Poll: How it should of ended Gurren Laggan & Anime vs Video games

Kevon Huggins

Jan 27, 2011
Just finished the anime, still crying at Nia's death, it should of been prevented , so i was wondering would you of saved nia if you where the screen writer

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Wait, I'm a little confused here, is this thread about whether I prefer anime or video games or is this a "How it should have ended" thread about solely Gurren Lagann, or anime in general...? Or video games?

Err, I'll just try something.

I enjoy anime and video games equally; they are my two greatest hobbies and I think comparing them is kind of baloney.

I'm always prefer a happy ending to a downer, so, yeah. Still thought Gurren Lagann kicked ass though.

If there was an anime I could change the ending of, I guess it would be Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini. Because that ending was vague Wish BONES gave us some closure on that one.

If I could chamge the ending to a vodeo game, it would be BioShock 2. Instead of letting Lamb drown, I wanted to drill her face in myself. *****.

Hope any of the above answers your question.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
As much as I loved Gurren Lagann I found Nia's death to be pretty disappointing. Throughout the entire show they ignored all the odds and accomplished things that should have been impossible but when Nia's death came around Simon just accepted it. I would have expected to see Simon punch a hole in the space time continuum and have a fight with the fabric of the universe to save her, instead he does nothing.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Dead Space 1 really should have ended with a scene like the end of Event Horizon, where another crew find a crazy, hallucinating Isaac. It would have set up the second game much, much more effectively, while still providing better closure if they had chosen to forgo a part 2.

Bioshock should have ended with the destruction of Rapture. The second game was fine.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
Dead Space 1 really should have ended with a scene like the end of Event Horizon, where another crew find a crazy, hallucinating Isaac. It would have set up the second game much, much more effectively, while still providing better closure if they had chosen to forgo a part 2.

Bioshock should have ended with the destruction of Rapture. The second game was fine.
ץ
He's living his normal live around dead xenomorphs and his dead unchanged wife.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Kevon Huggins said:
Just finished the anime, still crying at Nia's death, it should of been prevented , so i was wondering would you of saved nia if you where the screen writer
Dude! Spoiler tags!
Use
and then finish with a [/*Spoiler] (without the asterisk). Some people may get annoyed at that (fortunately, not me. I've watched the show before)

EDIT: Also, I know this is completely off-topic but....1000th post!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I would probably not have put such an overemphasized meaning on to everything and just kept it tongue in cheek.

I love Neon Genesis Evangelion, but Gainax needs to stop giving every new show they make the same sort of heavy symbolism and dramatic climax. It's getting a bit fucking annoying.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
should HAVE, would HAVE, could HAVE.

Ugh.

Also, neither. A game is active entertainment, an anime is passive entertainment. It's less of a preference for one over the other than a preference for active vs. passive entertainment.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
evilneko said:
should HAVE, would HAVE, could HAVE.
This. Please learn it. It's not difficult.

On topic: No, I wouldn't do anything to change the story, I think it's great as it is.
If I had written it all, I might not have
killed Kamina or Nia
but as it is now, it adds to the story rather than taking something away from it.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I actually really liked the end. The whole point of the series was to break out of the past, even if you have to do the impossible to succeed. Nia was gone and to bring her back would change the point of the present to maintaining the status quo, which goes against everything Gurren Laggan stands for. You have to keep moving forward, lest you become the tyrants that the Kamina and Simon of the next generation must fight against. [http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26964.html]

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I would probably not have put such an overemphasized meaning on to everything and just kept it tongue in cheek.

I love Neon Genesis Evangelion, but Gainax needs to stop giving every new show they make the same sort of heavy symbolism and dramatic climax. It's getting a bit fucking annoying.
You liked NGE but say not to go on about symbolism?

What? Did you fall into a coma during the last few episodes? They couldn't have been more symbolistic if you... Uh did something about symbols or something? Yes i know they remade it in a film version but can't be bothered to go through it again just to find out if they changed the ending.

Anyway i'm curious what did you think about Panty and Stocking? (assuming you watched it)

OT: Speaking of PSG... No, actually I wouldn't change the ending simply because i loved the trolltasticness of it.

Endings, endings, endings, how about we change Gears 3's ending into something less cliche?

No no Condemned 2's ending needs to get euthanised and all the writers need to sit down, slap themselves in the face and pull it together man!

How about we keep the melee focus and not go gun crazy after the halfway mark? Yeah and the whole evil cult business? I want you to take that entire concept, lock it deep within your heart and never speak of it again! 'K darlin'?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
So confused at this thread.. plus so many things spoiled. Oh well... thats what i get for being curious about a thread title i dont understand

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Gurren Lagann definitely wouldn't have worked as well if Nia survived. They already injected a lot of light-heartedness into it compared to the Ken Ishikawa manga they were paying homage to the whole way through.

If you want to save her, your only chance will be to wait for Super Robot Wars Z2.2 and hope they give you the option as a secret or something.

El Presidente

Dec 26, 2011
1) Have, not of.
2) Spoiler tags, man.
3) ...What? I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Is it meant to be two unrelated topics merged into one thread?

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
It wouldn't have worked if Nia survived, The second you start trying to fix past mistakes instead of moving forward and letting what's done be done you defeat the point of the show. That's why Kamina doesn't come back and they say goodbye for good in the mlti dimensional labyrinth. Also the show as a whole could be considered a flop because gainax set out to make a mecha parody and ended up making the greatest legitimate mecha show of all.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Casual Shinji said:

You liked NGE but say not to go on about symbolism?

What? Did you fall into a coma during the last few episodes? They couldn't have been more symbolistic if you... Uh did something about symbols or something? Yes i know they remade it in a film version but can't be bothered to go through it again just to find out if they changed the ending.

Anyway i'm curious what did you think about Panty and Stocking? (assuming you watched it)
I liked NGE, but that doesn't mean I want every other show that Gainax makes to feature the same sort of overly dramatic, heavily symbolic, apocolyptic ending. Especially when the show itself doesn't call for it all, like Mahoromatic. I liked 2001: a Space Odyssey too, that doesn't mean I would've wanted Stanley Kubrick to end every one of his future movies with a 20 minute long acid trip.

And Gurren Laggan was for intended purposes a goofy mech show, so did we need the whole what's-her-face sacrificing herself for the greater good just because?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This thread is two topics at once man!

Also I'm fine with the Gurren Lagann ending the way it is (I won't go into detail due to how you already spoil it for some people).

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Motherfucking spoilers dude!
Also, you may want to add a bit of context and clarity into what you're trying to say...
If it's 2 separate topics then make 2 separate threads.

But don't worry, i'm not angry, someone else spoiled the show for me a looooooong time ago.
But people have to start put spoilers on stuff, because recently Batman: Arkham City got spoiled for me.