Poll: Help!! Fallout New Vegas dilemma !

lysiaboy

Feb 17, 2010
Hello everyone, I'm in a spot of bother with fallout new vegas.

I am about to start a third playthrough of this excellent game, and I have no idea what type of character to make, what faction to side with, good or bad, guns or melee, energy or explosive, etc. or even if i'm going to be relativity peaceful this time round.

just to fill you in, first playthrough quick talking gunslinger with MR house.

second playthrough dumb explosives guy.

any suggestions or comments? any particular setups which worked very well for you?

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Speech is hands down the most useful across the game. Let's you get bonus rewards or talk your way into/out of things etc.

ArtemusClydeFrog

Feb 1, 2011
Tallim said:
Speech is hands down the most useful across the game. Let's you get bonus rewards or talk your way into/out of things etc.
I agree with this, speech tends to be a great trump card no matter what kind of character you choose to play as.
I'm really a repair guy myself. I almost always keep my entire inventory in mint condition. And the "Jury Rigger" perk from NV is definitely my favourite perk in the game.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
The NCR is good to side with. As for skills Speech is the best skill in the game I tag speech, Guns and lockpick. Repairs is also helpful because at 90 repair you can pick a perk (jury rigging) that makes repairing rare items easier. Special wise I would say
S 6
P 6
E 5
C 6
I 10
A 6
L 1
Is good to use.

You could also try a run through of the game where you don't kill anyone. I have done it it is very fun.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Tallim said:
This. It's one of the main reasons I love the series. I can usually talk my way out of anything with a high enough Speech.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
Is energy weapons not on there? Ammo is hard to find at the start of the game, but in later game it becomes plentiful, plus there are some amazing perks for energy weapons (for example, all critical hits cause small nuclear explosions, meaning stealth attacks are super super effective).
You are also able to efficiently use the gauss rifle, which, used in conjunction with a variety of energy weapon and crit boosting perks and equipment, took off 3/4 of the final bosses (the legion sword guy) health in one shot, then allowing him to run onto a pile of mines to finish the job. It also one shots Deathclaws from stealth.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
I usally put my skils in speech lockpicking and sceince with prety much avreagr stats in everything else but my charecters lowest stat tends to be survial. One thing I found out recently is that if your luck is eight you'll almost never lose at the casions alowing you to get the courrier whio broke the bank achcviment real easy if your in to that.(as well as make quiet a bit of cash to get the games most expenisve stuff)

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
Ryan Kerr said:
The NCR is good to side with. As for skills Speech is the best skill in the game I tag speech, Guns and lockpick. Repairs is also helpful because at 90 repair you can pick a perk (jury rigging) that makes repairing rare items easier. Special wise I would say
S 6
P 6
E 5
C 6
I 10
A 6
L 1
Is good to use.
I would never have luck on one, or in fact NEVER less than 6. Since critical hits weren't in Oblivion, everybody ignored luck, and seems to do the same for fallout. Each point of luck is an extra critical chance, meaning with high luck, the easy to obtain 1st Recon beret and a few books and perks you could have up to 20% crit chance, 1 in 5 shots doing between 2x and 3x damage (depending on the weapon and where you are aiming).
This coupled with perks like meltdown and better criticals gets you out of a sticky situation just as often, if not more than speech.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
try this because im goin try it next time

9 Charism
5 Strength
4 Luck
5 Perception
3 Endurance
8 Intelligence

and don't use ANY combat ones like guns or Energy weapons be the Pacifist and leg it from battles. have Boone/Arcade and Rex as a companion and go independent. try and be Nice with everyone

once u get Ed-E and Boone from Novac and Primm your set to go and if u do get into trouble just pull a random weapon out and use it

Mar 30, 2010
Go for a total Techie egg-head - max Int, Science, Medicine and Repair skills, with the Four Eyes and Small Frame traits. Make Energy Weapons your weapon skill of choice as well. Then download the Old World Blues DLC. For SCIENCE!!!

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
You have to make a snarky nerd who's good at running away. The game becomes so much more fun when you solve all your problem by running away really fast.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Guns. I'm a sniper fella and I prefer the feel of a good ol' rifle to them energy blaster whachamahavits.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Unarmed. It does a ton of damage once you get any kind of Spiked Knuckles. I had to where I was getting 40 damage in a single punch.

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
Play as a post apocalypse Jason Voorhees. Use nothing but a machete and always wear a hockey mask. You can still do quests as your looking for revenge, although you must complete them in the least peaceful way possible. Tag melee, repair and survival. Take all melee related perks and enjoy!

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Speech,it can be very helpful and can get you out of akward situouns(dunno how to spell it correctly)

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
my starting priority

-speech
-lockpick
-repair
-guns
-energy weapons

my least useful ones
-barter
-unarmed
-science (past 25)

surg3n

May 16, 2011
There are a lot of scoped weapons, so I would go for guns and speech, and be a smooth talking sniper.