Poll: How do you like your meat cooked?

Sep 9, 2007
Which meat are we talking about? I prefer my steak medium, but kangaroo needs to be done medium-rare (take it any further and you might as well eat the plate instead. Overdone roo is pretty unpleasant) and chicken needs to be cooked through. As for burgers, I like them cooked medium-well to well. The recipe I learned from my parents keeps the burger moist even when you cook it thoroughly.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
No vegetarian option? Rood.
Well, back when eating meat didn't make me ill, I used to like my meat well done. Especially steaks, had to be cooked to thorough greyness. Gosh, I can't even imagine eating meat anymore. At least some Quorn stuff is passable. Not the fake bacon though. That stuff is a joke.
Hnnnng, my stomach should not be rebelling just from typing this post.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Katherine Kerensky said:
No vegetarian option? Rood.
Vegetarians don't taste all that great anyway. Too stringy. :D

Back to the main question at hand. Rare steak for me. I generally don't like overcooked meat. Slow-roasted BBQ pork ribs are one of the few exceptions.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
DoPo said:
I believe there is - it's the "Alive" one.
Unfortunately, the OP said in a later reply that that is intended as a joke option. So I didn't want to skew the poll by choosing it.

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
I sit perfectly in the middle because of my parents. My father likes his steak cooked to the point where it is just short of being considered charcoal and my mother makes the joke "I want my steak rare, R-A-W."

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
For food safety reasons I refuse to eat ground beef at less than a medium well cook. No matter where it was sourced I cannot be sure it was neither contaminated with e-coli or slaughtered properly to avoid it getting tainted. The meat being mixed in together in ground beef makes me a little squeamish about eating a rarer cook.

Now on whole cuts, it's a different story. While I recognize the appeal of eating them as rare as possible a nicely marbled steak or prime rib roast tastes best to me at a medium rare. That gets the fat just starting to render and melt and make the meat taste really juicy and good. A good quality roast reverse seared to get a caramelized outside and juicy interior, or a thick well marbled steak hit hard and fast with high heat for the same effect.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Well done, but only with high-grade meat, just so I can taste the disappointment of whoever had to cook it. The most delicious seasoning of all! MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Silentpony said:
Well done. I've tried all of the cooks and rare is terrible. At least to me. Cold, wet and chewy steak is terrible. Cook the damn meat!
Well done burgers, steaks, pork steaks. You name it, I like it crispy!
Rare steak shouldn't be chewy. A well cooked rare fillet melts under a butter knife.

The Eupho Guy said:
Which meat are we talking about? I prefer my steak medium, but kangaroo needs to be done medium-rare
What would you liken the taste of Kangaroo to?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I like red meat to be rare or blue. I've eaten it raw often enough and while that is nice it does taste better with a little bit of cooking. When I'm cooking mince I'll often nibble on raw bits of it as I'm adding it to the pan. I've been doing that for twenty years and it's not made me ill yet.

Saelune said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Sushi! Where's that fall exactly? I put Rare. Sushi's wonderful. Even the stuff from Grocery stores.
Non-rare sushi isn't sushi.
Sushi is all about the rice seasoned with vinegar, salt, and sugar. It doesn't have to have fish, cooked or raw, to be sushi. Though I do like the varieties of sushi that are topped with raw fish. I love sashimi too, just little slices of raw fish, preferably tuna.

elvor0 said:
The Eupho Guy said:
Which meat are we talking about? I prefer my steak medium, but kangaroo needs to be done medium-rare
I know you're not asking me, but I'd say it's not too dissimilar to venison. I disagree that it should be medium rare, though. Kangaroo should be rare as hell. Cooking it too much past that makes it very tough.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
infohippie said:
elvor0 said:
The Eupho Guy said:
I know you're not asking me, but I'd say it's not too dissimilar to venison. I disagree that it should be medium rare, though. Kangaroo should be rare as hell. Cooking it too much past that makes it very tough.
Ah okay cheers, I vaguely expected it to be something like hare, but I certainly wish to try it either way if I ever get the chance, though I should imagine it's quite difficult to get hold of outside of places that normally eat it unfortunately.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Rare or Medium Rare

Also, you're missing Blue from the poll. That's basically extra-rare (not alive, that's raw)

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Saelune said:
MHR said:
I voted "alive" because I don't want it cooked. I want the animal to live. Currently that's the only "alive" response. I'm a vegetarian.
I intentionally left out a non-meat eater answer, since that's not the question I asked.
Then your poll is a bad one. Didn't you learn this at school? Polls need to be spanning otherwise they become inaccurate due to people outside of your options choosing randomly or on an arbitrary bias.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Maze1125 said:
Saelune said:
MHR said:
I voted "alive" because I don't want it cooked. I want the animal to live. Currently that's the only "alive" response. I'm a vegetarian.
I intentionally left out a non-meat eater answer, since that's not the question I asked.
Then your poll is a bad one. Didn't you learn this at school? Polls need to be spanning otherwise they become inaccurate due to people outside of your options choosing randomly or on an arbitrary bias.
Not sure if you are serious but why is the poll bad? Vegetarians simply do not apply to the poll. they don't eat meat, ergo they don't like it cooked, raw, frozen, tartar or however. Any answer to this poll from a vegetarian is bad data. If I was a vegetarian I would assume this poll and therefore topic wasn't for me. I would not open it or vote. much similar to if there was a topic on how I prefer my tofu made. i can't farking stand tofu so my opinion is utterly invalid to such a topic.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
jklinders said:
Any answer to this poll from a vegetarian is bad data.
Yes, exactly. Hence there needs to be, at the very least, an "other" option. So that any irrelevant data goes into that option rather than contaminating the poll itself. Just because you would refrain from answering a poll that didn't apply to you doesn't mean others will do the same as you.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Medium-well to medium.
It really depends on the restaurant as they all have slightly different definitions of their doneness.
It's just the best combination of taste and texture.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Maze1125 said:
jklinders said:
Yes, exactly. Hence there needs to be, at the very least, an "other" option. So that any irrelevant data goes into that option rather than contaminating the poll itself. Just because you would refrain from answering a poll that didn't apply to you doesn't mean others will do the same as you.
You seem to be implying that providing an irrelevant answer to the poll will deter trolling.

I'm afraid that's wrong.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Rebel_Raven said:
TT Kairen said:
infohippie said:
I don't like sushi or seafood, so I never cared to become well informed on it. Was always told it was raw fish.

Maze1125 said:
Never took internet polling in school, no. I'm not looking for the opinions of non-meat eaters. Ofcourse they can always post a response here. Plus the poll isn't the primary part of the topic, since I already noticed how most people like their meat, I just wanted more in-depth reasoning why they liked meat prepared that way, which I am getting. Very interesting stuff. Plus I have more trust in Escapist members than the internet at large. I feel more bad for not having better options for people like AccursedTheory who has varied preferences for varies types and qualities of meat.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Maze1125 said:
jklinders said:
Then what is to stop them from just pissing in it anyway? Your reasoning is flawed. the poll is fine.