Poll: How honest do you think others on The Escapist really are?

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
A nice, interesting (thought) experiment.

Whenever we have a topic that deals with how you would respond, act, think of, judge, do X; most people tend to go for the honourable or morally 'good' option. It's not hard to find an example of this. Just look at any topic dealing with moral or social issues. You'd almost think The Escapist is populated with moral paragons of virtue. Do you think these people are telling the truth, or are they lying? Since this is the internet, there is no reason to be honest. Then again, why would they pretend to be righteous, relativist asexuals with a passion for a healthy lifestyle?

However, this also works the other way around. Those people who embrace drugs, casual sex and moral ambiguity? They have no reason to lie, nor any reason to speak the truth on the internet.

So, what do you do? Do you assume that people on The Escapist tell the truth? Or do you consider your fellow Escapees to be little more than (somewhat) sentient pixels? Or did the thought never occur to you?

In any case, when reading the posts of others, do you think most of them are honest?

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Good idea. I reckon people are prone to exagerration, but mainly use the anonymity of the internet to be honest more than lie. An oppurtunity to spill guts is never missed, your own or someone elses

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
I think that a lot of the people act more morally objectionable than they really are to be edgy and cool, but on the whole, I imagine people take anonymity here better than they would on places like 4chan.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
On here, I would be inclined to saw fairly honest. No real reason to lie in my eyes.

Fridge

Jun 25, 2009
I think that most are honest but might exaggeration things a wee bit some will possibly give a response to seem witty or get a laugh but generally they'll be honest.

But I'm judging them as if they think and act as I do, so it could be I'm totally wrong.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
It's human nature to exaggurate (even if I can't spell it today) So i'm going to go with the ex.....I'm going to go with that option.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I reckon while a lot of people exaggerate I'm willing to bet 110% of what you see on the Escapist is true.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Mix of options two and three. I think on the whole the truth is a trajectory for bullshit especially on the internet. Obviously this is only specualtion and I guess whatever the truth the escapist is a healthy mix of the good the bad and the pricks much like everything else.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
People may exaggerate a little round these parts, but they're good, honest people none the less.

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
very limited in options here.

I think anonymity breeds honesty on forums such as these. There are no rewards for self-aggrandizing; hell the community would probably eat you alive for it.

Of course, there is some exaggeration, often to support one's point.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I really don't know how honest whether in terms of admitting to good/bad are. Really never crossed my mind when reading other posts. Though the one thing I notice that is (to me at least) obscenely apart is how many people comment on news/controversial topics without really reading into the article/problem and just post gut reactions that seem to be based on the headline alone. This really gets frustrating to me, and I end getting disgusted by the majority of people on the escapist.
But back to the original post, I don't think the average escapist is no more honest/false than any one else on the internet.

Aux

Jul 2, 2009
I am sure most people put on some sort of act. I have seen it on every forum I have ever posted at.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
They're lying. They're ALL lying. Every single person on the Escapist is a bold-faced liar.

...especially me. Hee hee!

*Grin*

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Here?

The people on this site are, from what I've seen, no worse than anyone you'd meet out in public.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
i was torn between chooseing 3 or 4

ya but hoenstly i would guess their are a few people on here that just make shit up, i dont understand it myself but whatever, but i would think that most tend to be fairly honest

anyway i have to go i am going to go play poker with elvis george julius and martin

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
I think people tend to exaggerate here a lot since there is next to nobody who would be able to substantiate their claims. Because of this people can make small lies or even in fact craft entire worlds around them. It's interesting, really.

I however on the other hand have a 100% honesty policy? Why? because nobody here lives where I do so there is close to nill possibility of anything I say here coming back to hit me in real life.