Poll: How do you like your meat cooked?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I love hamburgers. And like most food, I like it cooked well. However I seem to find myself in the minority for that, so I'm curious how you all like your meat (burgers, steak, whatever) cooked. And why?

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
I like my meat rare and bleeding. I love it juicy and red. But it also depends on the kind of meat of course. It has to be good meat. Burgers for example are better at a medium/medium rare cook because it isn't that great meat, and a good ribcage benefits form the extra cooking to heat up the bone. But a good streak it must be very rare. I can do "Blue" as in almost only heated up for when I feel particularlyt bloody. Good meat doesn't need anything else but the flavour and texture of the juicy meat. Love it. But it has to be rare. IN my opinion over cooking the meat is a sin or only for grade D meat that is terrible by itself and needs the flavour disguisied.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I like Medium Rare (so brown with a touch of pink in the middle....Giggity). Rare just worries me since you get into the "this might make me violently sick" category of food so I go with Medium Rare to try to mitigate those risks while having a great burger.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well done. I've tried all of the cooks and rare is terrible. At least to me. Cold, wet and chewy steak is terrible. Cook the damn meat!
Well done burgers, steaks, pork steaks. You name it, I like it crispy!

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
It all depends on what kind of beef we're talking about.

Hamburgers get to come medium/medium well. Ground meat can be a bit riskier to go red on, as the 'internal'part is more likely to contain bacteria then, say a steak, and some weird things can happen to a patty that isn't consistently cooked. Also, it's a burger - I like it to be juicy, but if you go too light on the meat it can get a little too moist.

When it comes to meat that's going into something like a stir-fry or soup, medium is preferred. Usually gives it a texture that's better suited to sharing the plate.

Then there's 'good' (Cuts not riddled with connective tissue and fat) steaks, where I like it medium rare. Perfect combination of juiciness, heat, and texture.

And then there's 'bad' steak (The stuff that's not very consistent in composition). If for some odd reason your using this kind of meat as a steak, medium or medium well is often best. Even if it makes the muscle a bit tougher, it can help break that other crap down.

Silentpony said:
Well done. I've tried all of the cooks and rare is terrible. At least to me. Cold, wet and chewy steak is terrible. Cook the damn meat!
I hate to be 'that guy,' but you can't possible have had a medium/medium rare steak done right. I do agree with the other bit though - Absolute rare and blue steaks are gross as hell.

Oh, and obviously, I like my chicken well done (Raw chicken meat is not only a huge safety hazard, but it has the texture and flavor of a super ball marinated in ball sweat), and my pork done until white throughout. Technically, a little pink in pork isn't dangerous and does add flavor, but my guts have been turned inside out by pig one too many times.

Also, didn't vote in the poll, because it all depends and I can't make an absolute call on this one.

EDIT: Also, my favorite cuts of beef for steaks are flat iron and sirloin. I like porterhouses and T-bones, but I find them a little over rated.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I like my steaks rare, my smokie's slightly burnt when done over a campfire and the rest of my meat well done.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
AccursedTheory said:
That's actually a fairly accurate assumption. It all depends on the type of meat. Goat and chicken need to be fully cooked. Steak can get away with a little red. Lamb can be medium. Fish needs to be cooked. All depends.
And it may be that i haven't had a well cooked medium well steak. St. Louis is more known for its pork steaks and bbq than its steaks.

Oh, and we both know you love to be that guy. You might as well change your motto to 'That guy' instead of days since hooker deaths. Which I'll point out has been disturbingly at 2 days for weeks.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I like my meat medium.

Just enough pink in the middle to still be juicy, but cooked enough to where it doesn't 'moo' back when I bite into its sweet sweet essence. :D

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Silentpony said:
I will echo the sntiment you haven't had a great steak correctly cooked. Rare isn't cold, it can be pipimg hot and red an it ia juicy not wet and it a good quality steak is so soft that you can slice an inch into the meat with a single knife movement. That is how a good meat is and why it ia best rare.

And well yes, it dependa on the type. I like rare beef. Amd rare tuna and some other fish plates (sealed tuna is delivious). But chiken amd pork are better more cooked as well as rabit. But beef is best almost mooing back.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Kinda depends on the meat, does it not? I mean I like my chicken nice and white inside as, you know, I like my food not killing me.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
RARE. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

I like steak juicy. Rare has more flavor to the meat as far as I'm concerned.

