Poll: How many straight birth-gendered females are on the Escapist?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
the December King said:
Saulkar said:
snippa-dee doo
For what it's worth I am not bothered by the term cis
It seems to be a hot topic in this thread but one thing I will say is I really hate the word cis. I cannot describe it but it is phonetically very unpleasant. Unlike the word trans, that word is phonetically pretty cool and more than meets the eye. XD

And it has nothing to do with labels, I do not mind being labeled but if you are going to label me, make sure you label me correctly as an autistic, bisexual scaly... OH DEAR GOD! I am a walking stereotype of the fandom! Abort, abort!

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Saulkar said:
the December King said:
Saulkar said:
snippa-dee doo
For what it's worth I am not bothered by the term cis
It seems to be a hot topic in this thread but one thing I will say is I really hate the word cis. I cannot describe it but it is phonetically very unpleasant. Unlike the word trans, that word is phonetically pretty cool and more than meets the eye. XD
This is the real reason everyone hates cis. Because it means they are not trans, which they associate with being both an awesome car and a more awesome robot AT THE SAME TIME.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
s0denone said:
?
You missed the last panel of the comic? The punchline? "I hate all cis people today".
No, pretty sure I saw it. Its basically the entire message of the strip. Person gets assaulted for being trans and her supposed friends and family only care about not getting generalized rather than actually being any sort of helpful or supportive.

Perhaps if the comic made it clear that her friends and family were aware of the assault that might be the message to take away from it, but the comic gives no indication that she's made any attempt to tell them. How exactly are they supposed to care about something she hasn't even told them? Or are they just supposed to assume she's justified in writing what ever she writes?
And considering her (presumably) cis friends and family fall into the category of people she's declaring her hatred of, they're well within their rights to call her out for it. Likewise, she's well within her rights to post what she wants, but no one is obligated to give her a free pass when she's telling them she hates them. And if she doesn't actually hate them then perhaps she ought not say such things.
As for this idea of venting, why not privately contact someone to talk about it with, rather than publicly declaring your hatred for (probably) upwards of 90% of your social media friends and wondering why they don't understand that you can apparently do no wrong.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
MarsAtlas said:
s0denone said:
?
You missed the last panel of the comic? The punchline? "I hate all cis people today".
No, pretty sure I saw it. Its basically the entire message of the strip. Person gets assaulted for being trans and her supposed friends and family only care about not getting generalized rather than actually being any sort of helpful or supportive.

Perhaps if the comic made it clear that her friends and family were aware of the assault that might be the message to take away from it, but the comic gives no indication that she's made any attempt to tell them. How exactly are they supposed to care about something she hasn't even told them? Or are they just supposed to assume she's justified in writing what ever she writes?
And considering her (presumably) cis friends and family fall into the category of people she's declaring her hatred of, they're well within their rights to call her out for it. Likewise, she's well within her rights to post what she wants, but no one is obligated to give her a free pass when she's telling them she hates them. And if she doesn't actually hate them then perhaps she ought not say such things.
As for this idea of venting, why not privately contact someone to talk about it with, rather than publicly declaring your hatred for (probably) upwards of 90% of your social media friends and wondering why they don't understand that you can apparently do no wrong.
Two things, which everyone keeps disregarding: Most of us in the trans community have seen a friend, or family member whose of a socially privileged group(I.E. white, cisgender, and/or heterosexual) get away with saying "I hate *blank* people to day"... In a Racist, transphobic, homophobic, sexist, or other bigoted fashion, and get basically no blow-back from it. The other is that we have a group of privileged people(cisgender people), showing absolutely no empathy for a group of people who are literally denied life for being who we are.

All this mind you over "die cis scum" and how people feel about the terms "cis" and "cisgender"... I'm sorry but defending the feelings of a group that is virtually solely responsible for the actual demonstrable suffering and death of another group, even if the latter hurt the former groups precious little feelings... This whole argument doesn't fly. We literally have people claiming that "cis" is used as a slur comprable with the likes of "******", "*****", "******", and "tranny". Except for one thing, the former word isn't used to cause massive public social shunning, or incite actual violence. People don't shout "cis scum" then beat up, or murder a cisgender person, but the other slurs are used to incite that kind of violence.

