Poll: How many of you have Asperger's/Autism?

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
So, I've seen a few other members have Asperger's disorder here, and it's not just me. (Note to self: "It is never just you, aka: you are never alone.") So, how many other escapist here on the forums have Asperger's disorder or some kind of autism? for others who don't, feel free to check no in the poll and ask any questions about Asperger's/autism that you might be wondering, as I want to help those who don't understand it to understand it.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I do, I was diagnosed when I was eleven. I'd talk about it more but I already made a whole blog post about it:
http://themightyvrex.wordpress.com/my-life-with-aspergersa-short-post-to-test-my-blog/

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Nah. I've been assured by people that I have either aspergers or that I fall somewhere on the autism spectrum but none of these people are professionals in mental health and my GP seems to disagree with these people.

I don't care to get a second opinion as it won't really change anything.

Having researched autism fairly thoroughly for university I don't think I've got anything to complain about, some of the accounts I've seen, heard and read are pretty rough.

Anyone here care to share experiences that relate specifically to education and schooling in general?
Positive, negative and just plain interesting are all of interest.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Vrex360 said:
I do, I was diagnosed when I was eleven. I'd talk about it more but I already made a whole blog post about it:
http://themightyvrex.wordpress.com/my-life-with-aspergersa-short-post-to-test-my-blog/
that was a very interesting read

[sub/] [sub] and I can kind of relate in a way [/sub] [/sub]

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
You're asking if many people here have this generation's ADHD.

By that I mean, a vastly over diagnosed condition that is used to be able to medicate "problems" that are often just character quirks or issues with deeper causes than just some condition.

While I'm sure there are many cases of genuine ADHD, Aspergers and Autism, I'm equally sure there are many more cases of it just being a convenient excuse for bad behavior and an easy way out for parents, educators and doctors.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
StBishop said:
Nah. I've been assured by people that I have either aspergers or that I fall somewhere on the autism spectrum but none of these people are professionals in mental health and my GP seems to disagree with these people.

Having researched autism fairly thoroughly for university I don't think I've got anything to complain about, some of the accounts I've seen, heard and read are pretty rough.

Anyone here care to share experiences that relate specifically to education and schooling in general?
I used to have teachers aids now and again through primary school, though I never needed them, any difficulty I had in school was due to my own lazyness

thing is Im 99% normal...so things can get awkward at times, (siously, If I had it my way Id be removed from whatever list the department has laying around)

like in my last year at a fancy private school some lady from the disabilty department wants to conduct a stantard "are you suitable for work after school?" interveiw (lady if I can handle going through boarding school I can fucking handle a job) even though I tried to get mum to tell them it wasnt nessicary

cue lots of awkwardness....(and the silly twat askes me why my parents arnt present..Im a BOARDER you know that right?) so my ex engligh teacher was there (who happned to be the rep or whatever) and I have to say "yep! I'm autistic...you cant tell but I am really!" ohhh man how awkward

I also have this bizare habit of tearing up in weird cirmcumstances...and not because Im upset, it just happens

also they wouldn'r let me into the boarding school for obvious reasons...I had to have an interveiw (a couple actually) with head of boarding and......god ,awful memories now :(

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Vault101 said:
StBishop said:

I used to have teachers aids now and again through primary school, though I never needed them, any difficulty I had in school was due to my own lazyness

thing is Im 99% normal...so things can get awkward at times, (siously, If I had it my way Id be removed from whatever list the department has laying around)

like in my last year at a fancy private school some lady from the disabilty department wants to conduct a stantard "are you suitable for work after school?" interveiw (lady if I can handle going through boarding school I can fucking handle a job) even though I tried to get mum to tell them it wasnt nessicary

cue lots of awkwardness....(and the silly twat askes me why my parents arnt present..Im a BOARDER you know that right?) so my ex engligh teacher was there (who happned to be the rep or whatever) and I have to say "yep! I'm autistic...you cant tell but I am really!" ohhh man how awkward

I also have this bizare habit of tearing up in weird cirmcumstances...and not because Im upset, it just happens

also they wouldn'r let me into the boarding school for obvious reasons...I had to have an interveiw (a couple actually) with head of boarding and......god ,awful memories now :(
Out of curiosity, do you feel your life would have been better without the diagnosis? Since it's evident that you didn't really need the "help" it provided and it seems that it was more negative than anything.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
The jury's out on that one. A few people have suggested it, but I'm not sure. Social skills are definitely on the crappy side, and I apparently have an "extreme" systemising quotient, though I don't have any typical Asperger's/Autism obsessions.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Craorach said:
Vault101 said:
StBishop said:

