Poll: How do you like your meat cooked?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I'll take well done/nearly burnt to a crisp for $600.
Maze1125 said:
Then your poll is a bad one. Didn't you learn this at school? Polls need to be spanning otherwise they become inaccurate due to people outside of your options choosing randomly or on an arbitrary bias.
The poll applies only to meat eaters. In this case, there just isn't a way to prevent people from giving a false/irrelevant answer.
Maze1125 said:
Yes, exactly. Hence there needs to be, at the very least, an "other" option. So that any irrelevant data goes into that option rather than contaminating the poll itself. Just because you would refrain from answering a poll that didn't apply to you doesn't mean others will do the same as you.
One could be added but doesn't really work for the poll since it's directed at meat eaters and makes zero sense to ask a non-meat eater how they like their murder cooked.
jklinders said:
Then what is to stop them from just pissing in it anyway? Your reasoning is flawed. the poll is fine.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Saelune said:
Rebel_Raven said:
TT Kairen said:
infohippie said:
I don't like sushi or seafood, so I never cared to become well informed on it. Was always told it was raw fish.
Lots of types of sushi have nothing to do with fish at all. You might find you like a few! There are sushi rolls with vegetable or cooked meat, and nigiri style ones with omelette or tofu. Though fish is the most common ingredient after the rice, certainly.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
Rebel_Raven said:
TT Kairen said:
infohippie said:
I don't like sushi or seafood, so I never cared to become well informed on it. Was always told it was raw fish.
Lots of types of sushi have nothing to do with fish at all. You might find you like a few! There are sushi rolls with vegetable or cooked meat, and nigiri style ones with omelette or tofu. Though fish is the most common ingredient after the rice, certainly.
I'm an extremely picky eater. Part of the inspiration for this topic was cause I'm considering trying to learn to just make and prepare my own burgers, but I also like to be able to prepare food to other's preferences, since I find most people don't like food as well cooked as I do.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
Saelune said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
jklinders said:
Guys, this isn't a personal opinion of mine. This is how statistics works.

If your poll isn't spanning then it will produce invalid data.
If you're fine with having an invalid poll, then fine, that's up to you, but is seems kinda pointless to go to effort of creating something with absolutely no utility.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Burnt to a crisp. If you can't grind it and snort it of the back of a hooker, you're cooking your meat wrong.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Maze1125 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Saelune said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
jklinders said:

If you're fine with having an invalid poll, then fine, that's up to you, but is seems kinda pointless to go to effort of creating something with absolutely no utility.
I guess its good this isn't a national scientific study. Though if it were, I would only look for meat-eaters , and would be like "30% of meat-eaters polled prefer their meat cooked this way, 12% that way..."

I'm not mad at you or anything by the way. Hope you aren't taking this personally either.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Maze1125 said:

If the poll was meant to be totally serious, there wouldn't be an Alive option.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Saelune said:
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
Rebel_Raven said:
TT Kairen said:
infohippie said:
I'm an extremely picky eater. Part of the inspiration for this topic was cause I'm considering trying to learn to just make and prepare my own burgers, but I also like to be able to prepare food to other's preferences, since I find most people don't like food as well cooked as I do.
People can be rather odd about it. My mother in law always out and out stated that her preference is to have her meat "shot twice." Pretty much cooked to death and near utter dryness. Then due to an unfamiliarity with my then girlfriend's (now wife) stove and substandard pan I flubbed my timing and ended up "undercooking" her steak. Using my cast iron pan or BBQ I generally don't have this issue. She whispered very quietly to my wife, "don't tell your father but I loved the steak." To be honest, they are health nuts and will tend to trim any visible fat they can off, so cooking it more is likely to their benefit anyway.

A prime rib has so heavy lines of fat in it, it's probably better to go closer to medium. About 90% of the time ground beef is safe to eat at lower than mid well, but the consequences of that last 1% are unpleasant enough (not necessarily fatal but bloody diarrhea and an IV of antibiotics is not my cuppa tea) that I refuse to risk it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Maze1125 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Saelune said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
jklinders said:

It's an informal poll that will reach less then 200 people, and you're throwing a fit because an exclusion option is going to render the poll useless.

From a statistical perspective, the poll isn't even large enough to get any sort of consensus. It also suffers from being vague (No distinction between cuts of meat), poorly described (The type of meat is no where to be found), and the question is asked in an obviously casual manner that would be unacceptable in a professional poll.