The whole argument of "hate only begets more hate" falls understandably on deaf ears, when you're comparing frustration of a minority group with no real power, to a majority group that actually causes the suffering of the minority group in question. It is so intellectually dishonest to compare feelings to wide spread demonstrable discrimination and suffering, especially when you're defending feelings of the group that allows the suffering to happen. You can "well not all cis people" until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that most cis folk who aren't actively contributing to the suffering, are instead ignoring that it even happens.

In that context, the feelings of a group, that doesn't face the issues trans people face on a daily basis, are essentially meaningless.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
FirstNameLastName said:
MarsAtlas said:
s0denone said:
?

Much of what you've written only has the most tenuous connection to what I even wrote, and seems to be a left over response to the arguments of others that I haven't even brought up. But since you've posted it at me, I'll respond.

Two things, which everyone keeps disregarding: Most of us in the trans community have seen a friend, or family member whose of a socially privileged group(I.E. white, cisgender, and/or heterosexual) get away with saying "I hate *blank* people to day"... In a Racist, transphobic, homophobic, sexist, or other bigoted fashion, and get basically now blow back from it.
What exactly is the implication here? People aren't always mobbed for being racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/whatever-else-phobic? The same can be said for people who post hatred of the majority as well, or are you going to tell me that absolutely every single time bar none results in people being attacked? I wouldn't expect absolutely every post by every person to spark a massive internet shitstorm.
I'm rather unclear on what exactly you're trying to imply with this, but it seems you're trying to imply there is some problem with apathy towards racism/sexism/etc on the internet, and if so, that's a laugh. People get pilloried on the internet for way less than "I hate _______ people today". Boycotts and shaming over non-progressive beliefs is very common these days, so the idea that there isn't enough of this type of thing is absurd.

The other is that we have a group of privileged people(cisgender people), showing absolutely no empathy for a group of people who are literally denied life for being who we are.
Oh, I'll get to this later ...

All this mind you over "die cis scum" and how people feel about the terms "cis" and "cisgender"... I'm sorry but defending the feelings of a group that is virtually solely responsible for the actual demonstrable suffering and death of another group, even if the latter hurt the former groups precious little feelings... This whole argument doesn't fly. We literally have people claiming that "cis" is used as a slur comprable with the likes of "******", "*****", "******", and "tranny". Except for one thing, the former word isn't used to cause massive public social shunning, or incite actual violence. People don't shout "cis scum" then beat up, or murder a cisgender person, but the other slurs are used to incite that kind of violence.
Considering I neither said "cis" is a slur, nor believe it, this has little relevance to me, so I'll assume it's addressed to others in this thread. There is, however, one part that seems emblematic of this whole argument that falls right in line with your next paragraphs.
I'm sorry but defending the feelings of a group that is virtually solely responsible for the actual demonstrable suffering and death of another group, even if the latter hurt the former groups precious little feelings
The whole argument of "hate only begets more hate" falls understandably on deaf ears, when you're comparing frustration of a minority group with no real power, to a majority group that actually causes the suffering of the minority group in question. It is so intellectually dishonest to compare feelings to wide spread demonstrable discrimination and suffering, especially when you're defending feelings of the group that allows the suffering to happen. You can "well not all cis people" until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that most cis folk who aren't actively contributing to the suffering, are instead ignoring that it even happens.
In that context, the feelings of a group, that doesn't face the issues trans people face on a daily basis, are essentially meaningless.
Feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible, feelings, group, responsible ...

Don't worry, I'm not going to bother "well not all cis people"-ing until I'm blue in the face, since it's clear you're already committed to the idea of "we can do no wrong against them", but considering how hard you are "yes all cis people"-ing, I am going to "not all cis people" just a little.
You keep grouping all cis people together into one amorphous group, none of who's opinions matter apparently because they're all guilty of the crimes of each and every other cis person. Why should individuals be completely disregarded for being born into a group they had no choice over? I guess that's only a bad thing when it's applied to trans people, though.

