Poll: Homosexuality in Mass Effect 3

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
As long as they don't pull another Anders, I really don't care. I mean if characters like Jack, Ashley, Miranda, Garrus, Kaidan or (omg Bioware pleeease) Joker, were made gay or bi, and it didn't effect their character, then it'll go well. But if they're made gay or bi and their character was a total 180, then we're going to have a problem.

Probably won't though, as Shepard is the one that usually starts the flirting and not the other way around.

Wait and see~!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
This topic again, eh? Well, it's been a while. I guess we were about due.

Anyway, it wouldn't particularly bother me.

Heterosexuality isn't really a major part of any of the character's personalities. I don't think it would "ruin" anything by allowing for the possibility of, say, Garrus and dude-Shep doing some co-calibrations, especially given that it's completely optional.

That said, Bioware's whole romance thing, gay or otherwise, strikes me as rather token. The romance subplots are never particularly well written and I suspect that at this point they're just doing it because people expect it. Forgive my obnoxious use of stereotypes, but they know that making a game without the whole romance angle would lead to a lot of lonely nerds getting upset at the loss of their favourite digital relationship substitute.

Josue Rodriguez

Jan 4, 2011
Zhukov said:
Eh, it would particularly bother me. Heterosexuality isn't really a major part of any of the character's personalities. I don't think it would "ruin" anything by allowing for the possibility of, say, Garrus and dude-Shep doing some co-calibrations, especially given that it's completely optional.

That said, Bioware's whole romance thing, gay or otherwise, strikes me as rather token. The romance subplots are never particularly well written and I suspect that at this point they're just doing it because people expect it.
Not all of them but they do have some sort of connection with the player and some of the parts, going back to Dragon Age 2... if we're being serious with the romances, if I start up a relationship with Anders, ended the relationship with my Hawke killing him for blowing up the nice old lady, I kinda had a sour feeling, like...geee...that sucks, there they did a good job because I was invested in the character and made me disappointed when he committed an act of terrorism. Where they failed was the reaction after, the other characters and even my Hawke...it's as if it never happened.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Who cares? It's not like you're going to walk up to Kaiden and he's going to say:
"Oh heyyyyyy, it's the good Shepard! What a cute hat you have on! Let's kill some alien bastards with fashion!"

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Don't see why. For any character that you weren't actively pursuing romance with the game more or less ignored it. So a Male Shepherd has no clue whatsoever as to the orientations of his male crew at this point, likewise for the female Shep and crew.

I just want Joker as a romance option for my original Shepherd, cause he's a badass.

Josue Rodriguez

Jan 4, 2011
Syphous said:
Who cares? It's not like you're going to walk up to Kaiden and he's going to say:
"Oh heyyyyyy, it's the good Shepard! What a cute hat you have on! Let's kill some alien bastards with fashion!"
I seriously hope not because that would be

one) extremely offensive
two) waaaaay too out of character
three) nobody does that

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Josue Rodriguez said:
Syphous said:
I seriously hope not because that would be

one) extremely offensive
two) waaaaay too out of character
three) nobody does that
Exactly, all of that is my point. Nothing will change because gay and straight people are the same; miserable piles of secrets.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
it wouldn't change anything about their character for me... the ONLY thing it would change or raise questions about is if they denied it in mass effect 1 or 2... for instance my best friend (who's a straight male, but happens to play a female Shepard) tried to get with Jack in his ME2 game, and she rejected it because "she dosn't swing that way" (literally it's what she says i was there) now if all of a sudden she's accepting of it in ME3 (i don't know if she's a squadmate, i'm just using this as an example) it would raise understandable questions like "what changed?"

that's the only thing that would change their character. being straight/gay/bi has no bearing on an actual character unless they're designed to portray stereotypes (such as the "flaming homosexual" character)

i also speak from experience... in many ways such as "was Samus any less of an epic character, or did it change her character, when you found out she was female in the early games? nope..." and most prevalently, from myself. i didn't know my sexuality for a long time and i thought i was straight up until junior year in high school where i found i wasn't. i told my friends and it didn't change a damn thing (except now they have one more thing to poke fun at. but it's all good harmless fun between great friends) nothing changed about how i acted, or how my friends saw me. i was the same person i was before. they just knew something else about me.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Thunderhorse31 said:
As long as they don't "pull an Anders" with Garrus, it'll be fine.

But so help me God...
OH MY GOD! Knock on wood now!

Anders was the best character in Dragon Age (in my opinion) until Bioware raped his character in Dragon Age II.

Knock on wood!
Knock on wood!
Knock on wood!

