Poll: How Long Do You Play Videogames In One Session?

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I recently came into some more free time. Which is good, because it gives me an opportunity to play videogames more often than I had in the past. I find I can play for at least 2 hours before I get tired and want to quit. Does this make me a lightweight? So, I am curious. How long do you play videogames in one session before you quit and do something else?

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
Depending on the game I'm playing, anywhere from 1 to 5+ hours. RTS games, particuluarly ones that have slow campaigns (Grey Goo leaps to mind) will err toward the 5+ hour mark. I have a habit of being gunshy and wanting to build up massive armies before even exploring the map.
On the other hand, certain games that promote very fast, repeated attempts - Luftrausers, Blitz Breaker, maybe Audiosurf - will only keep my interest for 5-10 minutes at a time, though I can play, die and replay at least a dozen times in each short session.

Actiony games that require I actively engage in combat and such, that's gonna be closer to maybe 2-3 hours. Open-ended action games (Bethesda games, games like Shadows of Mordor) will only usually be 2 hours at a time, it's harder nowadays to focus on the plethora of objectives and side-quests thrown at me.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
On average, I play for 1-1.5 hours, with 2 hours being on the high end. Some games (like Civilization) can get me to play for 5-6 hours if I have the time. The longest I've done is about 10-12 hours on Civilization IV.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
1-2 hours, 3 at the max before I feel the need to do something else. I just can't sit down in front of a game as long as I use to be able to.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Usually only an hour or so. Games are so chapter-based and paced in a way that they often make me want to put down the controller after a little while anyways.

Jan 19, 2016
I don't get to play all that often, so when I do, I tend to binge. My longest session recently was 18 hours straight of Witcher 3, but 8 hour sessions are not uncommon.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Depends on the game. But average can be from 3-6 hours, allowing for margins of error. Longest session, minus bio breaks and food runs... 33 hours... Blackwing Lair.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Depends on how into the game I am. Such games can take up my whole day, where I wake up, play the game, go to bed. Bathroom and food breaks in there too.

When I'm in a rut, like right now, I may play a game for 5-20 minutes, but many games, looking for the next game to take my interest.

I tend to be either a lot or a little. Not too much middle.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It depends on a game. Most games don't hold my attention for long these days and I stop after an hour or two. But some games can hold my attention for hours. Some games I can't even be bored of and I have to make a conscious effort to stop playing.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
In my younger days, I used to go for 6+ hours easily (and then rush my homework, oops). Nowadays, with university and my own lessened ability to be really sucked into a game, the most I go is 3ish hours, and the last time I did that was when I blasted through the recent Shadowrun games. Otherwise, I'll go for maybe 1-2 hours before getting tired. Though, with that said, I noticed that if it's a game I can easily alt+tab out of or keep in a window, I can go for much longer because I can keep instant chatting to my friends and/or watch something in the background.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I generally play somewhere between 1-2 hours. Sometimes more during the weekend, if I can spare the time.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Nowadays its usually about 10 minutes to 1 hour a day max because that is all the time I get but in the past when I had much more free time I have pulled 100 hours in 7 days which was enough for me.

Suppose an average for me if I could find the time would be about 3 hours but it really depends on the game.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Normally, 2-3 hours before I take a short break. Over the weekends (or other non-working days), and especially if the game is more engaging, I could do more without stopping - generally 4-5.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Depends on the day.

On work day I can only play like 3 or 4 hours realistically.

On a weekend though potentially anywhere up to 12 hours.

When I was unemployed between 18-20, I used to run a 12 hours of gaming 12 hours of sleep life style.

Too bad I had to grow up and shit.

Feb 7, 2016
There are times where I can play for 3-6 hours in one session, but I have to enjoy the game immensely.
Otherwise, with responsibilities and my horrible attention span, usually about 2 hours and then I take a break.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
When there's a game I get really into I could play them pretty much nonstop, like with BlazBlue CPEX right now in the weekend I could actually keep swapping modes all day. Nobody online? Play against bots. Frustrated at how Arcsys programmed bot difficulty in the laziest manner possible? Story mode or online play. Get pissed off because some dicklord thinks he's good at the game by playing Unpunished "5B only" Ragna Snake then go back to bots. The cycle continues.

Terumi's 2D is good against bots btw, they auto backdash your moves cuz brief invincibility (nice difficulty programming ArcSys) and they backdash from the first end of the cheese wheel into the back end of the cheese wheel. Do that shit online and you get fuckin' ruined.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I can lose myself in a Dark Souls game for about 4 hours on occasion. Total War games I can get to maybe 3. Most other games I tend to need at least a short break after at most 2 hours.

Back in the day I'm sure I did much better with Morrowind.