Poll: How many of you actually nickname your Pokemon?

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I name them all Bruce, to avoid confusion.

Actually, I tend to name most of them. In SoulSilver I named ABSOLUTELY EVERY unown because I was totally annoyed at how it seemed like they wanted me to collect them all (And in the end, I had all of them). I just named them regular people's names like Ted and Jennifer, but dammit if I didn't name every one. In Diamond, I named my turtwig (Eventually Torterra) A'tuin, and collected four Phanpys and called them Tubul, T'Phon, Berilia and Jerakeen, and then named a Primeape "Librarian". The point is, I like Discworld. Not sure why. I just like to engage my creativity a bit to see if I can come up with something.

Elvoret

Mar 3, 2011
Yes.
Even the 100 billion Vulpixes I hached trying to get good IV's because Ninetales is the greatest thing ever. Or Eevee's it depends on my mood, i'll probably do the same in black (I named spares after food).
Although I usually change nicknames for different mons as time goes on, cyndaquils will ALWAYS be Flare.

May I ask, what's a nuzlocke? I've heard that term several times before...

Edit: Hey, above poster-guy, you may be on to something.
Scary thing is, I had a DW related conversation about a race of Bruces awhile back...
It's a long story unrelated to this topic.

Except now all vendor trash I catch will now be Bruce.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
My favourites get names.

For instance, my Ninetales got the name Perugia.
Which is a VERY HOT little town in Italy, it also has many ways leading to the top reminding me of my Ninetales her 9 tails.

mr.mystery

Mar 24, 2011
WorldCritic said:
I never nickname my pokemon. Seriously, if I have a Charizard, I'm going to identify him as such if his name is simply Charizard, not "Dave the Orange Dragon."
Dave the orange dragon is a pretty sweet name though...admit it!

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Nah I'm just not creative enough to think of decent nicknames most of the time. Some of my Pokemon do.
Mewtwo - Godfather
Mespirit - Trickster (uses trick to give opponent choice scarf)
Garchomp - Hammerhead
Rattata - Fear (guess his moveset)

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Redeement said:
I only play Nuzlockes these days, so I always nickname.

Current run pokemon:

Pidgeot: Winfrey(Oprah)
Raticate: Snitch[Desceased]
Beedrill: Glitch
Persian: Rose(Axel) Because his only use is Pay Day, and Axel Rose is a greedy mofo.
Zubat: Leno[Desceased]
Primeape: Mike(Tyson)
Machoke: Guv'nor(Arnold!)
Charizard: Gore(Al) Because, y'know, Global Warming.
Gyarados: Mr. Fish
Jolteon: Lewis[Desceased]
Nidoking: NINO
Snorlax: Gabe

Player Character: Red
Rival: Jackass "Gramps! I want one too!" "Be patient, Jackass."
Awesome names there.
I lolled at ''jackass'' xD

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
If I'm using them yes. Legendaries get nicknames too but all the other boxed rubbish doesn't.

Some names I've used since R/B/Y too. Examples being the legendary birds named Thundaga, Firaga and Blizzaga and a Gyarados named Leviathan.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I usually only give them a nick name if there is some kinda story behind them. I have a female Agron Called "IRON FIST". Very long story...

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Never. I couldn't think of anything good and it just felt unpolished to have them with improper names.

farq1414

Jan 26, 2011
i used to but now i some times name then after other pokemon just to piss of my friends when playing with them

Kakujin

Oct 19, 2008
I used to nickname them when I played the originals, back in the day. But now I can't remember what they are called if I talk to someone about them, if I have nicked them.

baboon 101

Jun 11, 2009
If they end up on one of my competitive teams, I will, but I catch way too many in-game to worry about that.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I didn't at first, however, I decided to one time and I like doing it now. Since about Platinum I've been nicknaming my Pokemon, everyone, not just the ones that are in my team

I come up with the names at random, for example, if I catch, say Ditto, the first one I caught I nicknamed Gooey, since that's the feel it gave me. Sometimes I'll use something in the description or something to get to a name. Forever, if Charmander's said something about it's tail, I'd go from Tail-Whale since they sound alike, Whales are mammals, mammals have fur, fur is warm, opposite of that is cold, which makes it frosty, like a glass of Rootbeer, ROOTBEER! And thus, a nickname. Think South Park Episode cancelled, where you get from Buttsex to Binary Code

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Elvoret said:
May I ask, what's a nuzlocke? I've heard that term several times before...
A Nuzlocke run is essentially a regular Pokemon playthrough, but with a few rules.

1. You are only allowed to catch the first Pokemon you see in an area. If you don't catch it, too bad.

2. If a Pokemon faints in battle, it is considered dead and you have to release it.

3. If your entire Pokemon team dies, you have to start the entire game all over again. No exceptions.

For some runs, there are some special modifications to the rules. For example, if you meet a Pokemon you've already caught in a previous area, the first rule is void until you meet a different Pokemon in that area. Essentially it makes it so you don't end up with a team full of Rattatas.

Some runs can also be made more difficult if you so choose. For example, some people would make it so that they would not be allowed to use Pokemon centers and can only use healing items.

From what I heard, these runs were inspired by this webcomic:

http://www.nuzlocke.com/?p=4

Hilarious stuff on there.