:(
Out of curiosity, do you feel your life would have been better without the diagnosis? Since it's evident that you didn't really need the "help" it provided and it seems that it was more negative than anything.
A very interesting question...yes and no, its never been a huge problem eather way, and at times I "forget" its ever a thing

(I did have a few "things" that were very odd..my teacher once refered to it as a "tick" which I guess is true...though I soon leanred to cut that shit out because it was weird..so it was obvious there was "sotmhing" going on there)

I would say yes IF it werent for my current situation (a long complicated thing) where right now I am receiving help/benefits which I feel very conflicted about

but yeah..probably yes

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I have Asperger's. Was diagnosed while in high school, but wasn't informed of it until years after the fact.

From what I know and understand of it, I have it pretty bad/a severe case of it.

StBishop said:
Sure, but I'll give you the fat skinny to prevent maximum boredom.

Had about zero friend my entire school career (hardly remembered anyone's names), my grades were largely bad save for English when we had to either do creative writing or read (latter is a bit iffy though since most of the books we had to read I cared nothing for, therefore hardly bothered with the work for it), I was wholly set on doing a bunch of things a certain way (going to a class a certain direction, organizing things in a special order, things like that), I obsessed over various things (Battle of Mogadishu, the Mass Effect series, reading all the time, just to name a few), and when I talked I would either mumble everything or say everything loud and fast.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Vault101 said:
A very interesting question...yes and no, its never been a huge problem eather way, and at times I "forget" its ever a thing

(I did have a few "things" that were very odd..my teacher once refered to it as a "tick" which I guess is true...though I soon leanred to cut that shit out because it was weird..so it was obvious there was "sotmhing" going on there)

I would say yes IF it werent for my current situation (a long complicated thing) where right now I am receiving help/benefits which I feel very conflicted about

but yeah..probably yes
This is really what worries me about the huge range of people that are diagnosed with this sort of thing.

Before the surge of ADHD, Apergers and Autism diagnoses, someone with a "tick" might be considered abit odd, but certainly wouldn't be treated different or given "special" help. Children who's behaviour was antisocial to the extreme would have been forced to change it, or face the consquences.

All to often I see people with mild problems having them made far worse from the stigma of diagnosis, while people with severe and antisocial behavior essentially get a "get out of jail free" card because of their diagnosis.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I have self-diagnosed "Read the Wikipedia Article and Identified With It" Aspergers...

Which probably means I'm normal and just like to have a convenient label that also makes it sound like I have special mental powers in exchange for my social awkwardness.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Craorach said:
Vault101 said:

but yeah..probably yes
This is really what worries me about the huge range of people that are diagnosed with this sort of thing.

Before the surge of ADHD, Apergers and Autism diagnoses, someone with a "tick" might be considered abit odd, but certainly wouldn't be treated different or given "special" help. Children who's behaviour was antisocial to the extreme would have been forced to change it, or face the consquences.

All to often I see people with mild problems having them made far worse from the stigma of diagnosis, while people with severe and antisocial behavior essentially get a "get out of jail free" card because of their diagnosis.
interesting

because of the whole "over-diagnosed" thing I also feel uncomfortable giving myself that label (Im not bad enough to have it IMO)...and probably wouldnt even mention it...if not for my current situation

anyway I dont think its all bad, I imagine for some it would be more of a releif like "ohh so THIS is why I am like I am"

and A-social behaviour isnt "that" bad as long as the person can function in society

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
There was a period of time when I wondered a lot about whether or not I had Asperger's, however I don't think it's really the case. I have social problems, but I don't seem to have any of the strict routines that people with Asperger Syndrome have and although I used to have strong interests I don't seem to anymore. I can talk easily to people once I get to know them and it was probably my normal behaviour as a child to have strong interests. The thing is, I'm bipolar and that is probably what caused me to have some of the Asperger traits so I doubt I also have Asperger Syndrome.

The other thing is, these labels seem like a convenient way for phychiatrists and pharmacuetical companies to make money. Think about it, you have to see a psychiatrist or mental health professional every week or fortnight or whatnot for the REST OF YOUR LIFE and often take multiple pills which pharmacuetical companies charge quite a lot for. We're talking probably hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of your life. I might not be saying this if I hadn't been faced with a bunch of crappy treatments for my bipolar disorder, though (which I noticed amassed a huge amount of money for these companies/institution). So yeah, I'm not saying that Asperger Syndrome isn't real but I think for some of the milder cases, it is not out of the range of normal human behaviour.