Poll: HE'S GOT A GUN!!!

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I'd let him shoot me, then catch the bullet with my teeth and put HIS bullet into MY gun killing HIM with HIS own bullet.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I'd shield my loved one, and then attempt to disarm him once he turned away. I'm not charging someone with a gun pointed at me when I can just wait for them to turn around.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Wheres the option for use the closest person as a human shield? Because that would be my choice, as long as the closest person wasn't family or a good friend. And even then i wouldn't mind using some of my family as a shield

Hikikomori Ookami

Jun 26, 2009
Assess the situation. What kind of gun? How is he holding it? Does he look panicky? Is he looking around or focusing on me? Do I know him/her? Is she my ex-girlfriend? Did I sleep with his ex?

Different answers would have different responses. Odds are though if someone was there with me my first instinct is their protection. Second would be finding a way to disarm and subdue the attacker.

Call me a freak but I've considered various scenarios like this since I was five or six and even though fighting back against a gunman is frowned upon it's always seemed like one of those things that someone has to do so why not me?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
EisBaron said:
deadman91 said:
I'd probably jump at him, or stand in front of a loved one as a shield, whichever's safer at the time.
Yeah, cause jumping at him is the safest thing I can think of.....
Making your self a human shield or using some one else as a human shield isn't has effective has you would think. Tests on Mythbusters confirms that a Bullet can pierce through Fat and Muscle very easily your best bet would be if he's just carrying light ammunition so and hits a bone, larger ammo or ammo used in a M16 or AK-47 would just tear you and the shield to shreds.

Samuel Cook

and Greg Puciato.
Jan 2, 2009
I chose shield loved one, as everytime i get surprised, such as braking suddenly while driving, I always try and protect the person/dog next to me, and I always care about my friends' well-being more than my own.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Lotta damn heroes here. Lotta dead men too.
I duck and cover, I'm a realist.
Also there seems too be a disturbingly large amount of escapist who apparently carry guns.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
hoopyfrood said:
Seanchaidh said:
It's ironic that you're talking about defense mechanisms while pointlessly insulting a person whose mental and physical toughness you have absolutely no idea about.
If you had the skill to disarm an armed attacker you would not be arguing that such a thing can't be done. Obviously.

It's also ironic that you talk about 'straw men' while blithely ignoring what I've said to try to fit it into your little argumentative caricature.
And what exactly have I ignored?
Oh, just the fact that I haven't for an instant argued "that such a thing can't be done." I've argued that it all depends on the someone though, and not as much you. This makes it a bad idea to do if your option is to just wait to see what the hell he wants. That doesn't necessarily mean compliance (though it can, if it's something incidental.) That doesn't mean cowering. That doesn't mean getting raped (apparently in the middle of a busy supermarket???) It can mean talking and deescalation. It can mean other things too. But forcing someone into the position of shooting you or losing control of the situation is not the kind of rational choice of which you want to be on the losing side.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
If I want to impress internet-goers that I'll never meet in real life:

I'd probably use my Muay Thai skills to disarm him, and then say something all badass-like, along the lines of, "Sorry, sir. This yours?" in a deep, gravely voice.

Truthfully?

I'd drop to the floor and do what he said. I'm not a fighter, I'm a gamer.