Poll: How do you say twat?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'll say it both ways. But mostly it rhymes with 'hat'. Other times, it rhymes with 'what' instead, and saying "twhat" to someone as if it were a question is a great tiny way to insult someone without them noticing.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
Jedamethis said:
ravensheart18 said:
SckizoBoy said:
DJDarque said:
Rhymes with hot. That's how I say it.
See, if you were anyone else, I'd wonder if that was trolling... but then I read other posts and think 'huh?!'

OT: Last two letters are 'a' & 't'. How do I pronounce 'at'? Sure as hell not 'ot', so yeah, rhymes with 'hat'.
How do you pronounce knife? nife or knife?
neighbour is of course pronounced neghbor right?

Words with foreign language etemology don't always follow standard english rules.
Foreign language etymology? When the hell was twat not an English word? 0.o

Really, I don't know why you'd be able to get it mixed up. Swat is pronounced that way because it is onomatopoeic.
From the old Norse thveit - which means cut or slit or field. Developed into old english as thwaite, use as a forest clearing.
Well, fair enough.
But a forest clearing? I thought we were talking about either a vagina or a dickhead...

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
I go with the tried and tested hat version, though I did once have a friend (honest, I did!) who would pronounce it twot, despite better efforts to re-educate/smother him with the nearest object. He was a twat.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I suppose both are correct, but I've never heard it pronounced other that "twAt."

Sargonza

Oct 12, 2010
The only way I've ever heard it pronounced in England is to rhyme with "hat". The closest alternative to rhyming with "hot" I've heard is "twonk", but I think that's something else

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
"Too-at"

Why would you say "Too-ot" lol that's silly. You silly english speaking people with your different pronunciation words, how silly.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
What? Saying Twat the way youd say what? As in, "ot"?

Thats hilarious! If someone called me a twot I'd laugh in their face.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
I say it two different ways, depending on context.

Short-a sound, rhymes with hat: way to say hitting (to twat with sticks), or as a mild pejorative (don't be a twat).

Long-a sound, rhymes with hot: slang for ladybits (example obvious), or as a more harshly delivered invective (you are being a fucking twat).

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Being from Yorkshire (the birth place of all good swear and curse words) it's Twaaaatt!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Wow. Some people who are apparently hardcore about pronouncing it like "hat" are being total twats (and I said it so it rhymes with swat).

And I will use karate to swat any twat who says the word can never rhyme with what.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
I've always said it 'twat', though I've heard a few people using 'twot' before (it confused me immensly the first time).

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Via wikipedia:

Robert Browning famously misused the term in his 1841 poem "Pippa Passes", believing it to be an item of nun's clothing:[2]

Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry

Its meaning was in reality the same then as now, Browning's misconception probably having arisen from a line in a 1660 satirical poem, Vanity of Vanities:

They talk't of his having a Cardinalls Hat
They'd send him as soon an Old Nuns Twat
Twats ryhmes with bats. Case closed!

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
"Twot"? People actually say it like that?

I can't really even imagine that as part of a sentence.