Poll: How do you prefer your multiplayer?

Brutalis317

Aug 12, 2010
Multiplayer changed considerably both for better and worse when online gaming became big (obviously). My question to everybody is which multiplayer do you normally go with?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Local

It gave me and my fellow gamers more of a reason to go to each other's houses and actually hang out. I mean, it's nice when we can't go anywhere and can still play online, but it's always fun to flaunt your victory right in your buddy's face after owning the shit out of him.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Local since it has fallen on hard times, as the majority of games seem to have shot local multiplayer in the face and have run away together with online multiplayer instead. Whatever happened to gaming polygamy guys?

[sub]Ugh that metaphor was fucking terrible[/sub]

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Screw multiplayer. Almost always the singleplayer suffers for it... I would rather have a separate singleplayer and multiplayer game, that way the singleplayer game would be complete and not get bothered by the multiplayer crap, and at the same time it'd streamline the game for those people who do want to play together.

I do like coop though, and there local definitely wins. Nothing like sitting in the same room when cooperating, online can't compare.

Gabriel Dragulia

Jun 1, 2011
As long as it's fun, and not too serious... I don't care how the multiplayer's played. I just want to have fun, that's what games are about... when people get too serious, I stop caring about the multiplayer anyway.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
I chose Online here, but I forgot about LAN gaming. Sure, splitscreen or turn-based multiplayer is fun too with family and friends, but that's still not a satisfying experience. Usually it's the company that makes it fun.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
For competitive play: Online

For super competitive play: LAN

For Coop or just messing around: Local

I've always preferred my multiplayer Co-operative since then I can play with my little brother without beating the pants off him (although as he's become a teenager, he's gotten a little too good at video games for me, I feel so old)

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Local multiplayer is rubbish, sports and fighting games excluded. I like someone above find split screen awful. Even in an era of 32"+ tvs, I just can't get used to the tiny screen you have.

Maiestas777

Feb 14, 2010
I like both. I love my online for when I have little to no friends to play with, but there are some games where the couch match experience cannot be beat.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Local is infinitely more fun than online for me, but online is more convenient. I plan on LAN with a couple of friends approximately once per year, because that's how often we can coordinate our schedules. Online I don't really care that much if I shoot a random anonymous guy, but if I'm working together with half of my friends, and hear the frustration of a friend on another team from across the room, that is so much more satisfying.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I prefer it unintrusive and out of the way, but still close enough within reach It is accessible whenever it is desired.

Mar 30, 2010
For having a laugh with my mates in town? Local.

For having a laugh with my mates who've moved away? Online.

Both have their merits.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
I prefer my multiplayer the same way I prefer my women.

Up to 3 slots for full co-op action.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Local. I love LAN parties and I enjoy a little old-fashioned competitive multiplayer on consoles.
Online is very hit-or-miss... mostly miss in my experience. Once every third blue moon or so you might find a decent group of folks in online multiplayer, but more often than not there's nothing to be had but griefers and idiots.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
I don't do multiplayer, apart from a little Minecraft now and then. I don't have real-life gamer friends to play with, the husband plays puzzle games and classic arcade games almost exclusively and there are too many prats on the internet. If I ever took up MMOs I might as well just give up on having a life. So, no multiplayer for me.