Poll: 'Heavier' music,can it last?

D3athBat

Mar 1, 2009
I was listening to some of the 'classic rock' bands in my Windows Media Player earlier,such as Guns N' Roses,Queen,Led Zeppelin,Jimi Hendrix etc,and was thinking of how they are timeless classics,stuff that everybody loves or atleast knows...

I then put on some newer,heavier,stuff such as Avenged Sevenfold,Machine Head,All that Remains,Children Of Bodom,Trivium,Architects,Between The Buried and Me,and of bunch of stuff that has lyrics that are quite frankly,impossible to understand unless youre a fan of that kind of music,where you seem to just get used to it and it becomes audible...

And I love both types of music,aswell as many other genres,but it made me think of all the hate that 'heavier' music gets,people saying that its 'just noise' and that there is 'no point if you cant understand the words',and im wondering if this kind of music will stand the test of time in a world of pop culture adoring retards and go on to become renowned classics such as those by The Who,Pink floyd,and Eric Clapton?

Here is one person who hopes it can :)

Discuss.

And dont just bash my/eachothers music tastes...I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion,but lets keep it clean eh?...Unless its about Pop music ;)

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
D3athBat said:
All that Remains
Awesome. All kinds of awesome dude. Anyways, yeah I think the heavier stuff will last. Every generation has their own kind of music that lasts with them. For example, there are still people that like classic rock and jazz, even though those were older genres. Music never really dies.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Nope.

I've yet to hear a song or band that has that instant "timeless" quality to it made within the 'heavier' genres.

Maybe it will happen, I don't know. All I know is that a lot of the 'heavier' music isn't played on the radio. And therefore, it won't be remembered. Few songs can be well-remembered if they're not radio-worthy.

And besides, they'll never touch the glory of Flock of Seagulls or AC/DC. Just never.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
The people you named don't hold a flame to The Who, Pink Floyd, or Eric Clapton. Sorry, but that's my personal opinion. Your bands may pretend that they're all tough and scary....but Eric Clapton threw his own baby out a window to write an epic song. Can any of your bands say the same? No.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I would say yes, heavy or progressive or whatever metal music is something different and is also very popular.

However I don't think pop bands of today will not be remembered that well since they are nothing compared to The Beatles, Supertramp and ABBA. Pink and others like her haven't really done anything special or new and so not many people will refer to these singers as the greatest musicians.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
The people you named don't hold a flame to The Who, Pink Floyd, or Eric Clapton. Sorry, but that's my personal opinion. Your bands may pretend that they're all tough and scary....but Eric Clapton threw his own baby out a window to write an epic song. Can any of your bands say the same? No.
I assume that you're referring to the tragic accident that claimed the life of Clapton's son?

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
nilcypher said:
Cliff_m85 said:
I assume that you're referring to the tragic accident that claimed the life of Clapton's son?
Sure, believe the 'official' story. Fact: Babies don't throw themselves out of windows.

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Nope.

I've yet to hear a song or band that has that instant "timeless" quality to it made within the 'heavier' genres.
Find yourself some parkway drive then, pretty much every song has a timeless quality to it, specifically carrion, horizons and killing with a smile.

D3athBat said:
I was listening to some of the 'classic rock' bands in my Windows Media Player earlier,such as Guns N' Roses,Queen,Led Zeppelin,Jimi Hendrix etc,and was thinking of how they are timeless classics,stuff that everybody loves or atleast knows...

I then put on some newer,heavier,stuff such as Avenged Sevenfold,Machine Head,All that Remains,Children Of Bodom,Trivium,Architects,Between The Buried and Me,and of bunch of stuff that has lyrics that are quite frankly,impossible to understand unless youre a fan of that kind of music,where you seem to just get used to it and it becomes audible...

And I love both types of music,aswell as many other genres,but it made me think of all the hate that 'heavier' music gets,people saying that its 'just noise' and that there is 'no point if you cant understand the words',and im wondering if this kind of music will stand the test of time in a world of pop culture adoring retards and go on to become renowned classics such as those by The Who,Pink floyd,and Eric Clapton?

Here is one person who hopes it can :)

Discuss.

And dont just bash my/eachothers music tastes...I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion,but lets keep it clean eh?...Unless its about Pop music ;)
I think most of the bands you mentioned will be remembered in the same way some bands are nowadays, it's more likely to be the metalcore bands that become tomorrow's pink floyd though.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
xitel said:
D3athBat said:
All that Remains
Awesome. All kinds of awesome dude. Anyways, yeah I think the heavier stuff will last. Every generation has their own kind of music that lasts with them. For example, there are still people that like classic rock and jazz, even though those were older genres. Music never really dies.
It only gets forgotten.

