Poll: Have you got Super Smash Bros Wii-U?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The game is out in the US now, it's not out where I am for another week :/ so I thought I'd start a thread and see what people like about the game, and what they dislike.

I'm really looking forward to 8 players and also, is the tournament mode still in the game? Because I've got a lot out of that across each game since Melee.

So what do you like, what do you dislike and what surprised you about the game?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I didn't have a good first experience. The game I got was either extremely dirty, or something was up with my Wii U as it did not want to read the disc for a while or so.

It's working now though, and I transferred my custom fighters over. Game is fun, definitely better to control than the 3DS version, but some of the controls are still a bit too sensitive, but that just might be my controller.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Not yet, but I plan to very soon (as in, this evening or tomorrow depending on how weak my willpower is). I have the next two days off, and I plan on making the most of them with the game. I'll post back later when I've taken it for a spin.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Yes, got it last night. The online stability is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 3DS version. Very few lag spikes last night. Going to be putting a lot of time in this when not playing WoD... and by that I mean when I have friends around XD

Got 4 gamecube controllers, 2 pro controllers, a gamepad and a wii-mote... now I just need to find seven friends!

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Not yet I may get it though all depends on online. I am not really excited for the game I played Melee when that came out and had fun and I dont know if im ready for more just yet that said it may provide a nice change of pace after a P4U session (I suck at that game but am trying to improve) and I still have 3 Gamecube controllers from back in the day but may just use the WiiU pad tbh as I was never a fan of the GC controllers.

My internet connection isnt great but its the best I can get here I can see 2 player being playable even if their is lag but I dont think 8 man will be viable for me or probably even 4 player hopefully I will be proven wrong though.

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
As much as I want it, I don't have the money right now. When I do get it, I want to go all-out and get the game, Gamecube controller adapter, and an amiibo, and I don't have ~$100 in spending money.

Browsing the internet today makes me feel like the sad child standing out in the snow, looking in the window at a family having dinner together...

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
I have smash u, along with Link and Fox amiibos. Great game so far. I like smash tour quite a bit actually.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Welp, just got done playing for a few hours on my brand new console (after waiting an hour for all the firmware updates...remember when consoles were ready to play immediately?).

It's good. Damn good. But the hype train may have gotten out of hand. It's more iterative than innovative.

For those that want a more in-depth analysis, I'll break it down by game modes I've played, each with their own spoiler tag.

What can I say? It's the essense of Smash Bros. I logged about ten five-man stock rounds, starting with a one-on-one pitting Mario against a level 9 CPU Bowser (my typical first match for a new Smash game).

First off, CPU opponents are a lot harder now. I'll admit I'm more than a bit rusty and I was getting the hang of the Wii U Pro controller (more on that later). Still, I consider myself a decent pub Smash player, easily beating level 9 CPUs in previous iterations. Imagine my surprise when I lost by two stocks to Bowser of all characters.

You can't brute force your way through high level CPUs like in previous games. They're devious buggers now. They keep tabs on every move you do and counter like a mofo. While they still make a beeline for the nearest item drop, they're much more intelligent in using them. For example, if they KO you and a powerful item like a hammer drops, they'll deliberately wait for you to finish respawning before grabbing it, thus maximizing its usefulness for them. Conversely, if you KO them with a hammer they'll use the few seconds of invulnerability after respawn to hit you before running away.

Oh, and Smash balls are still horribly unbalanced. Recommend disabling them as soon as possible. Also, some of the assist trophies are too obnoxious. Who thought inverting the stage and reversing controls was a good idea?!

Basically a cross between Melee and Brawl. It's faster than Brawl's floaty gameplay, but not as crazy as Melee's "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" pro exploits. Tripping is gone (thank goodness).

The soundtrack...sweet Jebus, the soundtrack...

My jaw literally dropped when I saw how many tracks this game has. It's nothing short of mind-blowing. They've really outdone themselves in this department. Granted several are from previous titles, but I'm not complaining. Say what you will about Brawl, it had amazing music.

Hit or miss. Out of the five matches I tried, one was smooth as silk, two had slight (but not gamebreaking) delays, and one had painful degrees of lag. But hey, at least it works, which is more than can be said for Brawl's online play. Hopefully they can work the kinks out.

