Poll: How Good Is Fable II?

aaronx83

Dec 18, 2009
I Want To Get A Good RPG For My Xbox 360 and I Have Seen That Fable II Has Got Great Reviews And You Can Choose To Be Good Or Bad
I Love This Kind Of Game Where You Can Choose
But If Anyone Feels Any Other RPG Or JRPG Is Cool Please Tell Me
Oh, I Already Have Mass Effect 1 and 2

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Fix the capitalisation please. Anyway, fable 2 is great fun untill about halfway, or maybe 3/4 of the way through, then it gets very dissappointing very quickly. Not one to look out for.

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
Eh, it's mediocre, in my opinion. It's not a bad game at all, I just found it to get rather dull after a short while.
I would recommend Dragon Age: Origins, or an older BioWare or Black Isle title if you can find them.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Its good game but in the end it will left you with empty feeling of unfullfilled epicnes so its BAD for me

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I wouldn't say it was better than the first one, but it was ok. Just don't expect it ti light the world on fire, but I thought it was ok to pass away a boring weekend, even a few hours or so

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
It's really really good if you like that type of game. If not, then why bother asking, so I think you'll really like it

Howlingwolf214

Dec 28, 2008
You Don't Need To Capitalize Each Word.

OT: Fable II in my opinion was nowhere near as good as Fable 1. So I'd download that off of Xbox Live Arcade.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Worst game ever.

Fable 2 was bad. Not just a poor game, but a shoddy piece of glitchy crap. However, even if all the glitches were removed entirely this game would still be a piece of crap. The entire design of it and ideas behind it are utterly asinine. Let's start with those interpersonal relationships that Peter M made such a big deal of...

Hero: "Hey honey, I need to go off and save the world!"

Wife: "That's fine dear, but if you don't come back half-way through that and fart in my face for 10 minutes I will divorce you."

Hero (who is now king): "I am king, can I have my kid back now please?"

Child protective services: "Sorry king, your wife left you because you didn't slap her face enough so you can't ever see her again."

Evil Hero (who has just butchered half of the town): Raaar raarr *walks around menacingly with massive hammer and blunderbuss on back*

Random man with pointy hat thinks: "I have a great idea! I shall now walk up behind that gentlemans dog and kick it up the arse!"

Hero: *Tries to hit kid with sword*

Kid: "Haha! I am immune to swords!"

Now onto making money. In Fable 2 you can't make money by looting the corpses of your enemies and selling their loot. You can't really make money by taking on missions slaying beasts as you make a paltry amount for those kinds of quests. What you can do is go blacksmithing. This is accomplished by hitting the 'A' button in time to a moving slider over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Basically, the same principle as pong without any actual fun involved. The other way is to buy up property and charge people rent. Now I don't know what kind of game they thought they were making, but if I made an RPG called "Fable" it would be a bit more heroic than this.

The RPG elements were a complete shambles. In Fable 1 I could really pick, magic, stealth, or melee. Whichever I picked I could go down that route in the game and be happy with it, not really needing to branch out into the other disciplines, thus making it a true RPG in that sense. In Fable 2 you cannot do such a thing.

Concentrate on Melee? Then you get enemies you can't fight - trolls, 3 of which are essential for the story part of the game. And the final shard. Impossible to beat with a melee weapon as it hovers out over the sea. You don't get to shoot the gargoyles, which means that entire area of loot is closed off for no better reason than your character somehow can't shoot at what he can see.

Concentrate on magic? Oh well you can't beat trolls either then. As it takes so long to build up a spell capable of even harming a troll, and they throw stuff and knock you over if you try that. Ohh and forget about even building up enough power to hurt beetles, as they jump on your head and distrupt your magic... come to think of it beetles in this game are harder than bandits. Or spire guards. Or shadows. Or balverines... I suppose the creature designers had a falling out with the combat designers and they weren't talking to each other during development.

You can get away with concentrating purely on ranged combat, unless you are of a high level when you get to the spire and get given an arbitrary pop gun with which to beat the commandant and 299 spire guards in such a wonderfully awful part of the game were I found myself wondering why the hell I bothered building up to such a high level when all that was going to happen was it was all going to be taken away again.