Tbh I'd eat a steak raw if I thought it was safe to do so.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Since I'm a freak against food hygine (I ALWAYS wash my hands when I'm having food eaten by hand like chicken leg or burgers), I liked my well done. I'm have a mindset that not fully heated food will be bad for my stomach (yes I know there are intended cold cooked foods and are still ok to eat!).

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Secondhand Revenant said:
If you can find a butcher who's basically killing and serving his meat within a handful of days, who's trust worthy and knows what he's doing, it's possible to eat beef raw. A lot of chefs also test their meat before purchase or cooking by tasting it raw.

Probably not a good idea if you don't know the butcher, or aren't a particularly proficient food preparer yourself.

Amusingly, this is one of the few times, when it comes to flavor, where someone can actually be factually wrong. Cooked meat has more flavor - It't the whole point behind cooking it, besides the 'trying not to die' bit. You may prefer the taste of raw beef (I think you're crazy, personally, but it's a matter of taste), but cooked meat, by default, has more flavor.

Until you get to the point where it's beyond well done, of course. By that time, you've overshot complexity and landed square at uniform brick.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
AccursedTheory said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
If you can find a butcher who's basically killing and serving his meat within a handful of days, who's trust worthy and knows what he's doing, it's possible to eat beef raw. A lot of chefs also test their meat before purchase or cooking by tasting it raw.

Probably not a good idea if you don't know the butcher, or aren't a particularly proficient food preparer yourself though.
I've heard of this. Both me and my best friend kind of want to try it some time. But it seems like a lot of trouble to go through and a bit risky XD

Amusingly, this is one of the few times, when it comes to flavor, where someone can actually be factually wrong. Cooked meat has more flavor - It't the whole point behind cooking it, besides the 'trying not to die' bit. You may prefer the taste of raw beef (I think you're crazy, personally, but it's a matter of taste), but cooked meat, by default, has more flavor.

Until you get to the point where it's beyond well done, of course. By that time, you've overshot complexity and landed square at uniform brick.
Huh! And so I learned something new. I guess I just really like the taste of bloodier beef.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I had a raw burger once at a restaurant, it was brown on the outside but still red bleeding ground beef inside. I ate all of it and somehow didn't get sick and honestly I was happy to do it. Felt like a caveman. My mother had the same burger but when she saw that it wasn't cooked she had them take it back.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I voted "alive" because I don't want it cooked. I want the animal to live. Currently that's the only "alive" response. I'm a vegetarian.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Sushi! Where's that fall exactly? I put Rare. Sushi's wonderful. Even the stuff from Grocery stores.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
MHR said:
I voted "alive" because I don't want it cooked. I want the animal to live. Currently that's the only "alive" response. I'm a vegetarian.
I intentionally left out a non-meat eater answer, since that's not the question I asked. Alive was more meant as a hyperbolic joke answer, since polls on the internet are generally expected to have a joke answer, but I find they kind of soil the point of a poll. Oh well.

Rebel_Raven said:
Sushi! Where's that fall exactly? I put Rare. Sushi's wonderful. Even the stuff from Grocery stores.
Non-rare sushi isn't sushi.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I can eat anything within the "medium well" to "medium rare" range.
Though for me, perfection is somewhere in the medium-rare area.

Now... I'm really in the mood for some good ol' steak.
Please wagyu beef, come to my moooooouth!

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Saelune said:
MHR said:
I intentionally left out a non-meat eater answer, since that's not the question I asked. Alive was more meant as a hyperbolic joke answer, since polls on the internet are generally expected to have a joke answer, but I find they kind of soil the point of a poll. Oh well.

Rebel_Raven said:
Non-rare sushi isn't sushi.
Well, I've had cooked egg sushi, tempura sushi. Not sure what that's really called then. :p
Probably a few other cooked sorts.
Though most sushi generally gets cooked lightly with citric acid. Still rare though. But I do mean really cooked. Quail Egg wouldn't do well uncooked. Runny, I'd imagine.

Sleep might be in order. Don't want to ramble more.