Poll: Henry Cavill is Geralt

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
MrCalavera said:
008Zulu said:
I am looking forward to see him haggling over the cost a book to learn about a monster, or wandering aimlessly for an hour looking for that last herb so he can make his potion.
"Hey buddy, how about a game of Gwent?"
"Hmmm, talking to myself about what I see... in incomplete sentences."

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
CyanCat47 said:
vallorn said:
CyanCat47 said:
SupahEwok said:
Are we gonna complain about a popular Western actor taking a minority's role?

No?

Poles are their own ethnic group.
Yes West-Russians are an ethnic group, but they never seemed to mind being represented by foreigners in the past
Just because Slavs aren't bothered by it doesn't mean it's not an issue. We're busy being offended on the behalf of the slavic peoples.
Last time british people did that, WW1 broke out
"War declared over Netlix TV series" would be an interesting headline and right up there with "The Football War" and "The War Of The Bucket"

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
MrCalavera said:
008Zulu said:
I am looking forward to see him haggling over the cost a book to learn about a monster, or wandering aimlessly for an hour looking for that last herb so he can make his potion.
"Hey buddy, how about a game of Gwent?"
Suddenly the show becomes a Gambling Anime.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
ObsidianJones said:
Honestly, I'd rather a good no name.
The last time a video game based movie hired a bunch of no names.....it did not end well:

There is a reason why the Orcs were the better part of the movie because holy shit what an injustice the Human charcaters and Alliance players at large.
I still think that entire movie should have been animated, just make it a 2 hour long Blizzard cinematic.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zeraki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
ObsidianJones said:
Honestly, I'd rather a good no name.
The last time a video game based movie hired a bunch of no names.....it did not end well:

There is a reason why the Orcs were the better part of the movie because holy shit what an injustice the Human charcaters and Alliance players at large.
I still think that entire movie should have been animated, just make it a 2 hour long Blizzard cinematic.
And Blizzard has proven they are capable:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
As if it wasn't controversial enough, Ciri is gonna be casted with a non-white actor:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2018/09/07/the-witcher-netflix-series-ciri-white-changes

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
As if it wasn't controversial enough, Ciri is gonna be casted with a non-white actor:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2018/09/07/the-witcher-netflix-series-ciri-white-changes
Presumably a major requirement of the actress is that she doesn't mind erratic capitalisation.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

As long as the writers don't go off the reservation and decide that she's Geralt's one true love or something. A friend of mine brought this up in conversation when discussing Geralt's other shagging options. They were of the opinion that anyone that rolled Geralt/Ciri needed Jesus.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:

A few minutes doesn't equate to 2 hours. It wouldn't even equate to 90 minutes.

I mean, it would be neat, but the budget would be astronomical.

Samtemdo8 said:

I was wondering if/when this was going to be brought up.

TBH, while I know very little of the Witcher, I can certainly see the points of why Ciri should be white in this case. But what saddens me most of all is that if a BAME actress is chosen, she's going to be the one people take it out on. Kinda like the Starfire actress for Titans, only given how fanatical the Witcher fanbase seems to be, much worse.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:

A few minutes doesn't equate to 2 hours. It wouldn't even equate to 90 minutes.

I mean, it would be neat, but the budget would be astronomical.

Samtemdo8 said:

I was wondering if/when this was going to be brought up.

TBH, while I know very little of the Witcher, I can certainly see the points of why Ciri should be white in this case. But what saddens me most of all is that if a BAME actress is chosen, she's going to be the one people take it out on. Kinda like the Starfire actress for Titans, only given how fanatical the Witcher fanbase seems to be, much worse.
Honestly why can't these people just have Ciri be casted with a white actress?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Calling it now, any criticism directed at the show will be met with racism accusations. That?s the only reason they?re making this change. This poor girl is gonna be a lightning rod for abuse because the staff have no faith in their work.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The only thing I can usually see Cavill pulling off is standing around posing as a male model. But who knows, maybe one day he'll play a part where he has to pull an expression, and I'll reconsider that assessment.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
RaikuFA said:
Calling it now, any criticism directed at the show will be met with racism accusations. That?s the only reason they?re making this change. This poor girl is gonna be a lightning rod for abuse because the staff have no faith in their work.
That will be the excuse if the show flops big time. It's the "new all female" Ghostbusters all over again - also happened with other movies, games and the like, of course.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Agema said:
The only thing I can usually see Cavill pulling off is standing around posing as a male model. But who knows, maybe one day he'll play a part where he has to pull an expression, and I'll reconsider that assessment.
Luckily he won't have to do anything that challenging as Geralt.

Honestly I think this is the ideal role for him. He doesn't even need to act any different than he did as Superman (and this time, the woodenness and lack of range will make sense).

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
008Zulu said:
Personally, I hope they have loads of sex scenes, but instead of having sex with him all the women just give him cards with erotic drawings on them and he goes and jacks off in a corner.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Same reason they didn't cast a Slavic guy as Geralt. But I guess skin tone is what matters.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
RaikuFA said:
...so they know the fan base is going to be racist?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
altnameJag said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Same reason they didn't cast a Slavic guy as Geralt. But I guess skin tone is what matters.
In the latter case, name a Slavic actor that speaks English and can act good?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
altnameJag said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Apparently, Ciri's skin tone does matter in the Witcher mythos, in that it's a sign of her ancestry (something about elves), said ancestors being pale skinned. So, if Ciri's skin is changed, either her forebears have to be changed, or her backstory has to be changed.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
evilthecat said:
Personally, I hope they have loads of sex scenes, but instead of having sex with him all the women just give him cards with erotic drawings on them and he goes and jacks off in a corner.
Is he facing the wall or into the room? I'm not really sure of the etiquette.