As for this talk of comparing people's suffering, I'm not asking you to believe being assaulted for being trans is comparable to someone being being rude to cis people on the internet, it's not, but that's not even the point here despite the apparent eagerness to bring it up. I'm simply telling you that the two don't need to be comparable in order to be unjustified and uncalled for, because this isn't a competition to see who has it worse. Two wrongs don't make a right, and your own bad experiences don't justify contempt of others, despite how understandable it is. It's also understandable when junkies break into cars for drug money; it's understandable when childhood sexual abuse victims go on to abuse others; it's understandable when some bullied kid, or religion extremist goes on to shoot up civilians. Understandable is not the same thing as justified, and in case you're going to point out the difference in severity between those analogies and disrespectful posts on the internet, I'll remind you that bad behavior is still bad behavior regardless of how it stacks up to the actions of others.
I'm also not asking you to respect the feelings of people who attack you, but I am telling you to respect those who haven't and not tar everyone with the same brush, regardless of whether you believe "the group" as a whole aren't doing enough to help you.

So you can sit here all day typing out every last grievance you've ever had with cis people, typing away until your fingers bleed, but it doesn't justify contempt for others based on the crimes of some group.

You ask for empathy yet you proudly wear your disregard for others based on their own gender, well, despite how quick you are to disregard the phrase "hate begets hate", the fact that this comic and other trans people in this thread are complaining about all the hate that has been begot from these actions should be evidence enough for it's truth.
Respect is a two way street, and before people say it, no, I'm not claiming disrespect of trans people as a group is justified because individuals within the trans community feel justified in their contempt for others. Respect should be based on an individual's own actions, not the actions of some nebulous group, whether they're trans, cis, or anything else.

Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter how much I type here, or whether this argument goes anywhere at all; the opinion that contempt for cis people is justified as long as you belong to some marginalized group is just that, an opinion, and considering how much complaining there is about people being called out for their hypocritical hatred of cis people as a group, it seems it's not an opinion shared by the majority.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Shit me a brick. This site is a total sausagefest. 84.2% of this site identifies as male as of this comment.
Was that sarcasm? I had a sarcasm detector, but someone told me how useful it was and it blew up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm not just any toaster, silly. I'm a lady toaster.

I have an awesome cooking rack. :D
That was bad. As someone who puns so much she put a pun in her username, I approve.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Something Amyss said:
Shit me a brick. This site is a total sausagefest. 84.2% of this site identifies as male as of this comment.
Was that sarcasm? I had a sarcasm detector, but someone told me how useful it was and it blew up.
Nope. Not sarcasm. Why?

I'm genuinely surprised. I thought we had a bigger female populace and I thought we had a larger transgender populace. I guess my impressions were wrong.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm genuinely surprised. I thought we had a bigger female populace and I thought we had a larger transgender populace. I guess my impressions were wrong.
Well, yes, but "had" being the operative word there. We did, in the past, have both more women of any stripe and more trans individuals on the site. Without getting too specific, the overall gaming community has become more hostile and toxic to minorities and women over the last few years, and there's been a steady exodus and/or retreat to usergroups from such people. I'm actually surprised so many still remain here.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Something Amyss said:
Well, yes, but "had" being the operative word there. We did, in the past, have both more women of any stripe and more trans individuals on the site. Without getting too specific, the overall gaming community has become more hostile and toxic to minorities and women over the last few years, and there's been a steady exodus and/or retreat to usergroups from such people. I'm actually surprised so many still remain here.
I can't say I didn't notice all of that. I distinctly remember a few times where the prevailing opinion was "You shouldn't include minorities unless they are there for a specific reason." I guess I was just too optimistic about it not having too much of an effect. I think what's happening, and this is semi-optimistic again, is that the gaming community always had these problems but now they're being talked about. We're in that awkward stage where we're being confronted with our issues so it's causing conflict. Hopefully it will pass and things will get better.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Something Amyss said:

I'm sorry to play that card against your sexism/discrimination card. I suppose I'll say; at what point was the gaming community not "toxic" or discriminative. Was it the 90s? 2000s? Or now? Because apparently nothing has changed.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
mad825 said:
I'm sorry to play that card against your sexism/discrimination card. I suppose I'll say; at what point was the gaming community not "toxic" or discriminative. Was it the 90s? 2000s? Or now? Because apparently nothing has changed.
Well, of course, it's not a binary switch. It's a sliding scale. I can't say I haven't noticed a good deal of hostility towards suggestion of including characters of different stripes, for example, which seems to have kicked up a gear semi-recently.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I can't say I didn't notice all of that. I distinctly remember a few times where the prevailing opinion was "You shouldn't include minorities unless they are there for a specific reason." I guess I was just too optimistic about it not having too much of an effect. I think what's happening, and this is semi-optimistic again, is that the gaming community always had these problems but now they're being talked about. We're in that awkward stage where we're being confronted with our issues so it's causing conflict. Hopefully it will pass and things will get better.
We're "talking about it" largely in terms that paint women and minorities as outsiders trying to take away gaming from its rightful owners. The toxicity has never been more apparent, and a lot of us have never felt more unwelcome. Speaking of....

mad825 said:
Because apparently nothing has changed.
Well, the first thing I'd note is that you stripped out the word "more," so your question of when gaming wasn't "toxic" doesn't address me. In short, you're asking for a "citation" for something I didn't say and is not my stance/.