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Somewhat. In ME1 Kaiden was set up as a straight male. In ME2, he was still considered straight. Without a proper explanation, which I am sure Bioware can come up with, it would be odd for him to suddenly become bi-sexual. Same for all characters, exception with the Asari.

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
That just sounds like lazy writing to me, like they couldn't be bothered to invent new side characters for you to have hot gay sex with so they just re-engineered old ones

MPerce

May 29, 2011
It all goes down to writing. If making Kaiden a romantic option for a male Shep is handled well by the writers, then I'm all for it. If not....well, we all saw how Anders turned out in DA2.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
It doesn?t have to change anything outside of who they are attracted to. Your sexual orientation doesn?t necessarily change anything else about your personality. Whether it would ruin the character depends on the writers.
It wouldn?t make sense for Kaidan to be gay all of sudden, he very clearly likes girls but they could make him bi. If they don't build the character around the romance and either make the romance player initiated or have them flirt with you once but stop if you say no I don't really see why it would cause much of a problem. They could do it with established characters, it?s not like any tho explicitly state their sexuality. The fact that they haven?t mentioned attraction to a member of the same sex in your presence does not mean they are straight and lack of interest until that point can be easily explained by either them having a preference for the o/s, them not being as comfortable with the idea of a s/s relationship at first or just that they didn't think of you romantically untill now. Tho I don?t really like the idea of every character being bi or changing sexuality based on gender you pick like DA2. It kind of makes the characters feel more shallow, like they all just morph to you. That?s something that tends to bug me about bioware character already but it's still not a huge issue.
The only thing is that if Kaidan were bi it would make every time you walk up to him to talk on the ship in ME1 even more awkward because honestly it already look like a scene out of romance. :p
Soviet Heavy said:
As long as it doesn't turn Garrus gay I'll be fine. There is absolutely nothing from the first two games that indicates that he was bisexual, and it would be insulting for them to suddenly turn him into a bi just so that Bioware can go "Look! We're tackling gay romance in games! Aren't we progressive?"
I don?t understand why so many people get upset at the possibility of a Garrus/ MaleShep romance. He already willing to go with Femshep despite the fact that she is a different species and one which he isn?t particularly attracted too in the first place. It isn't that much of a stretch for him to willing to go with a male shepard as well.

Regardless, I think bioware mentioned somewhere that any S/S relationships would be with new characters.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Josue Rodriguez said:
will making Kaiden gay or bisexual in Mass Effect 3 for MY playthrough in the span of two games change his character to the point of it being soiled?
I don't see how him being gay really changes anything, maybe you'll get access to slightly different dialogue, finding out someone is gay doesn't change who they've established themselves to be and in my past experiences with a gay friend, it didn't even make the friendship awkward in any way...I suppose it could change things if you are homophobic but I hope you are smart enough not to be such a nasty thing.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
1) I really don't understand the obsession with romances in Mass Effect since they are such a small part of the games. But anyway...

2) The characters never say "I'm not gay, so this isn't happening". Maybe they just weren't ready for that kind of relationship at the moment. It's not hard to explain away.

There. Problem solved.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Wait. Isn't there a bit in ME2, on or after Horizon, where Kaidan tells Shepard, "I missed you like a missing limb"? Or something to that effect? I saved Ashley - something I regret now - but my friend who has a gazillion different ME characters said that that happened on her MALE Paragon. Sounds pretty lovey-dovey to me.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Actually, Kaiden and Ash were originally supposed to be homosexual romance options during a male and female playthrough respectively. From what I understand, the dialogue was hardly changed for the final product when the gay relationships were cut. Shepard's dialogue for the romance scene can even be found online.

I don't think making Ash and Kaiden available for same sex relationships in the third game would change much about their characters, especially considering they were originally options for it in the first game. And the way they act towards a same sex Shepard in ME1 and its sequel, it didn't strike me as totally in love with Shep, but it wouldn't totally surprise me either.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Didn't we get all of this stupidity out of the way with Dragon Age 2? Let's not go through it again. Gay people play games too, let Bioware be the one who includes us. Besides even if he was straight Kaiden would be a total queen.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
As long as it doesn't turn Garrus gay I'll be fine. There is absolutely nothing from the first two games that indicates that he was bisexual, and it would be insulting for them to suddenly turn him into a bi just so that Bioware can go "Look! We're tackling gay romance in games! Aren't we progressive?"
Are you in denial or something? We both know that's EXACTLY what they are gonna do.
Search your feelings, you know this to be true...

They will even have a flashback changing his tie-breaker joke to "I had reach, he had a pain in his behind" 4 realz.