Poll: Having a "thumbs-up" function on the Escapist, yes or no?

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
We have had this discussion many times before, and my answer is always the same: FUCK. NO.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I'd rather not see the escapist forums become a popularity contest thank you very much.

Maybe not a thumbs up button but an 'I agree' button to show you feel the same way. It would kinda work similarly but it wouldn't feel like we were scoring each other and would save people from making posts just saying
blah blah blah
this ^

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
Ehhh.... I don't think so. I've seen some forums where it works okay and I don't think it'd be as bad as everyone seems to be making it out to be, but it could hinder discussion and I don't really think it's necessary.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
No, I think the thumbs up system discourages meaningful discussion of opposing opinions, plus then we would also have the temptation to just say things in order to get thumbs up. Not to mention how open to abuse such a system would be.

Besides being quoted by someone who likes your comment is a much more meaningful ego boost than an impersonal thumbs up. Incidentally if you liked what I've had to say feel free to quote me :p

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think you get more meaningful feedback by quoting somebody and elaborating, as opposed to simply liking or disliking.