And apparently? "Apparently" according to who? You? Are you a woman? Are you trans or gay? Have you been on the receiving end of this in the past or the present? Since you played the "citation needed" card, I'd really like to know your frame of reference. Because the women and transfolk in this thread seem to have reached the gee, what a surprise there's less of us now" conclusion, largely independently.

I'm also curious as to why specifically you think there's been such a decline. The last time there was a poll like this, the numbers were almost double (total women/LGBT). Did women and transfolk just up and decide people were suddenly right and we're not really interested in gaming?

Aerevolt

Jan 11, 2011
Bisexual female.
I would like to add a side note about understanding my sexuality. Growing up, I thought human sexuality was binary. I knew I wasn't a lesbian, so I figured I was 100% straight; even though when I was "practicing" kissing with other girls I was getting turned on.
After an intense make-out session where we were found out, by her overly homo-phobic grandmother, I went home humiliated and decided not to kiss girls ever again. It took me another ten years or so to realize I was bi.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Something Amyss said:
Well, yes, but "had" being the operative word there. We did, in the past, have both more women of any stripe and more trans individuals on the site.
Are you certain of that?

I don't have hard figures or anything but these polls having been cropping up every so often since I registered and I always remember the split being roughly between 85%/15% and 90%/10%, same as this one.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
NiPah said:
s0denone said:
Im Lang said:
I didn't paint you as anything, I just pointed out something about selective outrage that you apparently aren't enjoying the sound of.
I reported your post for moderation as it seems pretty clear you're not here for discussion or debate, but merely to troll and incite a response.

In case it isn't so, I am very curious about this apparent "selective outrage" and how it wasn't covered in my reply to you. Thanks.
In this case, this is a comic that actually depicts an event that happened to the artist, it's a pretty common event, though the physical confrontation is usually worse than being pushed down. You're conflating a marginalized person venting about being abused, with the people who actually did the abuse. That's where the selective outrage comes in. In fact the whole punch-line of the comic is the people who are only caring about their own feelings about how the character is being "mean to cis people", not why their family member/friend is upset.

You went and accused trans people of a lack of self-awareness, without using any of your own here. No offense intended, but you're literally taking a perceived offense against you and conflating it with deeply held attitudes. Attitudes that get real people assaulted, raped, and murdered for daring offend another's sensibilities.
Without context I wouldn't blame the friends/family for just caring about their own feelings, all they see is a person being an asshole.

Sure she's venting, but she's doing it in about the dumbest way possible, no context and just exclaiming her hate of everyone who's a certain type of gender, if they said that after reading the complete story then yes it's have a point about only caring about themselves, as it stands it's just a normal reaction to a slight slam, not very poignant.
The fact is I see the opposite all the time from the other side, and the cisgender, or heterosexual people who say "I hate gay/trans people today" always get sympathy, even from trans and gay folk. The worst blow back they get generally is: "I understand how you feel, but you could have worded your first post better." The kneejerk reactionary blowing back like in the comic is generally exclusively directed at trans and gay folk, mostly because cis-het folk tend to feel threatened by our very existence.
On the rare occasion of seeing someone say "I hate the gays" or "I hate transvestites" I've only ever seen people reply to it with admonishment, never sympathy. I'd be quite bewildered by someone saying "I hate gays" and a gay friend providing sympathy, honestly you'd have to send pics of it happening before I even believed it happened, not a slam but an honest disbelief.

Also I wouldn't say the response in the comic is from feelings of threat, more like "hey this person say she hates people like me, what an asshole". There may be some people who feel threatened by transvestites, but the vast majority just don't like having people saying they hate them, just my 2cents.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
I'm asexual and as such the internet questions my fundamental excistence. And people of the internet if you are going to place me in the category of non-existent creatures can i at the very least have a pet loch ness monster?