Poll: How do you feel about younger gamers?

ScreamSlayer

Mar 7, 2010
Hey escapists, I'm 13 and would like to know how you feel about gamers my age playing online, say at Blops?

I play online fairly often, with a mic, and there's a lot of hate that I get when i mention my age online?
I try not to be a douche bag, often being a team player, and my voice has cracked so its not like im some high pitched whiner, but I still get a lot of hate when I mention I am thirteen, just wondering what your thoughts are on the matter, and if it's justified, I do know a lot of kids like me are annoying as fuck though, so i can sorta see where a lot of people are coming from, its still stereotyping though, which I am strongly against.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Yeah I do have to say when assholes online are being assholes they are usually young. No its not a sterotype or generalisation, its an observation. And at the same time, not all tweens are assholes.
I usually play with older people, like 30's +, they are more easy going and generally fun to play with and unwind with. Though I'll admit that statement is a generalisation.
Its also because I get along well with mature people, because I'm a little vanilla.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
I don't agree with under 16's being banned from online play.

I played a lot of World of Warcraft and Battlefield 2 with a mic when I was 15-16 (and still do) and I was never on the receiving end of any "hate" apart from the odd "You're quite young" comment, but nothing more.

I would put that down to the fact that I didn't scream blue murder down the microphone into everyone's ears every time I got killed, I was a
co-operative team member who understood how to play his class and make it work as part of the group. And dammit, we took it seriously. When the WoW raid wiped, or our squad got fragged, it wasn't the "fucking kid's" fault, it was our fault. We weren't good enough, so we would try again. And again.

The problem with some younger gamers is they don't know how to play the game, or are unwilling to learn. Then they're an issue. But for those actually willing to learn how to play, let them learn! Remember how you were when you played for the first time? For those that don't want to learn and are just there to fuck about... yeah, kick 'em off the server.

Part of this comes down to the more mature players, though. Some instantly assume that just because it's a kid playing, they're an asshole. Not true, methinks.

Erm... may have rambled a little.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
As long as they behave; the same as everyone else.

Hating someone based only on their age is a form of unjust discrimination, and is therefore unacceptable.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
MGlBlaze said:
As long as they behave; the same as everyone else.

Hating someone based only on their age is a form of unjust discrimination, and is therefore unacceptable.
This entirely. I've not noticed any age group that doesn't have pricks about it, don't know why the younger ones get so much aggro for it.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
cyrogeist said:
imnotparanoid said:
Im 15.
so no.
13 and under should have no mic though :p
as a 13 year old...i agree with this.
Actually maybe games should come with a test if your voice is above a certain pitch, you get blocked XD
And if you act like a dick you get shot with a crossbow!
ALL CONSOLES MUST NOW CONTAIN CROSSBOWS!

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
16 but I never mention my age or gender because sometimes they work against me.
I don't think the younger generation should be banned unless they are the pricks that scream every second.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
I once played L4D online and a guy joined my game he had no mic and was 10 years old, he told me that on the other servers he played on when he said how old he was they immediately kicked him out

Though he behaved alright

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
cyrogeist said:
imnotparanoid said:
Im 15.
so no.
Actually maybe games should come with a test if your voice is above a certain pitch, you get blocked XD
actually i can't play Tom Clancy's EndWar because of my voice :C

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
ScreamSlayer said:
Hey escapists, I'm 13 and would like to know how you feel about gamers my age playing online, say at Blops?

I play online fairly often, with a mic, and there's a lot of hate that I get when i mention my age online?
I try not to be a douche bag, often being a team player, and my voice has cracked so its not like im some high pitched whiner, but I still get a lot of hate when I mention I am thirteen, just wondering what your thoughts are on the matter, and if it's justified, I do know a lot of kids like me are annoying as fuck though, so i can sorta see where a lot of people are coming from, its still stereotyping though, which I am strongly against.
The typical 13 year old Black Ops whining angry kid is a prevalent stereotype that has come about due to very valid reasons. Stereotypes are a natural product of the simple human Psychology of Schemas; it's the same dynamic that causes our want/need to categorise things (see: Science). But I appreciate that not all of the individuals in that demographic conform to that stereotype. If someone say's they're 13, I generally won't automatically go off the handle, they'll have to firstly show that they conform to the stereotype before I start getting arsey.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Well they really shouldn't be playing half the games I play online anyway, seeing as they're 15+ rated.
But I've got no issues so long as people behave themselves.
Having said that there's no age limits on being an asshole although I have to admit that most of the really whiny people I?ve encountered are under 25.
On the otherhand I've been in clans with incredibly mature teenagers and found them better behaved then some grown adults.
It really varies from person to person.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
cyrogeist said:
imnotparanoid said:
cyrogeist said:
imnotparanoid said:
Im 15.
so no.
actually i can't play Tom Clancy's EndWar because of my voice :C
Aw :3
Thats controlled via voice right?

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
yup...or you can use the controller...but...that's just a pain in the ass
and i was looking forward to saying: "unit 5 move to Bravo!"
or something like that :C

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Kids should not be banned because some kids are annoying. If that's a problem you should just ban annoying people. You should welcome the nice 8-year-old and ban the dickhead 30-year-old. Although I guess if you own a private server and you're a prejudiced asshole, you have the right to refuse any group of people that you don't like.

Kids should be banned from online games that are just not for their age (i.e. 15yo can't play DNF), but I think that goes without saying. Parents should also decide for themselves if they want their kid to play (and chat) online. Many parents seem to be afraid their child will be a victim of some kind of predator, but they should just forbid their kid from playing online themselves, rather than look at the game companies.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I have no problems as long as they aren't annoying. I hate when they talk really loud though. It's not like whining and screaming, but just don't talk so loud into the mic and it's all good. We can hear you fine.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
I strongly support everyone gaming, it's bloody wonderful that my little brother (who is 8 years younger than me) can kick my ass at almost any game he plays.
My prerequisites for online play are: Respect, team player, lose with dignity, win with humility, use curses as exclamations and not attacks, be constructive of players worse than you rather than condemning them, consider advice from players better than you without assuming they are stupid or attacking you.
Don't feed trolls, haters, or assholes, that's not the environment anyone should promote.
Others consider it "just letters" or a physical description of events unfolded but I still consider a common "Good Game/GG" a sign of respect for the other players.

This list could go on for ever but it all comes back to the golden rule number A:
Don't be a dick.

Everyone will break some of these, I break some of these, but I don't care where you are from.
I don't care if you are 2 years old or 384 years old.
Aspire to not be a dick and you are welcome in any game I play.