And none of that matters, because its a question asked on a gaming forum at the spur of the moment to inspire a little bit of conversation. You sound like someone demanding we all use cutlery at an informal picnic, scowling every time someone uses their shirt to wipe some BBQ sauce off their face.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
jklinders said:
People can be rather odd about it. My mother in law always out and out stated that her preference is to have her meat "shot twice." Pretty much cooked to death and near utter dryness. Then due to an unfamiliarity with my then girlfriend's (now wife) stove and substandard pan I flubbed my timing and ended up "undercooking" her steak. Using my cast iron pan or BBQ I generally don't have this issue. She whispered very quietly to my wife, "don't tell your father but I loved the steak." To be honest, they are health nuts and will tend to trim any visible fat they can off, so cooking it more is likely to their benefit anyway.

A prime rib has so heavy lines of fat in it, it's probably better to go closer to medium. About 90% of the time ground beef is safe to eat at lower than mid well, but the consequences of that last 1% are unpleasant enough (not necessarily fatal but bloody diarrhea and an IV of antibiotics is not my cuppa tea) that I refuse to risk it.
Ive had less cooked meat and never enjoy it. When I ask for well done, but it is still slightly pink, I can manage, but I do notice it, and tend to add more ketchup or pepper to mask it.

I had a bad experience with steak though, and find myself less willing to give it another try, but I did enjoy ribs. Eventually I may try steak again.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Maze1125 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Saelune said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
jklinders said:

it's equally pointless to weigh in on something that has nothing to do with you. I get what you are saying but

1) It's an informal question asked of a specific demographic that does not include a different demographic.

2) there are no controls whatsoever against tampering

3) the filter you suggest to remove the unwanted demographic is redundant if people are polite enough to abide by point #1

4) Since point #2 is in play, there is nothing ensure that your suggested filter will have any statistical impact. In other words, the nuts and bolts of how statistics work is utterly irrelevant in this scenario.

Thanks for attempting to educate me in what I already understand but as you see I already get it.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Saelune said:
jklinders said:

Ive had less cooked meat and never enjoy it. When I ask for well done, but it is still slightly pink, I can manage, but I do notice it, and tend to add more ketchup or pepper to mask it.

I had a bad experience with steak though, and find myself less willing to give it another try, but I did enjoy ribs. Eventually I may try steak again.
Completely understood as it is a matter of taste nearly as much as food science. Texture is really important to a lot of people and is a key reason for my disdain for tofu. The taste can be made quite nice but it feels so slimy to me that I cannot eat it reliably. Cooking objectively makes food taste better in most cases. Sometimes not so much. My mom refuses to eat rice or pasta due to texture alone.

As a cook I need to modify food for people all the time. Sometimes I throw my hands up in despair as the mods are often...weird. I do it anyway. People's taste in food comes in shapes. I have had to come to terms with that. there is no wrong way when it comes to personal taste, just wrong attitudes in addressing them.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
jklinders said:
Saelune said:
jklinders said:

Completely understood as it is a matter of taste nearly as much as food science. Texture is really important to a lot of people and is a key reason for my disdain for tofu. The taste can be made quite nice but it feels so slimy to me that I cannot eat it reliably. Cooking objectively makes food taste better in most cases. Sometimes not so much. My mom refuses to eat rice or pasta due to texture alone.

As a cook I need to modify food for people all the time. Sometimes I throw my hands up in despair as the mods are often...weird. I do it anyway. People's taste in food comes in shapes. I have had to come to terms with that. there is no wrong way when it comes to personal taste, just wrong attitudes in addressing them.
How it feels in your mouth is just as important as taste, atleast for me. If I have to chew something too long, either cause of how the food is, or cause I took too big a bite, it gets all mushy and I just cant swallow it and usually spit it out. Bacon always tastes good, but how stiff, chewy, or greasy it is is what divides good and bad bacon.

Overall, I like firmness and crunchiness. Obviously not for everything, but basically anything not notably sweet. I'm no great cook or anything, but I'm inclined to learn, mostly cause as a picky eater, making the food gives me more control, and Ive firsthand learned how you prepare the food makes a lot of difference, even from oddly "unimportant" things.

Also its funny how people interperate my order at restaurants. Ive gotten super specific with my order cause of it. I feel jerky when I say it, but I want to enjoy my meal dang it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
A relative of mine likes his "blue". Weirdest restaurant trip ever.

