Poll: How Do you Take your DLC?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I suppose that puts me under "Keep It" because I want the content to be in the fucking game, unless it's practically a new game...in which case, it's a new game.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Do I have to pick only one? Because it VERY much depends on the game, context, and my involvement in the game.

Single-player, narrative-driven game? Probably 'stack it'. I'd rather a meaty 'expansion pack' type of DLC that adds a big chunk of story and gameplay. Whether I think it should be free or paid depends on the content of the 'expansion'.

That said, I'm not beyond a small trickle of extra content being added to my single-player games. As long as I'm not having to buy it every time, I don't see the issue.

Multi-player game? Pad it. I usually point to Dota 2 as my example. I like my core game to be hefty, with it receiving constant content updates over time to extend its life and switch up the meta. And I prefer gameplay content to be free with MT content being primarily cosmetic. (with a few exceptions)

Generally speaking I am NOT a fan of Season Passes, on principle and from experience. I don't like throwing down a fixed (and often hefty) chunk of change for the promise of 'forthcoming content that's totally going to be worth it once we figure out what it is'. Fuck that.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
JUMBO PALACE said:
If anything, stack it. Most of the time I ignore DLC unless it's for a game I really really enjoyed and just have to have some more time with. The Expansion pack model if you will.

Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 1 are really the only DLC content I remember buying without going significantly far back in my memory.
Both had good DLC. I will say that Dark Souls 2, despite being my least favorite game in the series for numerous reasons, did have some fairly well done DLC and I'm told SOTFS(I didn't play the game until last year) was quite an improvement over the base game(and helps somewhat make up for the mess DS2 kind of is regardless).

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Do I have to pick only one? Because it VERY much depends on the game, context, and my involvement in the game.
Agreed entirely. There are lots of games and lots of ways to approach extra content, and they all tend to have their time and place, and it also heavily depends on involvement with the game, aka 'how much shit will I let this company get away with'.

I ideally prefer to wait for GotY editions, but with Bethesda and BioWare I pretty much just give them whatever they want whenever they want... Well, apart from pre-order bonuses which I always regret not getting, annoyingly enough.

A game like Elite Dangerous is obviously an entirely different beast befitting an entirely different model - a drip feed of seasons and cosmetic micros, which I'd normally run a mile from but for it I'm happy to keep paying because there's nothing else like it.

So whilst I picked 'stacked', there needed to be a fourth option: it depends.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Keep stacking, keep padding, keep whacking............Keep stacking, keep padding, keep whacking............stacked, packed, chopping that mete...........