Personally, I think that The Who, Pink Floyd and the likes will be forgotten about in another 20 years or so. Not to say they aren't great, very little music is remembered by everyone and those are classical.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
nilcypher said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Sure, believe the 'official' story. Fact: Babies don't throw themselves out of windows.
True, but four year olds sometimes fall.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
ward. said:
Find yourself some parkway drive then, pretty much every song has a timeless quality to it, specifically carrion, horizons and killing with a smile.
... What?

Are those supposed to be songs? Because song titles tend to be considered proper nouns. For all I know, you're saying that dead creatures and murder are timelessly beautiful.

D3athBat

Mar 1, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Nope.

Maybe it will happen, I don't know. All I know is that a lot of the 'heavier' music isn't played on the radio. And therefore, it won't be remembered. Few songs can be well-remembered if they're not radio-worthy.

And besides, they'll never touch the glory of Flock of Seagulls or AC/DC. Just never.
I wouldnt say that theyre not radio worthy,if they WERE played on the radio i would listen to it and to the radio a lot more often and im sure a lot of the general public would think the same...but the radio is unfortunately plagued with whatever is in 'the charts'...but these charts dont even take 'heavier' music into consideration no matter how much it sells.

and,

Cliff_m85 said:
You have a valid point,but i DID name all three of those bands at the beginnig as I hold a candle to them too :)
As for pretending that they are tough and scary,well,i wouldnt go that far,its just a generally angrier music form,which comes with its own styles etc...i wouldnt say that they are 'pretending' anything,you know?
And to say that Clapton 'threw his baby out a window to write an epic song' is pretty...well,disgusting dude,its an epic song yes,but if you hold Clapton is such high regards you'd know that it was an accident and a very traumatic thing for him.Who the fuck would WANT to be able to say that they killed their son?

and finally...

Nazulu said:
I would say yes, heavy or progressive or whatever metal music is something different and is also very popular.

However I don't think pop bands of today will not be remembered that well since they are nothing compared to The Beatles, Supertramp and ABBA. Pink and others like her haven't really done anything special or new and so not many people will refer to these singers as the greatest musicians.
I agree,Pop music back in the days of ABBA and The Beatles was genuine talent and skill,instead of todays 'Pop stars',who usually get their music written for them and have to lip-synch onstage...THAT,is an epic fail

ChickDangerous

Feb 8, 2009
I think bands like Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy and Amon Amarth will stand the test of time, mainly because not only is their music awesome but despite having traditional "metal" vocals they are still able to be easily understood by people who don't love the genre. Arch Enemy probably gets extra points for having Angela Gossow as the singer - people learn it's a she singing not a he and go woah!

Siuss

Nov 3, 2008
The only reason 99% of people know about "Classical" music is because of primary school musical classes...

I think I made my point.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
D3athBat said:
Flying-Emu said:
Nope.

I wouldnt say that theyre not radio worthy,if they WERE played on the radio i would listen to it and to the radio a lot more often and im sure a lot of the general public would think the same...but the radio is unfortunately plagued with whatever is in 'the charts'...but these charts dont even take 'heavier' music into consideration no matter how much it sells.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean "not radioworthy" in the sense that it's bad music (although I do not enjoy it very much). I meant that a lot of 'heavier' music isn't played on the radio simply for the fact that it's too heavy.
*EDIT*
Cliff_m85 said:
And sometimes they get punted out a window to give a song writer inspiration. It's not like Eric couldn't have another kid. I mean, making kids are easy....but epic songs? Those come around rarely. So I'm not looking down at him at all for brutally punting his kid out the window. I mean, if Led Zeppelin had to burn down a small school filled with children to come up with "Led Zeppelin 4" (which they did, by the way), wouldn't it be worth it?
Dude, no. That's not even funny. You're seriously asking for a smack from the banhammer.

That was a horrific, traumatic thing that happened to that poor man. And you have the gall to make light of it? I sincerely hope that whatever Divine being you worship (or don't) has mercy on you.

D3athBat

Mar 1, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
D3athBat said:
Flying-Emu said:
Nope.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean "not radioworthy" in the sense that it's bad music (although I do not enjoy it very much). I meant that a lot of 'heavier' music isn't played on the radio simply for the fact that it's too heavy.
Ah,well thanks for clearing that up :) and i accept that you dont particularly like it,many people dont,and you make a point about it being too heavy for the radio stations,but maybe the radio needs to broaden its horizons?or dedicate time for that music or whatever...

Siuss

Nov 3, 2008
Okay, I think that proof of Avenged Sevenfold not lasting the test of time is proven by the fact that I only know three other people who have even heard of "Sounding The Seventh Trumpet"

Makes me sad, but damn if it isn't true.

superbleeder12

agamersperspective.com
Oct 13, 2007
I don't really give two shits about what's popular. I enjoy the music that I listen to. I don't listen to what's popular or classic. those -core bands are a fad in my opinion. Yes they're okay (sturgeon's law applies) but many won't stand the test of time.

I will rue the day when a band says they got their influence from bands like cradle of filth. Oh dear christ will I rue the day.