Poll: How Big is Too Big?

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Looking at the diagram, at what point do you say "Nope, too big?"

Please PM me if you know the original artist

My limit is 6, I also could handle a 7 with an eye-patch. I think it's a surface area thing.

Background:
I became curious about other people's tolerance for eye size, after I tried to watch Azumanga Daioh.

I really enjoyed School Rumble, so I was pretty sure I would like the shows humor. I couldn't get past those eyes. Too unsettling.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'd say the first row has a seinen vibe to it (I like #3 the best). First row's OK. I can maybe cope up to #4 or #5 from the second row. #6 already feels disturbingly shonen/chibi. Third row is out of the question.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well she told me that she appreciates my tiny...oh wait...we're talking about something else? Never mind that.

Honestly...I don't care.

Mostly it depends on what they're trying to accomplish. A serious drama about the ups and downs of being a bounty hunter (Cowboy Bebop)? Probably looking for a 4 at the most. A zany comedy with lots of slap stick shenanigans (Shin Chan)? Do whatever you want.

The wackier you get, the less I care about the aesthetics. The more serious your subject matter, the more it matters to me since it's hard to take a 9 very seriously.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I like up to number 4, and can cope with number 5, though that's pushing it. Everything after that looks ridiculous unless it's a super stylized art style, like One Piece, or Kaiji where facial proportions in general are weird (and I mean weird for anime).

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'd say the first row has a seinen vibe to it (I like #3 the best). First row's OK. I can maybe cope up to #4 or #5 from the second row. #6 already feels disturbingly shonen/chibi. Third row is out of the question.
Huh. I never noticed before, but the nose starts disappearing to a point(#5), where it can no longer add emotion to the face. I know big eyes makes it easier to show emotions, but I think there's a tipping point where the other parts of the face that convey emotion(nose, chin, cheekbones) degrade too much.

The rate of return for bigger eyes isn't worth dialing down the other parts.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
It totally depends on what sort of style/vibe the author/artist is trying to establish/convey. For example the much-loved Power Puff Girls were about an 8.5 by that, and it didn't seem weird when watching the show.

To just look at in general I'd say about 3.5 is my preference.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Little Woodsman said:
It totally depends on what sort of style/vibe the author/artist is trying to establish/convey. For example the much-loved Power Puff Girls were about an 8.5 by that, and it didn't seem weird when watching the show.
That's a good example. I forgot about The PowerPuff Girls.

Personally, The PowerPuff Girls always sorta made me uncomfortable. I just naturally widen my own eyes when looking straight at their eyes. I thought the show was good, but that was partly because the focus was always the villains or people the girls were helping. They were just so small, they would naturally appear on the bottom right or left of the screen. Prolonged portrait shots were rare.

At least, that's how I remember it. It has been a while.

There is just an awful lot of eyelid on that girl.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Three's pretty good. I think it fits the art style well. Actually, only two and three look good, the other ones kinda suck

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hmm.. probably 6. 7 would be okay if it fit the rest of the design. 8 is where I'd say it's getting into kinda cute but kinda weird territory for me.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I'm not a big anime fan anyway (there's about a half dozen ones I like, could give almost everything else a miss) but anything past 6 is likely to be outside my comfort zone. Since it'll probably be aimed at a very young audience. And/or would be a waaaaaacky comedy. I could like shows with artstyles beyond 6 but it'd be less likely for this reason. Really 6 only applies to me for one or two 90s shows.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
2 for me. I'm not a fan of exaggerated art styles, so anything that just goes way over the top with things, be they weapons, hair or eyes, is not for me at all. I just think it all looks silly and not credible.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It really depends on what kind of show I'm watching and the rest of their body but I can't imagine anything where eyes are consistently size 8 and 9 to be tolerable.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It depends on the art style. All of those on the sheet work.

Now, if eyes 7 was on model, say, 4, that would be creepy and unsettling.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
When she says "Ouch!", it's too big.

Oh, wait, never mind. Number 4 is my max limit, I think. Anything higher just looks silly.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Well when you get jaw cramp trying to... Oh okay /dickjoke #2851

Up to 6 looks acceptable to me. 7 looks like Lucky Star sort of animation. Any after that could be used for exaggeration or comedy values.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
6 is a bit big for my, but it won't kill me. Past that's just... euch.

EeveeElectro said:
Well when you get jaw cramp trying to... Oh okay /dickjoke #2851

Up to 6 looks acceptable to me. 7 looks like Lucky Star sort of animation. Any after that could be used for exaggeration or comedy values.
Didn't you used to have a sexy cool Harley avatar?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
After looking at them for a while, my favourite is 7 but any higher than that looks like a bug-eyed alien rather than a person.