Poll: How do you personally feel about the term cisgender?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Areloch said:
Pluvia said:
Huh I've noticed a trend of people saying they think it's an isult using examples of it being paired with an actual insult, but then saying it's the "cis" part that's insulting. For example, "cis scum".

Pretty sure it's the "scum" part that's the insult there. You can say "trans scum, "black scum", "straight scum". Pretty sure you wouldn't say it's the trans, black or straight part that's the insulting part, so I don't get why cis is viewed differently in this context.
Well, as broached in this thread, how many people do you think know what cis actually means without it being specifically explained to them? I know it took me a while to understand what it was supposed to mean. So if you have someone utilizing a phrase constructed as , is it really that odd that they'd infer that the unknown word is also a negative?

In actuality, of course, cis on it's own isn't insulting, but if you see a word you don't know used in an obviously negative context, your perceptions of the word are likely to associate it to the insult.
Yeah and the underlying problem with this is the reactionaries who use it with an insult, "cis scum" aren't always trans. Sort of the case when I see supposed trans allies who are cisgender using it to insult another cisgender person. As long as the loudest voices are the ones using the word out of context as an insult we're gonna have a problem with perception around the word. Hell I've seen transgender used as a slur, does that mean we need to change that word too?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Areloch said:
Ok.

Taking a step back here. Why do you keep coming back to talking about dropping the usage of the term entirely? I have said nothing about suggesting stopping it's usage. At this point it nearly sounds like we're on two totally different subjects.

You brought up the fact that "most people that dislike the term don't know any trans people", inferring that they wouldn't ever see it used in a context not on the internet. I built upon that by pointing out that social networking sites tend to fester the sort of people that would use it negatively, and if - as brought up just prior - they don't see it anywhere else but online, then the only likely exposure they'll have to the term is negative.
I wouldn't know, I'm not on any social networking sites. I have my phone and google hangouts. I can only speak to where I have the most exposure to it, and that's with my friends. Also 'fester' ... for every example of cis being attached to a pejorative, I'm sure I could find ten times the amount in anti-trans rhetoric. The internet. Never has there been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. But there is nothing wrong with the word, and me pointing out its usefulness in being descriptive still doesn't change.

Areloch said:
"Why should I listen to people in their confirmation bias of a term when I can have my confirmation bias the term is acceptable in this very thread!"

You see trans people in this thread utilizing the term in a non insulting way. And that's fantastic. However, many people online may not be so fortunate. That's my point. That's it.
Then I find it a moot point, you'll forgive me. Because I have never come across it as a pejorative out in the real world. Even online, most times I run across cis tend to be benign.

Areloch said:
Also, you bring up a term like 'abnormal', and point out that clinically, it may be valid to use in context, however due to a negative connotation stigma people would consider it to be rude to be used. However you then point out that cis is also a clinical term, but deny that people may have - after negative exposure online as stated - the same feeling about the usage of 'cis'.

Why is one word's stigma an acceptable stigma to malign it's usage and another word's isn't? Because - not trying to be a dick here, seriously - it sounds like you're OK with the term cis, so any negative usage of it that may taint other people's perspective of the word is irrelevent.
That's not really the point I was making, but rather how it's incorrectly used given the number of people who promote it here as a 'substitute'. Also, the word cis on its own has no pejorative value. The word abnormal does. If I wrote a message 'die heterosexual scum' ... the word 'heterosexual' will not be any less viable a word to use in any sort of discourse, or 'tainted' by its association with a pejorative. Similar with cis. That's the point I was getting at.

It's not 'confirmation bias' to come to this conclusion. If heterosexual, trans, and homosexual do not have any innate malice, then neither would cis. That's not 'confirmation bias' ... that's logic. Cisgender is a really convenient word, pretending like it's tainted because someone had a problem with cisgender people does not make it inherently less useful.

