Poll: How long will WoW reign supreme?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
WoW will go away when Blizzard release World of Starcraft. At first WoS will be small, but then it will slowly suck people away from WoW and become king.

blindraven

Dec 3, 2008
I see WoW around for at least another 5 years, and likely still somewhat strong even afterwards. Part of my reasoning to seeing this is that it already takes so long just to make a new mmo. Add on that new mmo releases WILL have bugs/glitches/etc - as it is impossible to make a new game as glitch free as WoW with all the years blizzard has to polish n clean it up - as a result, many people will remain with WoW because they can't stand the bugs n such. (and also part of actually having to start from the beginning as a noob without uber gear, but thats part of my take)

Another factor to consider is the system demands of new MMO's. They will likely be bringing them up to more recent technology demands, but WoW's low system needs will still hold it over for awhile yet, particularly in their young consumer base of people who can't afford a newer computer for the latest and greatest mmo's. Also, just add in WoW's massive subscription numbers, it will simply take time to just have those people move on.

In short, we will still have to endure WoW's catering to a wide scale market for many more years, and hope that the next gen mmo's will be able to get a large enough foothold to last beyond their first year to start taking any measurable amount of players from WoW's player base.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
bulbasaur said:
im guessing wow can pull another 3-5 years. its designed entirely around being addictive. it was the first of its kind to work and it built up a huge fan base. until such time as it becomes too outdated or something magical comes along to replace it, i don't think it will ever loose its rule over the mmo scene. its got such a mass of players that they all strive to keep up with each other, so i don't see it going away anytime soon.
I'm sorry, I forgot that Everquest never existed.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
KaZZaP said:
needausername said:
KaZZaP said:
Warhammer is 10x funner then wow, sadly quality of game and game popularity aren't allways equal.
But isn't Warhammer buggy as hell, and I think there are a lot of other issues... (But I could be wrong, having only heard this through word of mouth.)
I've never had any bug problems, mabey the odd animation glitch or somthing but nothing like Left 4 Deads level of bugginess. The only down side of war is its a RvR (PvP) heavy game so its dependent on other players being there to attack.
L4D buggy?

I've only found 2. Infinte molotvs and tank clipping.

Stormcloud23

Aug 15, 2008
WoW can't be beat... there's too much money in it.
Here is a math problem for you...
11,000,000 X 15 X 12 X 4
That's roughly how much Blizzard has made off of subscription fees since it's release in 2004
Now add a
x 35 X 3 for the product and expansions...
and you'll get
$831,600,000,000
that's 831.6 billion dollars
and there's still stuff like Character and server transfers
Needless to say WoW will be ontop for quite a while

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
shatnershaman said:
However long it takes for Games Workshop to sue them for ripping them off.
That made me chuckle.
Whilst the Warcraft franchise and Warhammer share similarities, I think its stretching the mark to say they are ripping them off.

I voted 5-10 years, on the notion that its been going for about 4 years now and its probably got another 2 or 3 up its sleeves. But this all depends on whether or not they come up with some amazing new content that revolutionises it, or just keep going with expansions until eventually it stagnates and dies.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
smallharmlesskitten said:
L4D buggy?

I've only found 2. Infinte molotvs and tank clipping.
On the PC at least there is loads of bugs, versus games switching to coop and visa versa, random difficulty changes, random team changes, lots of crap like that happens.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Siuss" post="9.79351.1010407 said:
Will WoW get overtaken? Probably not... They will need to update it pretty soon, but let's face it asking all those player to just abandon all their level 80 characters is a pretty big toll for any other MMO to take up.[/quote

The only game I ever see beating WoW (including WoW2 if it ever happens though sequels to MMOs dont really make sense to me) is one that lets players transfer their characters from WoW to it. Monthly fees + persistant characters tend to mean that unless someone is genuinely sick of a game beyond just 'taking a break', they wont leave it.

Macropter

Dec 8, 2008
I can't really imagine a large number of high level WoW players just quitting. They've put so much work into it, so many don't really have a reason to start all over on another online game. The only way I can imagine it falling, is if eventually most high level players stop playing online games, and no new people are joining because of the outdated graphics and the fact that everyone else would be a higher level than them. All of the new people interested in playing online games would choose a newer one.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Probably when they will miss regions to put an expansion on.

