Poll: How do you feel about death penalty?

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
cloroxbb said:
I am all for the Death Penalty. I think it is not used enough. Im sick of hearing about someone who gets convicted of 1st degree murder getting a sentence of Life instead of Death. Why should tax payers have to pay for them for the rest of their lives when they should be suffering the same fate as their crime?

It actually pisses me off.
Because it costs more to put them on death row than keep them incarcerated for life.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Dislike the death penalty, too many people have been put to death when they weren't actually guilty.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
This sums it up quite right
People in prison should pay for their stay there, i am sure some do, but how many is anyones guess

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
cloroxbb said:
ThreeName said:
Because it costs more to put them on death row than keep them incarcerated for life.
How do you figure that?
Because the costs of appeals and extra court time are substantial, and usually (depending on the country in question, one imagines) end up costing more than it would have to keep the criminal in prison for the rest of his life:

http://www.law.du.edu/documents/criminal-law-review/issues/v03-1/Cost-of-Death-Penalty.pdf

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2011/09/22/death-and-taxes-the-real-cost-of-the-death-penalty/

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Eamar said:
Movitz said:
The only argument worth any merit, is that innocent people might get executed in the place of the actual criminal.

I believe that certain crimes are of such depraved nature and telling of a sick soul, that killing them would actually be doing both them and society a favor.
Pretty much this. I can't support it if there's any chance an innocent person might be killed, but that's my only reason for opposing it, not some moral position that the taking of life is always wrong.
Exactly my position on the subject.

Just had a pages long discussion on this in another thread...ugh.

LadyLightning

Jul 11, 2013
Death for murderers and castration for sex offenders. Those are things we need to do but can't.

The sentencing of criminals is not about punishing the guilty, it's about ensuring that the guilty are prevented from visiting further harm on the innocent.

Prisoners can escape. Corpses cannot.
Prisoners must eat food provided by your taxes. Corpses must not.
Prisoners can murder the guards who imprison them. Corpses cannot.

HOWEVER!

Until we can clean up our "justice" system, the death penalty isn't feasible. There are just as many innocent people sentenced as there are guilty people pardoned, because the facts involved in the case simply aren't held in as high regard as they should be during trials and investigations. It's less about finding out if the defendant is guilty and more about finding out which lawyer can tell the most lies, make the most appeals to emotion, without getting caught committing perjury. Else, how would OJ Simpson have been acquitted? It was even found later that he was indefensibly guilty - there was no chance that he could have been innocent, yet that monster of a man was protected by the statute of limitations. It wasn't until he did something ~else~ that they were able to lock him up.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
I support the death penalty for a couple of scenarios. But Ultimately I think we need to rethink our use of it and prison in general. Namely because I don't like the definition we use for the penal system.

Here's the way my brain works. Prison, and the death penalty are all about removing people from our society that don't fit in with the established way our society works. But we approach the penalty as a punishment for a crime, not as a solution to the problem.

The way I think it should work, at least at some point, is really more of a three stage system based on the severity of the infraction and the plausibility of reintegration into society of the individual. For instance, robbery (or other first offense crimes) should probably continue to be a crime where prison/rehabilitation is the solution. But then we get into territory where I think the system does not work because we can only re-incarcerate someone for repeat offense, or a failure to reintegrate into society. So repeat offenders or offenders with more severe infractions just keep coming back. This is where I would put in an intermediary step between incarceration and execution for very serious crimes (murder, rape, manslaughter, things like that). I would do what the British did, and send them away from our society. Preferably to somewhere like Somalia where there is no acting government to reject the person. Thus avoiding the problem of offending people by state execution or allowing them to become a burden on society by paying for them to be in prison or returning them to society where they can offend again.

As for execution, I think it needs to be kept around for some scenarios. An offender who simply lacks the ability to be changed. Someone truly deranged or insane. Someone like charles manson or some truly sick sociopath. Someone who doesn't just not fit with our society, but does not fit with humanity at large, a war criminal, a monster.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I fully support it.

I say, if someone violates the human rights of another, their own are forfeit.