Poll: high school sweetheart

Wolveria

Jul 7, 2009
I didn't meet my "sweetheart" until after high school so... no. My high school relationships were few and short.

I'd say for the most part, high school is a very bad, if not the worst, place to look for a soul mate. You're young, you don't know what you want yet (even if you think you do), and most likely you'll do and say stupid things that make you cringe a few years later. You're still growing... and need time to fully mature before you know what you want from yourself, let alone a mate. Besides, with school and homework, friends and family, you have more important things to focus on.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
OhJayEee said:
Hollywood tells us that every person, at one time or another, fell in love with the perfect mate in high school. I never bought into that myth, and coming out of a bad relationship my Sophomore year, it seemed less true then ever. So no one was more surprised then I was when I just recently found my high school sweetheart. And while I'm hesitant to use the word "Love", it seems to be the best word to describe my feelings for her. So I wonder "How many of my fellow escapists have shared this experience?" Did Hollywood get it right? Or am merely I among a lucky few?
What's your story?
There was a girl I liked all through high school. I never did anything about it though, because when I was in high school I was basically a chump - really shy and awkward, wouldn't say boo to a mouse, etc. I met her once a couple of years after high school, and I chumped out then too, didn't ask her shit, didn't even get her number. Haven't see her since, no doubt she's married with ten kids by now. That's one of the reasons why I started the Relationship Problem Thread - cos I know what it's like to be a clueless teen, and I sure as hell wished someone had helped me back then.

I know a girl who met her high school sweetheart by chance after over 10 years of being with other guys (including me ahem) and now they're happily married. So rest assured it can happen.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
had a coupple of boys during my schoolyears (works quite different here, here we have "primary school" from year 1-9 and then "secondary school" for another 3 years), and met my current boyfriend while i was still in school (he was not in my school though). we're together for five years now and live together in one place for 3.

as for D&D: <== designated cleric / ranger when we still played the d20-system^^

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Went head over heels over two girls during my time in high school, didn't get anywhere though. If i want to be cliche, i would call it unrequented love.

Since then i keep my passions for the opposite sex firmly in check with a huge mental hammer , which slams down upon me at the first sign of me getting interested in someone who is either out of my league or just not compatabale. So, going through high school i suppose taught me how to control my passions.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
None.

The good docter always get the short end of the stick. But I need no women I have my hand!

[http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/Darling_056/?action=view&current=tumblr_kvfpk3DKz71qzy05fo1_500.jpg]

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Nickolai77 said:
Went head over heels over two girls during my time in high school, didn't get anywhere though. If i want to be cliche, i would call it unrequented love.

Since then i keep my passions for the opposite sex firmly in check with a huge mental hammer , which slams down upon me at the first sign of me getting interested in someone who is either out of my league or just not compatabale. So, going through high school i suppose taught me how to control my passions.
i don't think that that's a very good way to handle that sort of thing...if you really like a girl you should not concern yourself wether or not she is "out of your league". you just shout try it no matter what you think. that's my oppinion at least, and i like to think i know what i'm talking about because i tricked the best boy on the whole planet into being with me even though he could have had so much better girls^^

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sort-of, I was extremely good friends with a girl, only during 2 years because after that she moved to another one. We covered each others back, if either of us would be bullied we would protect each other, we even had common interests. I never had the guts to ask her out, even though I wanted to, and only after I lost her I realised what I felt for her and what she meant to me during those years. But she changed anyway, a lot, it wouldn've lasted.

Sure, looking back at it was a typical teenage crush, but still. I learned some useful lessons, lessons that come in handy right now.. No more hiding out, that gets you nowhere, just be honest about your feelings.
orangebandguy said:
I'm very shallow sometimes, but then again everyone is. I think at high school, or secondary school as it's called across the sea, no one really has a poetic soul longing for a soul mate.
I did, after that girl disappeared and I realised what she meant to me. I still had 2 more high school years to look forward to at that point. 2 Very very very lonely high school years.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Kathinka said:
Nickolai77 said:

i don't think that that's a very good way to handle that sort of thing...if you really like a girl you should not concern yourself wether or not she is "out of your league". you just shout try it no matter what you think. that's my oppinion at least, and i like to think i know what i'm talking about because i tricked the best boy on the whole planet into being with me even though he could have had so much better girls^^
What's that implying about yourself lol? If you can do what you have done then i think you can afford to be more self confident.

