Poll: Homeopathy

FluffyWelshCake

Jul 9, 2011
So, what are your opinions on Homeopathy, alternative medicines and natural remedies? I'm just going to write more crap here now, personally I believe in the fact that alternative medicine is either medicine that has been proved not to work or not properly tested. So, please, go play with this topic.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It's the placebo effect. People want to feel better, so they trick themselves into feeling that they are better.

Homeopathy makes no chemical sense. If you know anything about chemistry, then you'd know that homeopathy is literally impossible. The "less" there is of something, the "stronger" the effect? Nothing else works that way at all! Less poison doesn't kill people faster. Less detergent doesn't get plates cleaner.

Now, homeopaths claim that they don't need active ingredients, because the water forms a "memory" of the diluted material and enhances the effect. Again, to anyone who even stayed awake through PRIMARY school science classes, this is NONSENSE. What is forming the memory? How is the "memory" stored in the water? Not one of them has proved that water can form a memory (at least not to any respectable standard of proof).

The only people who could believe in Homeopathy are those who know nothing about science. To anyone who believes in Homeopathy: Pick up a chemistry textbook and read it. Go to the public library, get a textbook on Chemistry and read the first 3 chapters.

Chemistry and Homeopathy are incompatible. One has given us all the modern chemicals and plastics and reagents and has helped create the technology around you today. The other has nonsense combined with vague sciency-sounding words and bottles of mostly (if not entirely) water masquerading as medicine.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Homeopathy is bullshit.

"Alternative" medicine...well, that's just medicine not proven to work. Maybe it will be proven in the future, but as yet there is no evidence.

Now, sometimes science really drops the balls on certain things, but generally I'd go with what's been "proven", there are reasonable standards for that sort of thing.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Has homeopathic medicine ever passed a double-blind trial?

Someone must have put it to the test at some point.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Pretty sure alternative medicine doesn't work. Like others said, it's that placebo effect thing going on.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
This is an odd question, because the thing about the placebo effect...it DOES work sometimes.

But even then, only sometimes. If the condition is serious, it never works, and it's pretty unethical.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
I'm voting YOU, because I don't know what that means.

It best represents my feelings towards homeopathy. All I know is what people who understand the science tell me, my only option is to nod and follow blindly; or do the occasional read-up on it, and encounter even more contradictory and confusing points.

YOU. YOU indeed.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Homeopathy and 'alternative' medicine are an insult to us people that studied actual medicine. It's actually harmful since some desperate people are tricked into believing that it works and go for it instead of getting actual treatment.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
If somebody chooses alternative medicine over a proven treatment for something like cancer then I say let the great population control device claim another for the greater good.

If you've got depression and you believe dangling some crystals over your body is going to cure it, then all the more power to you...

That about some it up.

FluffyWelshCake

Jul 9, 2011
Stasisesque said:
I'm voting YOU, because I don't know what that means.

It best represents my feelings towards homeopathy. All I know is what people who understand the science tell me, my only option is to nod and follow blindly; or do the occasional read-up on it, and encounter even more contradictory and confusing points.

YOU. YOU indeed.
Yeah, that was meant to say "YOU'RE OFFENDING MY BELIEFS", but something went wrong somewhere down the line. I'm not sure what, but shit got fucked up, yo.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Its all total bullshit. If you think homeopathy is real you think capitalism isnt money based and people dont want money. Which is patently ridiculous. Why would "Big pharma" continue to sell "unnatural" medicines that dont work when they could sell "natural" cheaper AND effective medicines for the same price YOU do (IE A metric fuck tonne for some water)? The simple answer is it doesnt work. If it did official institutions and businesses that provide medical care would be reaping a gigantic profit by using crystals rather than chemo to treat cancer patients. But they dont.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
Homeopathy is stupid, but I think you are being biased by grouping other forms of alternate medicine with it. Thing is, a lot of medicine is funded by drug companies and such, and that's where all the money goes, not much can go to an area that isn't profitible. That's why no attention can go to alternative treatments that actually work. Often, some of the few double blind studies prove a treatment successful but nothing is followed up, and the study concludes that the study wasn't large enough for the treatment to reach mainstream status.

Dec 14, 2009
If homoeopathy wasn't complete nonsense, then technically, all we drink is urine and faeces.

It's a good job that it's complete bollocks.

What do we call alternate medicine that works? We call it medicine.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
It's amazing stuff. You kill the odd patient with cancer or heart disease... or bronchitis, flu, chicken pox or measles. But when someone comes in with a vague sense of unease or a touch of the nerves or even just more money than sense, you'll be there for them.

Greyhamster

Nov 26, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
If homoeopathy wasn't complete nonsense, then technically, all we drink is urine and faeces.

It's a good job that it's complete bollocks.

What do we call alternate medicine that works? We call it medicine.
Huh, I always say it the other way around:

Why do we call it alternate medicine? Because everything which works is already called 'normal' medicine.

The basis of homeopathy is actually a good one: small quantities of some bad things can be healthy (eating moderate amounts of dirt and being in a normal not-sterile-shiny-clean enviroment as a kind dimishes your chances of developing allergies. Recieving small amounts of radiation may actually be health: Here in the Netherlands people tend to live longer on average in areas with higher background radiation for example)
Some French dude said something like "There are no true poisons or cures" a long time back, and it is probably true.

However, that doesn't mean that diluting something so much you have about three molecules of the stuff in a bottle actually works. Heh, imagine how much cheaper health care would be if that was the case. So yeah, it's pretty much like a dude who heard about surgery and proceeds to perform surgery on people by cutting them to pieces with a chainsaw. But not as lethal.