yes, I mean you. In front of the keyboard.

/rant end

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
A random person said:
Uh, it's not really a phase.
Please dont say its a way of life... it isnt, I dont want to hear about how "your" life sucks because "your" parents dont understand "you" or that girl "you" like never notices "you"... honestly, I have my own life to deal with and I dont want to fake sympathy for other peoples "problems"... AND NO I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!

This message was aimed at every person who considers themselves to be emo/goth/vamp/etc.

Now all I need to do is to get them all to come to this forum.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Evil Jak said:
Darkside360 said:
No, I was the person who kept telling them to cut their damn hair.
I am not an emo and dont care for the whole cutting thing but what the fuck gives you the right to tell people what to be? And more specifically what length their hair should be? Seiously, didnt you learn anything from Columbine? If someone feels rejected and alone (regardless of wether they actually are) then you DONT push them until they break because then they are going to kill people, people like you.
Also, your avatar annoyed me too.
I'm with Evil Jak. I bash emo's in the same way I bash everything, but I'm not the stereotypical baby-boomer "Get a haircut hippie" guy. In fact I bash that kind of close-mindedness even more.

And his avatar does bother me. Subtlety, use it.

CtrlZee

Apr 6, 2009
Evil Jak said:
This message was aimed at every person who considers themselves to be emo/goth/vamp/etc.
Stfu, or else I'll suck your bloooooooooooood.

Drakenian

Jul 25, 2008
Nadlice said:
CtrlZee said:
Hell yeah, man, I'm on your side!

But on topic, I suppose I am in the emo stage. Or, maybe I'm just an emotional person... I'm only 16, what the hell do you want from me?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Evil Jak said:
A random person said:
Uh, it's not really a phase.
Please dont say its a way of life... it isnt, I dont want to hear about how "your" life sucks because "your" parents dont understand "you" or that girl "you" like never notices "you"... honestly, I have my own life to deal with and I dont want to fake sympathy for other peoples "problems"... AND NO I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!

Now all I need to do is to get them all to come to this forum.
I didn't mean that it was a way of life, I just meant that it wasn't an inevitable thing all teens go through (fact: most teens are rather well adjusted, at least more than what emo implies).

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
I went through a major dreprssion when I was in middle school, and again when I was in high school.

But I have a history of depression and anxiety on both sides of my family, so for me its normal to feel like world is about to do something horrible and that people take sick twiested pleasure in my vivid mental unease.

I've never cut my self or any thing like that to get attention. I have beaten the crap out of people, simply to get over my funk. I really dont like to broadcast that I think every thing his horrible, If you ask me ill tell you striat.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
Lazzi said:
I went through a major dreprssion when I was in middle school, and again when I was in high school.

But I have a history of depression and anxiety on both sides of my family, so for me its normal to feel like world is about to do something horrible and that people take sick twiested pleasure in my vivid mental unease.
You essentially gave the same answer I was going to. I answered "no" unless genuinely suffering from depression and on the low end of the autism spectrum counts as emo, in which case I'd have to disagree.

Citizen.Erased

May 19, 2009
My Chemical Romance used to be my favorite band, that's about as emo as I ever was.
Those were very dark years.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
Meaningless, forced sadness? No. I have been through true depression and listened to truly emotionally intense music, but never anything like emo as it is understood today.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
I've been depressed, but I found a great anti-depressant called tobacco. I have never went through an emo phase though.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
If you meen normal teenage angst and insecurity? Hell yes.

If you mean the feeling like the sun won't ever shine again or that the idea of cutting yourself might actually be a good idea? Hell no.

Sure, as a teen life for some can seem hard and hardly worth living, but that kind of thing borders really close to depression and might actually be for someone. Talking helps and whatever you do, you don't wallow in self-pity. Doing that simply creates a cartwheel of unhappiness, dragging your mental state deeper and deeper into angst and suffering with every turn. And that is enough to require professional help. Some might come out of it by themselves, but in my experience they are rare persons indeed and the healing is never truly complete.

Feeling like your mother/farther are douchebags who can't understand you is normal. Not talking to them for a week isn't and if that razor begins to look appealing....

I hope persons like that retain enough self-worth to ask for help or have friends who see what is going on and push for that help.

There is enough suffering in the world. No need to add any more of it so pointlessly.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Nah. I always turned to sarcasm instead of useless whining.
Gallows humour is great, too, when you're down (and don't expect to get back up anytime soon).

Wallowing in self-pity (at least openly) is weak.