Poll: How common is your name?

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
Gene, but unlike in Ireland or the USA, (where even there its pretty uncommon) it's almost unheard of in Northwest England. Only ever met one other Gene.

Okamipsychonaut

Mar 30, 2010
My name is pretty uncommon and is usually used as a last name. It has really shaped my personality to have an uncommon name so I am glad I had it....to me it would be so bland to have one of the super common names that get chopped up into shorter names....like how one of my favorite bands says in the song The Day Everything Became Nothing...."I couldn't even remember my name...so I started calling myself Bob, it's weird being a Bob, but I will get used to it, I have to."
I got my name in a roundabout way from my Dad liking Bob Dylan and Dylan Thomas...but my name is not Bob, Dylan, or Thomas.

Monsieur E

Jul 1, 2011
kouriichi said:
'Markus' with a "K" is extremely rare. So im kinda happy about that.
The only other Markus i know of is "Notch". Which is funny because Minecraft is one of my favorite games.

http://names.mongabay.com/male_names.htm
You can use that site to get an decently accurate rating of how rare your name is.
According to this, I have the 312th most popular US male name! I haven't seen, heard of, or met anyone with my last name, though. I guess that is a good thing. I have at least 6 nicknames based around it. :/

Grab-bag

Dec 13, 2008
Max is not that common, at least not in Britain anyway, I only know of another Max or two out of a large amount of friends, mainly acquaintances.

DiabloBub666

Aug 1, 2010
I'm not sure which name you meant (first, middle, last), so I just went for the average of the three... on average, my name is "very rare," but I'm 99% sure no one else has my last name.

Talydia

Feb 15, 2011
very common

In the US
5,117,661 share my first name
809 share my last name
13 share my whole name

In one class I took, there were four of us, and not knowing each other before hand we all managed to sit at the same table. the teacher was confused

xavix

Mar 31, 2009
Epilepsy said:
Friggin' ALEX, i know at least 10 Alex's personally, i share it with more than a handful of video game characters and most people here will know at least one themselves. Then most people wonder why i go under a nickname.
I am an alex (alexander, actually, but whatever). ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

David Hebda

Apr 25, 2011
David... so many Davids... although my last name is so rare there are only 11 David Hebdas in the USA and one of us is 111 years old

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
"too common" should have been an option. I think your name is cool. Makes me think of Zero, the Maverick Hunter.

Nick_Snyder

May 20, 2011
I always thought Nicholas was a fairly common name. Dunno why, then again, that all depends on where you live and where you are from.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Epilepsy said:
Friggin' ALEX, i know at least 10 Alex's personally, i share it with more than a handful of video game characters and most people here will know at least one themselves. Then most people wonder why i go under a nickname.
But ... Alex is a nickname :(

OT: I've seen a few people with my name, but never met any in person. My first was used once in a TV show (NCIS) for the name of a marine, and I think I've heard it a couple more times on TV, but most of those seem to be when they are trying to give a name to the character that isn't 'John' or 'James' or something, yet also isn't foreign or weird. So my name is a 'rare but normal' as opposed to 'rare and weird' (like A-A, or Abcde) or a 'common and normal' (like John, Matthew, Alex, Chris, etc)