I see where your coming from, but one thing i've now noticed is that most of the girls who i would consider "out of my league" are also girls who i don't share interests with. And if i don't share anything in common with them, then i never get close enough to them to gain an interest in them. So the, "out of my league" issue no longer seems to be a problem now.

AlexTheBucket2112

Mar 26, 2009
OhJayEee said:
Hollywood tells us that every person, at one time or another, fell in love with the perfect mate in high school. I never bought into that myth, and coming out of a bad relationship my Sophomore year, it seemed less true then ever. So no one was more surprised then I was when I just recently found my high school sweetheart. And while I'm hesitant to use the word "Love", it seems to be the best word to describe my feelings for her. So I wonder "How many of my fellow escapists have shared this experience?" Did Hollywood get it right? Or am merely I among a lucky few?
What's your story?
>implying that anyone here has a girlfriend

Oh wait...this isn't /v/...

nevermind then. OT: no I do not.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
I went to an all-girls' highschool, so having a 'sweetheart' there would have entailed making some fairly major, life-altering decisions on my part! hehe!!

I did have a boyfriend towards the end of HS/Sixth Form, but it didn't end very well... turned out he wasn't as nice as I thought he was. Ah well... hindsight's always 20/20, isn't it?

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Nickolai77 said:
Kathinka said:
Nickolai77 said:

What's that implying about yourself lol? If you can do what you have done then i think you can afford to be more self confident.

I see where your coming from, but one thing i've now noticed is that most of the girls who i would consider "out of my league" are also girls who i don't share interests with. And if i don't share anything in common with them, then i never get close enough to them to gain an interest in them. So the, "out of my league" issue no longer seems to be a problem now.
so it's not really an issue of not attemting, but more that you did not yet find one that you would consider fitting. did i get that right or have i misunderstood?^^

IckleMissMayhem said:
I went to an all-girls' highschool, so having a 'sweetheart' there would have entailed making some fairly major, life-altering decisions on my part! hehe!!

I did have a boyfriend towards the end of HS/Sixth Form, but it didn't end very well... turned out he wasn't as nice as I thought he was. Ah well... hindsight's always 20/20, isn't it?
you have all-girls-schools in the uk? o_O
aren't they the most boring places on earth?^^

Aunel

May 9, 2008
D4zZ said:
Don't want to talk about it, I'll answer your poll and flee. :)
[small]*flee!*[/small]
exactly,

(All I'm letting on is that I'm writing a song for her)

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Unfortunately I never had one, fine with that. All of the girls at my highschool were egotistical, stupid and shallow, always going for the jocks, oh well.

Bucket0Bones

Feb 19, 2009
Furburt said:
I never had one.

All the girls in my school said 'like' with such frequency that it made me hate them with a passion.

And they were all egotistical, whether that was just them or more about them being teenagers I don't know.

I have had a couple of girlfriends, but I'm too cynical to keep a relationship going.
This sums me up pretty accurately

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
I had a boyfriend in highschool, two infact. One used me, forced me into things i didn't want to do and i let him sadly (thankgod we never slept together). And the second was a lad i was only seeing for a day. He asked me out, but after a few hours decided he still loved his ex too much and so we split up. Good thing we are still friends.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Kathinka said:
Nickolai77 said:
Kathinka said:
Nickolai77 said:

so it's not really an issue of not attemting, but more that you did not yet find one that you would consider fitting. did i get that right or have i misunderstood?^^

IckleMissMayhem said:

you have all-girls-schools in the uk? o_O
aren't they the most boring places on earth?^^
1) Nowaday's, its an issue of finding some fitting. In high school i had fallen for girls who were out of my league, and that had not ended well. Now, its less of a problem fortunatly for reasons already stated. But who knows, in the future i may fall for an overely attractive woman who's out of my league, but who also happens to share my interests. Would i go for her? I dunno, maybe. I will defo be considering my high-school experiences and what you have said before making that desicion.

Sorry if i'm just confusing you now, i havn't expressed myself very well. I think your English is probably better than mine.

2)I know this question isn't directed at me but i'll answer it anyway, because i'm feeling cheeky. In the UK there are grammer schools who admit students if they pass an exam called the 11+. These schools gender discriminate- the school being in two halves, one for boys and one for girls. (personally i think this is just silly) This however does not stop people getting into relationships outside of school. In some ways, its actually easier to get into a relationship outside of school, for a boy, because you tend not to get stuck in the friend zone. I never went to a grammer school, i went to a mixed gender comprihensive school.