Poll: Have you ever wanted to be internet famous?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I have not interest in being insulted on a daily basis. After seeing what the internet is capable of over the past months, no, I never want to be well known enough to draw ANY attention to myself. Too many cesspools spawning thousands of piece of shit human beings.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
A large part of me says "GOD NO!"

And another large part of me says. "Do it Tent. DO IT!"

I typically go with the crazier side.

I think I can do it. I'd be able to be internet famous. I'd have to distance myself from my own communities though. The internet is a dark, nasty cesspool at times.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Chemical Alia said:
Ew, hell no. I'm fine with my work being seen and enjoyed by many people, and being well-regarded by my peers. That's cool, no problems with that. But I'm not even internet famous, and it's been years since I've been able to just be casual and be myself on the internet. No joking, no making light of things, no stating opinions unless it's super serious and explained thoroughly to cover my tracks. And at that point, I rarely have time to bother or care anymore. I've found myself posting less and less, and when I do, it's usually in non-discussion-type threads (and very rarely arguments), bland topics, or in topics/communities related to the technical side of digital art and sharing work. I do most of my talking to people individually on Steam, Twitch, Skype, etc. now.

That aside, I love what I do, and all of the friends I've made along the way.
Remember that time when Jim took one of your posts on the forums here and made a news story about it?

Yeah, I don't envy your position at all. I'd say enough stuff on the internet in about two days that would get me fired from most anywhere.
Haha, yeah. Though it was more like, when some no-name news site made a news story about it, which Jim then decided was totally newsworthy a few days later, and then I woke up to my sister texting me "what did you say on the internet now"? Perfect example right there: say something casually on a forum you feel pretty comfortable on, and next thing you know, complete strangers are freaking out, calling your workplace and demanding you lose your job, and 100 page Neogaf threads talking about your boobs and how you're a monster.

I can laugh about it, but that was pretty much the point when I knew for sure that the old days of not having to treat the internet like serious business all the time were over for me. Someone is probably always watching, and anything you say is just a google search away. Stuff like that is particularly scary, because it was something that I actually didn't really care that much about to begin with, and didn't bother to word my thoughts like a college essay with the expectation that thousands of people would read it. I'm very fond of hyperbole, exaggeration, and sarcasm, so people who don't know me can really take me too seriously sometimes.

Thank God I generally stay off Twitter, that's be a mine field for me for sure!

Duster

Jul 15, 2014
I plan on starting a venture capital firm for the video game industry 5-10 years from now, and eventually writing on it. I can eat drama for breakfast, but I don't really want fame, I want representation, so I would never be the dark, quoted twitter personality or something like that.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I'm kinda intrigued to know what it would be like...
But I know I'd not be able to escape it without leaving the 'net for a while.

Still would be cool. I don't know what for though? My sparkling charm? My witty ripost? My incredible...
Okay, I'm pretty skinless.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
When I was younger yes. Now? Fuck it. Internet fame brings nothing of value really, not real fame, happiness, or even a stable income at the least. At the most you can hope to have a sizable audience. The real trick is to not get hung up over the minority who try to fuck with for whatever reason.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Not exactly. But, if I could become part of Two Best Friend's Play or work for the Nostalgia Critic? That I would love having but alas it'll likely never happen.

Besides, being famous online isn't exactly all to fun. You will eventually want to disable the comment secrion because it gets to bad or filled with hateful people man.
I can actually see you being in one of their playthroughs

You would have a soft voice and always be polite, while the other guys are laughing at everything in the screen

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I've never wanted to be famous in any way. It's always sounded like a huge pain in the ass.

Sep 13, 2009
Lieju said:
My attitude for Internet fame is the same as towards fame outside of Internet.
Famous just for the sake of being famous? Hell no.
Well regarded for what you do within certain circles? Sure.
And on the net I could hide behind a fake name and never meet people face to face.

I guess I'd like my work to be famous rather than me?
Well you hit pretty much all the notes I wanted to, I'd rather be well known by peers than I would by fans.

Also, I'm almost positive I'd say something stupid at some point and have the internet swarm over me with rage and judgment. I like being able to make stupid comments and have strangers forget about them 5 minutes later.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Vault101 said:
Spider RedNight said:
Noooo I'm just bitter and cynical; deviantArt has some REALLY crappy fangirls, even by, like, crappy fangirl standards. Also I'm inwardly seething with jealousy that my sister's more popular than me though all she draws is cats and wolves.
I was wondering what kind of stuff she does....is it fury? its fury isn't it?

I've been wanting to actually post stuff to deviant art if/when I get good enough
Nah, it's actual animals. Granted, we're talking like ALL the Warrior Cat OCs for people's stupid groups and breed generators that people pay real money for I'M SERIOUS REAL MONEY WHAT THE EVERLOVING--

I can't IMAGINE paying someone online for a barely-coloured lion ripoff that claims it's an "original creature, do not steal"

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, but only because I feel like I can bring something new to the table. I'm a media artist who has worked on various artists, including instillation art and interactive art. After having interactive galleries using MSP/Jitter, I feel like I can discuss new topics in new ways.

But I'm still in college... senior year... with thesis animation to complete. So... no time for that right now. If I ever feel ahead of schedule I'll start recording videos. I have a backlog for my ideas on discussion topics, so I'll get cracking eventually.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I'm happy being a nameless nobody and think a desire for fame is a sign of insanity.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Sure. I mean as long as I don't get the serious death threats (I.E. ones posted to my house/personal email that are actually written out eloquently and aren't just "Lol, ur a fagget Ima kill u") I'd be willing to give it a go. As long as I have fans who actually post nice things, I could put up with people calling me shit or a shill or whatever for the most banal reasons.

Bottom line though is I'd have to be enjoying it. Moment I stop enjoying it for any real length of time, I'm out.