(Edit) I will point out, as I did before. That I have no problem with the word 'abnormal' so long that it is in reference to a disease or problem. I have schizophrenia, that is undesireable. It also leads to abnormal behaviour, irrationality, etc. Me being trans is nothing inherently undesireable. Not without significant prejudice being espoused, that is ... or a severe case of gender dysphoria (if a personal hatred of the body as it is).

A happy, socially active and participatory member of society is not an undesireable person, trans or otherwise. Therefore not abnormal.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Lightknight said:
If it's an insult to most people then it's OK with you but not if it's only against a few?

That's a double standard you're presenting there. Why not just be against offensive terms? Is the goal to offend?
But how the hell is "cisgender" an offensive word? It literally means "not trangender". It isn't like "******" or "******" that have had the kind of historical significance that make people uncomfortable when it's said in public. It isn't even necessarily about the larger group stigmatising the smaller one or vice versa, "cisgender" is a term that has legitimate etymology and is as harmless as calling a straight person a "heterosexual".

If the people that use it are hostile, it's their tone that indicates that hostility, not the word "cisgender". "******" and "******" have instant negative connotations and their whole purpose is to be incendiary. "Cisgender" does not.

I mostly avoid the term just to avoid arguments, though.
In and of itself? No word is itself inherently bad. It'll always come down to perception of society.

Now, as for why Cisgender is considered inflammatory? Perhaps because it's also used as an add-on term for insults regarding privileged people who don't know what they're talking about in discussions about transgendered individuals or any minority discussion. An insult used in conjunction with steamrolling our opinions and thoughts out of discussion.

Who knows, maybe it's just because the term sounds like a cyst or something abnormal. Maybe that's why it lends itself to being used as such. I'm not sure.

In any event, non-transgendered doesn't seem to carry negative usage and wouldn't be easy to use in a derogatory fashion. It conveys the exact same message so why not accept the use of that term instead?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Silvanus said:
Lightknight said:
If it's an insult to most people then it's OK with you but not if it's only against a few?

That's a double standard you're presenting there. Why not just be against offensive terms? Is the goal to offend?
Of course not, that's not my argument. My argument is that "cisgendered" is not primarily an insulting term; nowhere near to the level of those you mentioned.
I'll certainly concede that point. But it is largely perceived as an insult and non-transgendered conveys the same point inoffensively.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Areloch said:
Pluvia said:
Huh I've noticed a trend of people saying they think it's an isult using examples of it being paired with an actual insult, but then saying it's the "cis" part that's insulting. For example, "cis scum".

Pretty sure it's the "scum" part that's the insult there. You can say "trans scum, "black scum", "straight scum". Pretty sure you wouldn't say it's the trans, black or straight part that's the insulting part, so I don't get why cis is viewed differently in this context.
Well, as broached in this thread, how many people do you think know what cis actually means without it being specifically explained to them? I know it took me a while to understand what it was supposed to mean. So if you have someone utilizing a phrase constructed as , is it really that odd that they'd infer that the unknown word is also a negative?

In actuality, of course, cis on it's own isn't insulting, but if you see a word you don't know used in an obviously negative context, your perceptions of the word are likely to associate it to the insult.
Yeah and the underlying problem with this is the reactionaries who use it with an insult, "cis scum" aren't always trans. Sort of the case when I see supposed trans allies who are cisgender using it to insult another cisgender person. As long as the loudest voices are the ones using the word out of context as an insult we're gonna have a problem with perception around the word. Hell I've seen transgender used as a slur, does that mean we need to change that word too?
I...haven't said the word needs to change? Merely pointing out - in context to the topic at hand of people's perception of the usage of cis - that it could gain a negative association via the more surly groups of people that may use it, exactly as you said.