As for myself, medium or medium rare fits the bill.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
I always order medium because it becomes less likely the cook will fuck it up.I like medium rare just fine and i'm ok with medium well so aiming for the middle is best.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Saelune said:
jklinders said:
Saelune said:
jklinders said:

How it feels in your mouth is just as important as taste, atleast for me. If I have to chew something too long, either cause of how the food is, or cause I took too big a bite, it gets all mushy and I just cant swallow it and usually spit it out. Bacon always tastes good, but how stiff, chewy, or greasy it is is what divides good and bad bacon.

Overall, I like firmness and crunchiness. Obviously not for everything, but basically anything not notably sweet. I'm no great cook or anything, but I'm inclined to learn, mostly cause as a picky eater, making the food gives me more control, and Ive firsthand learned how you prepare the food makes a lot of difference, even from oddly "unimportant" things.

Also its funny how people interperate my order at restaurants. Ive gotten super specific with my order cause of it. I feel jerky when I say it, but I want to enjoy my meal dang it.
it's your money and that restaurant, server and cook need to work to keep your patronage. That's the business. I've been doing it for 20 years and am at peace with it. I still roll my eyes when I hear someone say they want a gluten free bun for a gluten allergy but are fine with the flour in their crispy onions. That's my right too.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Maze1125 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Saelune said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
jklinders said:

You know you have this thing called exclusion criteria in statistics. You define which data you do not include in your analysis and exclude all of that. We exclude data from animals we have to kill before the others since the conditions are different, technical errors where we can say for certain that it was in fact a technical error and non-appliccable data that is irrelevant for the analysis in question. That is how science works. Vegetarians can be excluded because they don't want meat. They don't want it prepared in any way so in a topic about meat they should be excluded. You don't use raw data in a publication.

Taking random statistical parameters have resulted in lots of stupid "science" in mass media. A comical example can be seen below.

[

Saelune said:
infohippie said:
For the most part this won't be that much of a problem. Certain dishes have a certain core temperature that is reecommended. For burgers I would say that medium to well done will satisfy most, while other kinds of meat have their own core temperatures that you should try to hit. Steak is complicated because there are lots of preferences. That's why you invite them over for burgers. Burgers are generally good either way.

OT: I'm not a picky eater so I'll eat a lot of different things, but medium is a safe bet for most things. I can go with rare and well done too.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
jklinders said:
it's your money and that restaurant, server and cook need to work to keep your patronage. That's the business. I've been doing it for 20 years and am at peace with it. I still roll my eyes when I hear someone say they want a gluten free bun for a gluten allergy but are fine with the flour in their crispy onions. That's my right too.
Yeah but I acknowledge that the employees are people too. I don't think wanting my food my way makes me bad, but I do think there is a point where its like, too much. I also don't like constantly sending my food back. It really all depends. I once got a cheeseburger when I clearly didn't want cheese, so it was sent back, sure, fine. But when it came back they just (poorly) scraped of the cheese. Hell, most of it was still on the burger. That pissed me off. But, while not a restaurant, my grandfather once made the people at Burger King redo our whole order cause they got 2 burgers wrong. That was embarrassing.

Also people are quick to blame when it might not be clear who was at fault. Did the waiter get the order wrong, or did the cook? And as long as they aren't jerks about it, I'm easy to forgive. Certain family members not so much.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Burgers: medium (undercooked ground beef is sketch
steaks: MR
Pork: medium

I am also a cook. Please don't order above that unless you are elderly or a child =)

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Saelune said:
jklinders said:
Yeah but I acknowledge that the employees are people too. I don't think wanting my food my way makes me bad, but I do think there is a point where its like, too much. I also don't like constantly sending my food back. It really all depends. I once got a cheeseburger when I clearly didn't want cheese, so it was sent back, sure, fine. But when it came back they just (poorly) scraped of the cheese. Hell, most of it was still on the burger. That pissed me off. But, while not a restaurant, my grandfather once made the people at Burger King redo our whole order cause they got 2 burgers wrong. That was embarrassing.

Also people are quick to blame when it might not be clear who was at fault. Did the waiter get the order wrong, or did the cook? And as long as they aren't jerks about it, I'm easy to forgive. Certain family members not so much.
It's nearly 50/50 on service errors vs kitchen errors. A good expo can stop the kitchen from sending it out wrong, but nothing can stop a service error from occurring. Also not all restaurants use expos. A good yardstick on whether you have good service or not is whether the server immediately blames the kitchen. If that happens, they are shit at their job. A good server takes responsibility and charge of the error to their guest and gets it fixed without assigning blame.

No shame is sending food back as long as you are respectful about it. If it's wrong, it's wrong. We are supposed to get it right.