Poll: How do you judge your games?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Enjoyability. If I'm not enjoying myself, than what's the point? To finish the story? I'll just read some spoilers thanks. Some people would disagree and push through depressing or frustrating games just to see how the story plays out, and that's fine. But not me, I just want to have fun.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
I'm usually a sucker for more interesting and well done aesthetics over storyline or gameplay(not to say the aren't important), however I think game length\replay value is a major part for me as well.

ThatFanBoyGuy

Dec 23, 2009
How I rate games comes down to three main parts: gameplay, aethethics and story. Now on the surface level it's 3 main parts, but if I were to go in-depth to what those mean, there would be much more things I grade my games by, which many are mentioned here. The controls are part of the gameplay. The story is not only the plot, but also the setting and the character development. A good plot can be ruined by poorly depicted characters. Aesthetics includes graphics.

And sometimes game genre can give the game extra aspects to judge. For example, music games will be judged based on song setlist. FPS will be graded upon what weapontry and armor is used. RPGs will be graded on its experience/level up system, as well as side quests.

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
I judge a game by its flaws, not by any of the positive aspects of it.
It's the flaws in the end that make or brake my immersion in a game.

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
ewoke29 said:
By how much my decisions affect the game.
Everyone talks about this.
I don't really understand, because generally I like a story to drive itself, I want to be lead along sometimes. When games add choices to gameplay generally it is done badly and not worth doing at all imo

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Story.
Then gameplay.
Then value for my dollar.
In that order.

On a different day, I might say gameplay first.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Gladion said:
Memorability, if that's even a word. If I (after months) still remember a few moments of the game because they were so fascinating, fun to play, funny or whatever, then it's a good game. Special moments like those usually outweigh a game's flaws.

This is why all the games on my top-fav-whatever-list are games that are far away from flawless, but just so damn memorable.
Memorability, If it isn't a word it is now. I couldn't have put it better my self most of my favourite games have the "sucky gameplay" title written across them in big capital letters.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I go for the most basic question "Do I have fun playing this?" If yes, then it's a must buy/must have...

That didn't stopped me from getting the mother of the frustuations, Heavenly Swords back then sadly...

OdyCay

Aug 29, 2010
i rate games on the game play, world, and plot.
i mean look at oblivion Great world good plot and gameplay.
its at the top of my list

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
I'd say I probably start with aesthetics. Aesthetics let me know what kind of game I'm in for and a good aesthetic makes it all the more fun. I won't even touch a game with bad aesthetic design.

Then I move on to gameplay, this is usually the make-or-break for most games I play.

Then story, even if the gameplay is great a bad story will usually lead to me quitting. On the other hand, a great story can keep me going even if the gameplay is horrid.

Value for money only really comes into the equation at the time of buying, so I really don't judge my games based on that principle too often. I've never really had to bother with that because if there was ever a game I wished I'd never bought, it was usually something I fished out of a bargain bin anyway.

Scorekeeper

Mar 15, 2011
Value. A wondrously fun game that's fairly short is as valuable as a longer game that's fun to a lesser degree.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I judge them based on how much fun I had. A good story that makes me laugh can beat out bad controls, but gameplay that's unique and entertaining can trump a piss-poor story.

If I can play a game and say, I had a good time with this, then I judge it as a good game. If I play it more than once, or have fond memories of playing it, I consider it one of the best. Of my Top 3 games, the 2nd and 3rd placers, RE4 and FO3, are in there because I love playing them so much that I've beaten them so many times and logged so many hours in on them. My number 1, Sly Cooper 2, is number one because I think of the game so fondly that it makes me look at all the games I've played, and puts them to shame almost. It was just how fun I had playing that made it so good

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Gameplay is the chief concern, but everything has to come together. I really don't have time to play average games any more.