Poll: How do you say someone is not Alive?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
How do you describe someone that isnt alive anymore?

The question came up, because in less than a month, the fifth anniversary of the day my first girlfriend passed away. So a few of my friends and I were talking about it (mainly cause they noticed I get a lot more Morose and Aggressive). Then they noticed that I never said she "died", and asked why. I thought about it, and I didnt really have a reason other then it was harder to deal with if I thought she "died". (EDIT) Though I can say she passed away, just cant say she "died".

However, if they ask me about one of my great uncles (who was killed in WW2 by a Japanese Navy round), I say he died, because it was sudden and violent (my grandfather always likes to say his brothe's remains couldnt have fed a guppy when the aftermath was over. yes, we're weird about how we handle grief in my family).

So the question is to you Escapists, how do say someone is not alive? And does it change depending who you are talking to/about?

EDIT: Well, first I should say thanks for those that said they were sorry to hear about my first GF, its appreciated.

Secondly, I fully realized she is dead. I should have been more straight forward. If its something sensitive, or if its a peaceful sorta death (like, dying of old age, or of illness in a weakened immune system) I say passed away, because they just sorta do. If its sudden, or graphic, or not really natural, then I'll say they died.

EDIT2: also, I shouldnt say Aggressive, cause thats a bad word for it. But I get alot more testy and easily aggrivated, cause its just a bad time. Not over small little issues, but just in arguments and things that get too heated that are something I can either take to heart or have a large interest in.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I usually just say they died. I don't put much of a stigma on words.

Most of my family either say somebody is gone or they passed.

Tibs

Mar 23, 2011
I find I say people who are most important to me in RL or characters in a video game simply died. However, if it was someone close to me I often say the passed away depending on how they died.

Died in their sleep: Passed away

Bullet to the brain: Died

TheDist

Mar 29, 2010
I worked as a funeral director for a time, it has been burnt into my mind to say "the deceased."

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Well I'll always talk about people dying and anyone who I don't know in anyway way is dead then they died.. If that makes any sense..

Even if I'm with a grieving person I'll still say 'they died' but I will at least attempt to phrase it in a nice manner and avoid saying anything at all if I can and talk about nice things..

Archeopterix

Jun 28, 2004
emeraldrafael said:
How do you describe someone that isnt alive anymore?

The question came up, because in less than a month, the fifth anniversary of the day my first girlfriend passed away. So a few of my friends and I were talking about it (mainly cause they noticed I get a lot more Morose and Aggressive. Then they noticed that I never said she "died", and asked why. I thought about it, and I didnt really have a reason other then it was harder to deal with if I thought she "died".

However, if they ask me about one of my great uncles (who was killed in WW2 by a Japanese Navy round), I say he died, because it was sudden and violent (my grandfather always likes to say his brothe's remains couldnt have fed a guppy when the aftermath was over. yes, we're weird about how we handle grief in my family).

So the question is to you Escapists, how do say someone is not alive? And does it change depending who you are talking to/about?
Not being able to say it indicates you haven't dealt with the death yet. I'd sugesst therapy. My fiance died, he died, he died. See?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Archeopterix said:
emeraldrafael said:
Not being able to say it indicates you haven't dealt with the death yet. I'd sugesst therapy. My fiance died, he died, he died. See?
No thank you, I've been to three, I dont need to go another. Besides I dont have to anymore, I got a pass.

As for not being able to admit it, I can admit it. I can say she Passed away, but I have trouble saying she died. Thats why I asked how other people say it. though I probably could have made that more clear.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Once I went to the vet and the lady behind the counter asked if I still had my cat Popoki. I said "No, he died." She said "Oh, he passed away?" I kind of paused and said "Yes. He died." She said "He passed away."

So that was weird.

Yes, I say "dead."

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
It all depends on the context. The more recent or immediate emotional connection I have to a person who has died the more likely I am to use gentler language like passed away. For someone who I don't feel any connection to it's almost always "he/she died."

Dead/Death/Die are all very stark words that bring the abstract concept of mortality to a very blunt impact that's hard to handle when you're in a more sensitive state.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
Trying to be new, inventive and avoiding as possible I made-up my term for a person who is no longer among the living. I say he went "permanently offline" and I imagine a gray icon in all the Instant Messengers that I use, like skype, icq and msn. It's really sad and a lot of escapism in it, but that's how I deal with it. Just imagine that gray icon will never go green again.

Vanalosswen

Feb 5, 2011
I work in a hospital, and we're trained to say someone "passed". So that's been embeded into my mind. Besides, I like how it sounds. A little less abrupt.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
"'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!"
Seriously, nobody quoted this before now? I'm disappointed in you all...

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Passed away, it helps me deal with it.
And I'm really sorry to hear that OP, I know that if anything happened to my gf I would lose it, completely :(