Poll: How amazing was blitzball.

Magicite Spring

Apr 15, 2012
2xDouble said:
I had fun with it... until I started chasing the Saturn Sigil. Won about a million games (never lost since the first game), got to maximum level on my main team, even recruited back all of the Aurochs to power up Wakka's special kick... Never even saw the damned thing.
That is probably because there is also a hidden requirement that requires you to be in a certain amount of battles before the sigil appears as a reward. Totally sucks, but I'm glad I found out about it before I get X HD, save me a whole lot of trouble.

On Topic: Blitzball was fun to start with, but for me the appeal wore off pretty quickly. Every time I play X I only blitzball enough to get Wakka's ultimate weapon

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I found Blitzball to be something of a lie...in the first match or, tutorial match or whatever it seemed fun, easy and, playable but once you get the chance to actually play it afterward the difficulty spikes in a huge way, making the game downright unplayable for me. I liked the concept but, after that first game...it might as well have been dropped...so really, the first game might as well have been a cutscene.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I liked Blitzball, but I probably had an enjoyment advantage over most FF fans in the sense that I also love sports games (there are no bad genres, only bad representations of a genre).

Now, I didn't love it. The fucking Al Bhed Psyches started off so OP in the regular season, and you had to work at it until you knew where all the better players are around the game. And it was better to just wait until you can shove 999 gil up Wakka's nose for one of the cheapest, better strikers in the game (but that was at around the 4/5ths point of the story that you could do that).

But mother FUCK does it take a lot of games to get that goddamn sigil.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I would rather to carve off my balls with the disc, than play Blitzball again. One of the best things X-2 did, made it optional.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
No thanks. To be blunt, Blitzball was the shittiest part of the game. Played the mandatory match and continued on with the decent parts of Final Fantasy X.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I love Final Fantasy X most of the entire franchise... but the Blitzball I'm merely lukewarm to. No matter what you do Tidus will remain your best scorer, boiling most of the matches down to getting him in close so he can do Sphere Shot and/or Jecht Shot. It matches up with the story of course, but with ol' Chocobo-head at your side the only team I've found even remotely hard to beat is the Al Bhed Psyches (irony!). That is until I'm able to steal their awesome goalie, Nimrook. Then it's just dull.

I would have liked it more if:
-You were given better control of the rest of your team
-It was actually in a fully 3D sphere pool
-Longer matches, the passing and throwing animations eat up way too much time for 5 minutes

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I played a few seasons, it was good endgame distraction (and to get Wakka's special blitzball...). At least it was easier than doing Lulu's fricken lightning dodge "quest".
I did think BB was a decently made side-game and I might have considered playing it if they'd made it a standalone game. Plus I was a recruiting hound. I found out who the best players were, fired all the noobs from the original team and dominated.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I hated Blitzball, not just for the first unfair game, which was bad enough, but the fact that the randomness of the entire minigame was so blatantly bias towards the A.I. only made it worse. Anything random always favors the A.I., the tackling, blocking, the shooting, everything is designed so that the player always does worse than the actual numbers say they should, while the A.I. always does the best that's possible. It's because of this that the only way to actually win a game is to have one's statistics far beyond what the other team has, while exploiting the A.I.'s stupidity whenever possible.

Skrimmy

Jul 1, 2013
I actually enjoyed blitzball (I guess I'm a masochist, eh?). I even went so far as replaying the mandatory blitzball mission until I beat the Goers. Which, as it turns out, isn't nearly as rewarding (item wise) as I thought since I only got a power sphere.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i think the only thing i liked about Final Fantasy X was the design of the Chocobos. they were just so freakin cute.

oh yah, blitzball. i didnt understand the concept of how to play it so i bloody hated the mini game. then again i know absolutly shit all about soccer, underwater or not.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Held out for THREE overtimes in the championship before the opposing team scored..................FUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Yep, still haven't recovered from that gonna go cry in a corner now.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
Its a decent enough time sink. And I actually enjoy playing team handball (that's the game it most resembles... Which is basically basketball with a shrunken soccer goal.).
It does become boring and repetitive when your trying to unlock obscure team member moves. (Just try unlocking all of Miyu's abilities.... or Svenda's.... )

In X2 it was complete crap.

The first game, while you are supposed to loose, it is possible to win, even without having a previous introduction to it. On my first play through I was lucky enough to get the ball on the start and just passed it around for the whole first half. Leveled up the team sufficiently enough to make the second half a cake walk. (The introduction even tells you do this in order to lelevel up your characters).

I prefer sphere break from X2, or even better the card game in 9.

BTW, Nimrrok isn't the best goalie. He caps at 72 catch, Miyu gets to 88, and Dumal gets to 99. Tidus also isn't the best shooter, Ashe caps at 88, while Vilucha and Keepa both reach 99.
There are 2 other goalies that get over 80 in the upper levels. But once you get your offensive characters into the 70s or 80s, the goalie becomes useless entirely, as they will never ever be able to stop sphere shots.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Well, OP lost me at declaring FFX "ok".

As for Blitzball, I think it's a boring and stupid addition to an already painfully boring and tremendously stupid game. Although, it was among the high points of the game. That's not a good thing about Blitzball. That's a very, very, very bad thing about FFX.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I hated it, I much prefer FFVIII's Triple Triad or FFIX's Tetra Master. I only played the mandatory match of Blitzball and that was it, but then again, I dislike all sports games. I think it could have been more fun if the game was more balanced and you weren't locked to a 2D playing field.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
It was P. dull, let's face it. Given that the winning strategy was always "get one goal, maintain possession so enemy can't score past your hopeless keeper".
Even easier than that, get the ball and hide behind the goal. The enemy AI can't handle it.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Magicite Spring said:
2xDouble said:
I had fun with it... until I started chasing the Saturn Sigil. Won about a million games (never lost since the first game), got to maximum level on my main team, even recruited back all of the Aurochs to power up Wakka's special kick... Never even saw the damned thing.
That is probably because there is also a hidden requirement that requires you to be in a certain amount of battles before the sigil appears as a reward. Totally sucks, but I'm glad I found out about it before I get X HD, save me a whole lot of trouble.

On Topic: Blitzball was fun to start with, but for me the appeal wore off pretty quickly. Every time I play X I only blitzball enough to get Wakka's ultimate weapon
Not enough battles? I was at endgame. I had Auron's Sigil. How the hell does capturing multiples of every non-boss enemy in the game not qualify as "enough battles"?

Meh, whatever. I had my fun and I got everything I needed to finish the game.

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
I didn't like Blitzball until I figured out that you could recruit new players. All the default Aurochs have sucky stat growth, so I obviously ditched the entire original team except for Wakka. Then I had fun for a while.