Besides, it will die someday. In the mean while, let me kill you with my Death Knight.

Snakktastic

Dec 2, 2008
It'll be around forever at this rate. As long as they keep adding new crap every now and then they'll all ways have people joining.

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
Hmm... a tough question to tackle. I'll give it 3-5 years of its current level of popularity on it's own steam. I think that's about enough time for most people to get to a point and say "Alright, we get it...and we don't want any more of it...", regardless of expansions/content updates. At that point the throne may be up for grabs, but any new mmo would be hard pressed to hold a candle to WoW's success.

Now many people are still looking for a WoW-killer; so if that has any chance of happening, it's going to take a combination of things.

1.) First and foremost, this WoW-killer damn well better be a good game. Unique and easily accessible for the less savy gamers, yet engaging enough for even the most hardcore mmo goers. I say unique, because WoW was the refinement of mmo Fantasy rpgs. This genre really needs no further 'refinement', it needs something different. If you want refinement, play WAR. Not a bad game and it definately refined alot of aspects of your 'standard' mmo fantasy rpg, but not enough to really steal WoW's thunder.

2.) Technical aspects: to keep it simple, this game better run well on the lowest common denominator of user pc's, and look damn good doing it.

3.)Release Timing. This may be the most important if a developer/publisher wishes to steal WoW's chair out from under it for a time. Most definately in-between WoW expansions, and before any new expansions have even so much as been hinted at. (Many players may have reached the cap, or felt that they have "done everything" reached "end-game" or whatever you want to call it, and may develop the urge to "wander")

4.)As much I hate it, the hype-war machine will need to be in full effect. This game will need to smother the press to get it's name out there.

5.)Oh, and the game will need to live up to all that hype...(thus making this whole ordeal an impossibility, lol.....j/k...I'm sure it's possible o_O)

But, all of that is only if you want that fabled "WoW-Killer". Most likely, I would imagine WoW will just have to run it's course. There may be a "WoW 2" of some sort, but I doubt that will attract as much attention as WoW does currently. Maybe then, the "next big thing" will have it's chance, or people will lose interest in the genre entirely. Whose to say?

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
As long as it takes before the players realise that their game is outdated.
When has that stopped people from playing games? You never play any old retro games?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I posted this in another MMO thread, and I think it makes sense here:

MMO games have to adapt in order to do one of two things:

1) Topple the WoW machine, which is undeniably the beast in the market. Like it or not, it's huge and it's staying for a while.

2) Become as successful as the WoW machine, which doesn't always mean toppling it.

I think the general cry is less grinding and more 'hands on' type combat, rather then 'one click combat'.

BUT, therein lies the problem! One person may abhor one-click combat, another may love it. One person may find grinding to be the WORST of gameplay ideas, and another may not mind so much. I think the evidence lies in the success in WoW: A grind-tastic, one-click combat game that is CRAZY successful, even after years of release and very little in the way of major updates.

It's successful for a reason.

So developers need to stop trying to 'beat' WoW in terms of success, and ask themselves:
What market is WoW NOT getting into?
What type of gamer is totally put off by WoW, but not by the idea of an MMO?

Then what you'll have isn't the Successor to WoW, but a different animal altogether that fulfills the gaming needs of those who are done with, or have no interest in, the MMO format of WoW.

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
As long as it takes before the players realise that their game is outdated.
Outdated in what way? Graphically, yes, but MMORPGs are usually not that strong graphically. A lot of people have to be able to run it properly so the servers don't break and stuff..

Is there another way in which WoW is outdated? I don't think so.

GodMode

Dec 8, 2008
As long as Blizz is raking in buttloads of money per month, they're gonna keep going at it. I personally think 5-10 years because..

1. I play the game myself, and I love it
2. The game changes so much, and expected expansions are coming your way almost yearly now
3. Fantasy MMORPG's are the heart of computer gaming, and WoW is too original, everyone else who makes a game gets an epic fail sticker for trying *thumbs up*

Welcome to WoW.