Realistically, all it means is more awareness of the term is required.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Lightknight said:
Silvanus said:
Lightknight said:

Of course not, that's not my argument. My argument is that "cisgendered" is not primarily an insulting term; nowhere near to the level of those you mentioned.
I'll certainly concede that point. But it is largely perceived as an insult and non-transgendered conveys the same point inoffensively.
The problem is that non-transgendered and non-transgender and any permutations there of are kind of othering terms and can be seen as insulting by either side. By that I mean non-transgender can be exclusionary language. Besides that cisgender is easier to say, and type. Plus cisgender is actually better in a comparative context when brought up than any similar terms and words once people know what it means.

Edit:
Areloch said:
Areloch said:
Pluvia said:

I...haven't said the word needs to change? Merely pointing out - in context to the topic at hand of people's perception of the usage of cis - that it could gain a negative association via the more surly groups of people that may use it, exactly as you said.

Realistically, all it means is more awareness of the term is required.
Actually that was exactly the point I was trying to make too, but you made the point better than I did. Basically I want it's vernacular use to be more in line with the actual definition, too bad wanting is rarely having.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Aelinsaar said:
1.) To be blunt, thanks for the etymology of Sane, but it's a pity you didn't check the etymology of Cis and Trans. It's not like this is forced... Trans has been used for trans people for a while now, and the opposite of Trans is Cis.
Trans is a common term used for a variety of every day things like transit. Cis is not. It's an old latin term that only chemistry majors would have used until 2010 when it was applied to cisgender.

2.) Yeah, but we do for this.
Ok? In acknowledging that we don't need a distinct counter term for every condition you are acknowledging that this term is not strictly necessary. That's my entire point. It is viewed as an insult and isn't strictly necessary. The logic in maintaining it is the same logic used in maintaining other slurs that were also medical terms.

3.) For circular reasoning see: Circular reasoning
Repeat: So I should ask, if people do dislike the term and find it offensive, why do you feel the need to defend the term? Would you defend the term transgender if transgendered individuals found it specifically offensive?

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Lightknight said:
Now, as for why Cisgender is considered inflammatory? Perhaps because it's also used as an add-on term for insults regarding privileged people who don't know what they're talking about in discussions about transgendered individuals or any minority discussion. An insult used in conjunction with steamrolling our opinions and thoughts out of discussion.
The same can be said for the word "white" though? SJW types often use "white" as a catch-all term for everything bad about people (I once saw a Tumblr post that blamed homophobia on white people). People regard "white, cisgender, heterosexual, male" as oppressive groups that they can fling their anger towards. Just because they're idiots doesn't mean that the terms "white", "cisgender", "heterosexual" and "male" become invalid.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Aelinsaar said:
Areloch said:
Pluvia said:

Are we really going to define the scope of our vocabulary by the limits of the average vocabulary? I have to tell you, that's going to make talking about anything like games and tech a bit awkward...

...Or are we going to accept that as with every word, this is easily solved by the following exchange.

"Hey, I'm not a girl!"
"No no, not "Sis" as in "sister", Cis" as in "Cis and Trans"."
"Huh"
"Two prefixes in chem and bio meaning "this side" and "that side". Opposite of transgender is cisgender."
"Oh, that seems awkward."
"Yeah, but it works."
"Hey, did you see the game last night?"

What a fucking BURDEN!
Seeing the majority vote in the polls and to take it that on a gamerforum you're probably going to find a more understanding part of society just by the looks of it.....

Do you really think it would be that easy?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The problem is that non-transgendered and non-transgender and any permutations there of are kind of othering terms and can be seen as insulting by either side. By that I mean non-transgender can be exclusionary language.
If you are cisgender then it's because you're not transgender. All labels are axiomatically exclusionary. You are being labeled as "this" because you're not "that". That people are insulted by labels isn't surprising, but they're there for classification. So they need to exist but they don't have to be offensive.