As an aside, I know "For Fun" isn't meant to be taken seriously, but I still wish there was an option to call votes for things like choosing between time and stock and disabling certain items (*cough*Smash Balls*cough*)

I haven't had time to try them all out, but I did take a whack at Classic, Multi-Man, Trophy Smash and Master/Crazy Orders. Classic has some good ideas, but lackluster execution. I like the randomized elements and risk/reward system for your rivals, but maneuvering around a featureless board feels soulless and lackluster. Multi-Man is pretty much unchanged, with the exception of a few regular characters thrown in with all the Miis (RIP fighting Wireframes). Trophy Smash is a short diversion, but man can you make out like a bandit. I walked away from my first round with 12-15 new trophies. I assume the effectiveness of the mode diminishes over time as you collect more trophies, thus increasing the odds of duplicates.

Master/Crazy Orders provides lots of variety and high stakes, but the random nature of the battles can result in some unfair losses and squandered bets. This is particularly irksome with Crazy Orders, where you have to survive multiple challenges without healing to get the good prizes. For example, my first Crazy Order took me to the 75 M map. A kamikaze CPU Zelda tossed a StarFox bomb right when all of us were bunched together. This caused me to fly into a stage hazard that KO'd me, thus ending my run and wasting my only Crazy ticket. My advice: stock up on Gold and tickets if you're seriously considering pursuing these things.

Use a GameCube controller. Seriously. The Wii U Pro's face buttons are rather small, which makes for some awkward moments. The sticks seem to be more fiddly as well. I had to remap some of the buttons to try and mimic the old GameCube layout as best I could. It's awesome that the game allows this, but there's a catch; it doesn't remember your profile. Every time you switch modes you have to manually select your profile or it kicks you back on the default controls. Very annoying if you're jumping between modes frequently.

I know it probably sounds like I'm tearing the game a new one. I assure you that's not my intent. Like I said at the top, it's a damn fine game and I'm glad I bought it. It's just not the second coming of Christ that some folks are gushing about. It's not going to change the minds of Melee purists, that's for sure.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
Basically a cross between Melee and Brawl. It's faster than Brawl's floaty gameplay, but not as crazy as Melee's "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" pro exploits. Tripping is gone (thank goodness).
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? As someone who has only played Brawl (I know. I'm terrible.) I wouldn't know. Would it have been better to go full charge ahead in any particular direction than go for that?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Fappy said:
Yes, got it last night. The online stability is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 3DS version. Very few lag spikes last night. Going to be putting a lot of time in this when not playing WoD... and by that I mean when I have friends around XD

Got 4 gamecube controllers, 2 pro controllers, a gamepad and a wii-mote... now I just need to find seven friends!
... How are you using gamecube controllers with a Wii U? There's no controller ports on it...

Anyway, Haven't gotten to it yet. Not exactly in a great financial position at the moment, so I haven't bought many newly released games in a while...

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
jamail77 said:
Neverhoodian said:
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? As someone who has only played Brawl (I know. I'm terrible.) I wouldn't know. Would it have been better to go full charge ahead in any particular direction than go for that?
Personally I think it is a good thing but thats really subject to opinion at the end of the day. Personally I like that balance cause I always found melee to be the most finicky of all them where the button inputs had to be just right of things wouldn't work while brawl I could time out perfectly without constantly doing the wrong attacks. I found brawl forced you to time your attacks more carefully while melee forced you to time your inputs more carefully and its a small thing but it affects how you play a lot.

I dunno I have played hundreds of thousands of hours in this series easily cause I have been playing religiously since the original. This new one I am enjoying a lot so far but my time with it is limited since I can only play my friends copy till I get my own WiiU. Personally I am amazed at how much better some of the characters play while others are so toned down. I am loving Bowser so far in this one but I HATED him in meele and brawl

jamail77

May 21, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
... How are you using gamecube controllers with a Wii U? There's no controller ports on it...
There's a special controller made just for the Wii U and I believe there is also an adapter for those who still have original GameCube controllers.

aba1 said:
So where would you rate this game among the rest of the series? What is the best and worst Smash?

Where can it go from here? I'm curious because I might be getting a Wii U on Black Friday/Cyber Monday with some money pitched in from a friend and if I were to invest in this series long term I wonder where I'd be going (Though I don't see myself investing in it).

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
Glad to hear the game is good over all :) Saturday 29th cannot arrive fast enough!

