Poll: How do you feel about EuroVision?

Snekcid_Eillib

May 20, 2009
Now, I am not the sort of person to hold any traditions. Except when it comes to EuroVision.

I'm going to assume that I'm not the only one who likes to book that particular night off, bring in some alcohol and giggle at the cheesiness of the whole thing, crying with laughter at not only Britain's entry but most of the other ones as well.

For the past few weeks I have been preparing myself for a fun night, seeing how Russia would do hosting the event, and expecting more tacky performances. That wasn't the case this year.

After changing the voting system (half-public, half-panel), Europe seemed to have taken the competition more seriously, with better written songs and voting for songs that they actually liked, rather then voting for the performance that they found the funniest (which for me this year was Sweden, and yes I did vote for them).

It wasn't terrible for me, I enjoyed some of the songs, there were funny acts on, and Graham Norton did a great job commentating. Plus the UK did much better this year getting to 5th place.

It may not be the EuroVision that I grew up with, but it may not necessarily be a bad thing to take this competition more seriously.

The questions I'd like to ask you guys are:

1. What do you think about this year's EuroVision?
2. Who was your favorite song?
3. Anything you'd like to see improved?

edit: I think I made the wrong choice in deciding what my first topic should be. Is there no-one else who watches it for laughs?

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
I don't like Eurovision, everyone just votes for who has the most oil.

EDIT: My favouite song was fairytale, because it's the only one I've listened to. And thats only because my Norweigen freind wouldn stop going on about how freaking amazing and ultraful it was, those were his precise words in describing it.

MusicalFreedom

May 9, 2009
I honestly think that Graham Norton needed to get a little bit more drink in him, he had potential, but was just a little bit off. Maybe next time he'll really show us how funny he can be.

I thought that some of the songs were performed horribly - there were quite a few singers who were flat or sharp by just a little, so the comedy was still there. Don't want it to be taken seriously, really.

None of the songs were memorable for me, but I'm terrible at remembering them. All I remember is that dude from the Norwegian entry was quite cute but had furry caterpillars for eyebrows.

I don't know about improvements. I reckon better commentary would be nice.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
I don't think it's become any more serious to be honest. It's always been fairly straight faced.

The acts haven't got any better either, if anything they've got worse.
I mean, as much as they aren't a band I listen to, ABBA had cred.

Snekcid_Eillib

May 20, 2009
MusicalFreedom said:
I honestly think that Graham Norton needed to get a little bit more drink in him, he had potential, but was just a little bit off. Maybe next time he'll really show us how funny he can be.

I thought that some of the songs were performed horribly - there were quite a few singers who were flat or sharp by just a little, so the comedy was still there. Don't want it to be taken seriously, really.

None of the songs were memorable for me, but I'm terrible at remembering them. All I remember is that dude from the Norwegian entry was quite cute but had furry caterpillars for eyebrows.

I don't know about improvements. I reckon better commentary would be nice.
Graham's comical timing was good, and it would've been good for him to have been drinking more. Is it possible he was being careful as it was his first time commentating the event?

(Is it me, or was that guy from Norway's teeth quite yellow?)

Snekcid_Eillib

May 20, 2009
Arcticflame said:
I don't think it's become any more serious to be honest. It's always been fairly straight faced.

The acts haven't got any better either, if anything they've got worse.
I mean, as much as they aren't a band I listen to, ABBA had cred.
I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only one who doesn't watch this straight-faced...

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I really, really HATE!!!! EuroVision. Although, I really don't bother caring.

MusicalFreedom

May 9, 2009
Snekcid_Eillib said:
Graham's comical timing was good, and it would've been good for him to have been drinking more. Is it possible he was being careful as it was his first time commentating the event?

Yeah, Graham was definitely being careful. I guess he can't go too far and break out the dick jokes or whatever

And that guy's teeth don't seem that bad.

vickyyfar

May 18, 2009
I liked the old cheesiness of EuroVision, but I usually just watch the acts and then turn off the TV. I just cannot find the willpower to sit through 42 "And our twelve points go to.."

Snekcid_Eillib

May 20, 2009
MusicalFreedom said:
Snekcid_Eillib said:

Yeah, Graham was definitely being careful. I guess he can't go too far and break out the dick jokes or whatever

And that guy's teeth don't seem that bad.
Maybe it was the contrast of his shirt...

Graham did seem to bring his wit into it though...

Feb 18, 2009
It´s comical value has really started to wear off. There´s only so much cheesiness you can digest before throwing up. Now it´s just utter garbage (mainly because we suck at it.)