And what happened to armor in this game? Fable 1 had armor. What reason is there for an RPG... or any game where swinging swords is part and parcel of the gameplay, to not have different armor? What we have instead is clothes. None of which make any difference other than making NPCs offer a few different lines occassionally.

The entire point of an RPG is building a unique character. So in terms of RPG this game is less than its predecessor Fable 1. In fact it's less than something like Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 where you can at least pick a kit which will enhance your speed, or weapons for ranged or close in fighting.

The story... oh my god the story... Fable 2 has the worst story of any RPG in the history of gaming. And I include games such as Gauntlet and Heroquest on the Spectrum. The story, for those who want it spoiled, is this...

As a kid, you buy a magic box, which you use and it vanishes.

You are then taken to a castle, where the owner shoots your sister, then you in the face, and you get carted off by totally not weird looking lady. Then you are all grown up, with a dog who now must be 16 but somehow is not dead. You go into the heros guild and find out that the guy who shot you is a very naughty man! To stop him you have to find 3 other heros.

So off you go. You find the place where hero 1 is, but get find you can't see her, can't even speak and point out that the end of the world is nigh, without being more famous. So you do some arbitrary fetch/carry missions, or some "kill certain number of baddies or boss baddy missions", and then become famous. See hero, do a hero mission, get hero on your side.

Now for the second hero it is more or less the same thing. You need to see this hero, and you can't until you are famous enough and have done a little mission straight afterwards. Sure you get to go to the spire and meet some nasties there, but nothing important happens there except you get the second hero.

Third hero stretches this "fame" mechanic in a different tangent. You don't need fame to see the third hero, he just tells you to piss off out of his mansion until you are famous enough.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but tell me all that above isn't just the same quest repeated three times?

Anyway, you get all three heros. Then fight a giant shard in what is a genuinely fun part of the game if you have levelled up ranged combat.

Straight afterwards, the game pulls the biggest dick move in the entire history of gaming. Straight after that shard, the game is over. It's kaput, finished. But it will continue making you play what is nothing more than mindless drivel until it 'officially' ends. I am going to be brief about what happens, but this tangent goes on for over half an hour.

You go back too hero hill with all three heros. They make a nice and pretty lightshow. Then the big baddy comes, knocks you out, kills the dog, and then does something to you. You wake up a child again, and get to play a minigame of kicking chickens, shooting bottles, or shooting beetles. (Those beetles are in fact the last enemies you will face in the game, so make the most of them.) Then you wake up in the night because there is some music. You follow it, you find the music box that vanished at the start. You pick it up and somehow end up back in the spire.

Then you see the baddy, and literlly just hold the 'A' button until it's over. No, this is not a euphemism for "did some magic" or "did some attacks" with the 'A' button. I mean you press and hold the 'A' button, and that's it. That's how you defeat the guy who killed your sister, who threatened the world, who shot your dog, who is the main focus of evil in the game. "Hold A".

That is lame. Very very very lame. Particularly that kind of ending. I fondly recall pitched battles around the focus sites in Fable 1, along with a vicious show-down with Jack-of-Blades. What happened to Lionhead in that time?

And all of the above is not including the worst part of this game - it is broken. Completely bugged to death, unplayable for a lot of people. Go look at their own forums, the Xbox forums, or even the gaming media.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170894

Imagine some of these gameplay choices applied to other games. Imagine playing Fallout 3, getting to Rivet City, and then being told you have to fart in the face of Dr Li for 30 seconds. Or imagine playing Mass Effect, becoming a Spectre, and instead of going off to find Saren you are told to head down to the maintenance department to press the 'A' button over and over in time to a turning spanner. Peter Molyneux quite simply sucks at making games.

Matt-Allan-ca

Nov 13, 2009
I'd have to say it was quite a poor effort coming from fable 1 to 2 but if you never played the first game you should like it, it lacked a real final boss fight (and at the risk of spoiling) unless you count pressing y as a final boss fight. it had some mind-fuck moments, like chesty lol.

if you want rpg:
oblivion
two worlds
master of might and magic
(all practically the same game)
or dragon age origins

and dantes inferno has a good/bad thing going on I hear.