Consider this from my perspective, the words of yours that I'm reading, are words that I'm seeing as justification for the perpetuation of something that is now seen as a slur. I have seen truly offensive people using the same rhetoric to defend the most god-awful slurs mankind has produced. Though, you are absolutely not an offensive person and this word certainly hasn't reached anything close to that level. But it is entirely unnecessary to defend a slur unless the point is that you want the slur to exist. From what I've seen, there is a bit of smug self satisfaction coming out of enforcing the label against non-transgendered people who don't like it. As though enforcing the label is putting actual hateful people in their place whereas it's really just a slur against the benevolent and hateful alike.

Besides that cisgender is easier to say, and type. Plus cisgender is actually better in a comparative context when brought up than any similar terms and words once people know what it means.
"Fag" is easier to say than homosexual and "retard" is easier to say than mentally disabled. So what's your point?

Cis is not a better term because it has a language barrier. You acknowledging that it is not a known word is acknowledging that it does not easily convey the message. "Non" is a universally accepted term and readily understood. That's the entire point of language, to convey a point or message accurately and succinctly.

What's interesting is that people in the Trans community and specifically proponents of studies for the cause agree with me here. They think non-trans is more readily understood:

"Krista Scott-Dixon wrote in 2009: "I prefer the term non-trans to other options such as cissexual/cisgendered."[19] She holds this view because she believes the term "non-trans" is clearer to average people and will help normalize transgender individuals." (Wikipedia on Cisgender)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Lightknight said:
The same can be said for the word "white" though? SJW types often use "white" as a catch-all term for everything bad about people (I once saw a Tumblr post that blamed homophobia on white people). People regard "white, cisgender, heterosexual, male" as oppressive groups that they can fling their anger towards. Just because they're idiots doesn't mean that the terms "white", "cisgender", "heterosexual" and "male" become invalid.
And yet white isn't perceived as an insult, but cis is.

I'm not saying that I know the logic of it, but it's that word that has been latched onto as a slur. Perhaps because all the other terms have a long history of being useful whereas cis was first combined with gender when? Pretty recently from what I've read. Before like 2006 Cis was almost exclusively used in chemistry for entirely unrelated things. So it had no prior experience to this and is largely unknown. So when people first encounter it, it's entirely possible that they encounter it as a slur the first time. That's how I first saw it and perhaps that's formative in my opinion of it. Probably, anyways.

But professionals in the field do prefer the term non-trans for the same reason I've listed.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Lightknight said:
The problem is that non-transgendered and non-transgender and any permutations there of are kind of othering terms and can be seen as insulting by either side. By that I mean non-transgender can be exclusionary language.
If you are cisgender then it's because you're not transgender. All labels are axiomatically exclusionary. You are being labeled as "this" because you're not "that". That people are insulted by labels isn't surprising, but they're there for classification. So they need to exist but they don't have to be offensive.

Consider this from my perspective, the words of yours that I'm reading, are words that I'm seeing as justification for the perpetuation of something that is now seen as a slur. I have seen truly offensive people using the same rhetoric to defend the most god-awful slurs mankind has produced. Though, you are absolutely not an offensive person and this word certainly hasn't reached anything close to that level. But it is entirely unnecessary to defend a slur unless the point is that you want the slur to exist. From what I've seen, there is a bit of smug self satisfaction coming out of enforcing the label against non-transgendered people who don't like it. As though enforcing the label is putting actual hateful people in their place whereas it's really just a slur against the benevolent and hateful alike.

Besides that cisgender is easier to say, and type. Plus cisgender is actually better in a comparative context when brought up than any similar terms and words once people know what it means.
"Fag" is easier to say than homosexual and "retard" is easier to say than mentally disabled. So what's your point?

Cis is not a better term because it has a language barrier. You acknowledging that it is not a known word is acknowledging that it does not easily convey the message. "Non" is a universally accepted term and readily understood. That's the entire point of language, to convey a point or message accurately and succinctly.