CrystalShadow said:
Fappy said:

Anyway, Haven't gotten to it yet. Not exactly in a great financial position at the moment, so I haven't bought many newly released games in a while...
]

With this handy adapter. You can buy the game with one if you want :)

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
I know it probably sounds like I'm tearing the game a new one. I assure you that's not my intent. Like I said at the top, it's a damn fine game and I'm glad I bought it. It's just not the second coming of Christ that some folks are gushing about. It's not going to change the minds of Melee purists, that's for sure.
I liked your analysis, sometimes we got to be tough to the things we like. Melee purists will never be happy with another game by the sounds of it.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
jamail77 said:
CrystalShadow said:
There's a special controller made just for the Wii U and I believe there is also an adapter for those who still have original GameCube controllers.
chozo_hybrid said:
Glad to hear the game is good over all :) Saturday 29th cannot arrive fast enough!

]

... Oh wow. XD - is that an official product? ... Anyway, that's handy, because recently I tried to play Brawl with... Well, even just a Classic controller, after having used a gamecube controller on my wii with it for ages, and I found it quite difficult...

Figures this would happen when a new Smash Bros. game showed up... XD

Katoran

Katatonic
Aug 25, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
Neverhoodian said:
I liked your analysis, sometimes we got to be tough to the things we like. Melee purists will never be happy with another game by the sounds of it.
Not entirely true. I was sort of a Melee purist. Couldn't stand brawl. Stopped playing for a long time after Brawl came out. Started playing Melee again a few years ago. And then Project M came along (a mod for Brawl); it was and is amazing. I think quite a few previously Melee purists have a similar reaction to Project M (though not all). So much better than Brawl, and in a lot of ways better than Melee. And while I haven't played Smash U yet (not out here for a couple weeks), I didn't have a good experience with the 3DS version, and I'm not really expecting much better from Smash U... But it's okay, because I have Project M and it is shiny and amazing. =D

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
Katoran said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Neverhoodian said:
Not entirely true. I was sort of a Melee purist. Couldn't stand brawl. Stopped playing for a long time after Brawl came out. Started playing Melee again a few years ago. And then Project M came along (a mod for Brawl); it was and is amazing. I think quite a few previously Melee purists have a similar reaction to Project M (though not all). So much better than Brawl, and in a lot of ways better than Melee. And while I haven't played Smash U yet (not out here for a couple weeks), I didn't have a good experience with the 3DS version, and I'm not really expecting much better from Smash U... But it's okay, because I have Project M and it is shiny and amazing. =D
Didn't know about all that, but I wasn't being all to serious, still, I'm going to look all that up :D

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
jamail77 said:
CrystalShadow said:
chozo_hybrid said:

]

... Oh wow. XD - is that an official product? ... Anyway, that's handy, because recently I tried to play Brawl with... Well, even just a Classic controller, after having used a gamecube controller on my wii with it for ages, and I found it quite difficult...

It is official! However, as far as we've been told, it will only work with the new Smash game.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
CrystalShadow said:
jamail77 said:
CrystalShadow said:
chozo_hybrid said:

]

It is official! However, as far as we've been told, it will only work with the new Smash game.
Well... It's good to see they're making use of the USB ports for something... But of a letdown that it doesn't work for anything else though.

It's not like they couldn't make it work, the same way the Wii made them interchangeable with anything that could use a classic controller...

And this time, their OS is clearly far easier to update without issue. (The Wii could update the OS too, sure, but since every game released was tied to a specific OS version, an update was in fact just installing an extra version of the OS and leaving the older one there for games that expect it to exist...)

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
DaViller said:
Same here, I'm still waiting. I just figured I could make a thread to hear things about it from people in the Escapsit community. There is one advantage though, if a game turns out to be bad, we get some warning sometimes and can avoid buying a bad game.

CrystalShadow said:
Well... It's good to see they're making use of the USB ports for something... But of a letdown that it doesn't work for anything else though.

It's not like they couldn't make it work, the same way the Wii made them interchangeable with anything that could use a classic controller...

And this time, their OS is clearly far easier to update without issue. (The Wii could update the OS too, sure, but since every game released was tied to a specific OS version, an update was in fact just installing an extra version of the OS and leaving the older one there for games that expect it to exist...)
Yeah, I agree. They have said they will only work for Smash, but they could be working on making it compatible for some things who, knows.