What's interesting is that people in the Trans community and specifically proponents of studies for the cause agree with me here. They think non-trans is more readily understood:

"Krista Scott-Dixon wrote in 2009: "I prefer the term non-trans to other options such as cissexual/cisgendered."[19] She holds this view because she believes the term "non-trans" is clearer to average people and will help normalize transgender individuals." (Wikipedia on Cisgender)
You do make some good points, but I still don't buy that cisgender is a slur, not yet at least. Remember that as an insulting term cis and cisgender are never used by themselves, they're used in terms with a word designed to cause insult and offense. Like say "scum" "asshole" and such. Also ******, fag, and retard were never not offensive slurs to start with. Cisgender on the other hand is being branded as a slur because of improper usage, there's a difference there. Non-trans works in a general sense but as a categorical cisgender can often work better.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Also ******, fag, and retard were never not offensive slurs to start with. Cisgender on the other hand is being branded as a slur because of improper usage, there's a difference there. Non-trans works in a general sense but as a categorical cisgender can often work better.
Er..."retard" is actually derived from retardation, a term used to describe things that were delayed in development, slowed or impeded. "Excess amounts of caffeine can retard physical growth". "That material is fire retardant, it will slow the spread of the fire". "A few problems have retarded the progress of this program" This usage dates back to the 17th century, and its psychological use directly derives from that in the sense of a person's mental capacities having been retarded. The full expression is in fact "mental retardation" (the usage of which dates back to the 19th century), an impairment in the subject's mental functions. Retard as a pejorative is the weaponization of the term to imply cognitive impairment in an otherwise high functioning individual and subsequently became near synonymous with 'stupid'. It's a benign term that became a slur through improper use.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Asita said:
Also ******, fag, and retard were never not offensive slurs to start with. Cisgender on the other hand is being branded as a slur because of improper usage, there's a difference there. Non-trans works in a general sense but as a categorical cisgender can often work better.
Er..."retard" is actually derived from retardation, a term used to describe things that were delayed in development, slowed or impeded. "Excess amounts of caffeine can retard physical growth". "That material is fire retardant, it will slow the spread of the fire". "A few problems have retarded the progress of this program" This usage dates back to the 17th century, and its psychological use directly derives from that in the sense of a person's mental capacities having been retarded. The full expression is in fact "mental retardation" (the usage of which dates back to the 19th century), an impairment in the subject's mental functions. Retard as a pejorative is the weaponization of the term to imply cognitive impairment in an otherwise high functioning individual and subsequently became near synonymous with 'stupid'. It's a benign term that became a slur through improper use.
Fair point actually, it's like how gay has become a bad word for basically anything and everything anymore. Which is weird because before gay meant homosexual it actually meant happy. More I guess of the quest of; "good lord what is wrong with people?"

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I don't really care for it.
If it weren't for the internet I would have never come across it, therefore, I must come to the inevitable conclusion that it's not vital to everyday language outside internet (at least for me)

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Asita said:
Fair point actually, it's like how gay has become a bad word for basically anything and everything anymore. Which is weird because before gay meant homosexual it actually meant happy. More I guess of the quest of; "good lord what is wrong with people?"
It boils down to "language evolves", whether we like it or not. And similarly to "retard", ****** and fag also were not initially slurs, but transformed into it over time. Besides, literally any word in the language can be weaponized as an insult in some capacity. How widespread it's usage or perception of usage is dictates if it's meaning changes.

Before the internet, a word would have to be actually used in such a fashion for it's meaning to change in common lexicon. With the power of the internet and inter-cultural communication, however, now only the perception of a term being widely negative is enough to manipulate common lexicon. Case in point, 'fag' doesn't have the same meaning in the UK as it does in the US, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of people people visiting from the UK are at least passingly aware they shouldn't use the term while in the US because it has a negative perception there.

This is both a good and bad thing. It's good because it's possible to permute or invent words to better define ideals, but it's bad in that perfectly fine words can become tainted by perceptions, real or imagined. Acting as if "cisgender" is somehow immune to this is asking for friction.