Poll: How much do you customise game controls?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Some games seem to offer virtually no control options at all, others offer an extreme depth of customisation yet seems to be under-appreciated.

I usually change things a lot, on console games I tweak the controls as much as I can and on PC i use almost every key from "Escape" to "N", I normally map weapons normally on 1-9 on X, C, F, E, Q, T, G, V and B.

I'm looking into macros and configs that will have even deeper level of customisation like "Press X for pistol" yet "Hold X for Rifle" and a button/key that simultaneously switches to a melee weapon and attacks with it.

Has anyone here done macro/config level of control customisation? I'm interested in going there but I don't know where to start.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
I rarely adjust the controls on a game unless it's something I find really annoying.
I can't even think of any examples now.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I usually go with default settings, because I think that is how the developers thought it was meant to be played.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I customize fucking everything on a PC FPS, but almost nothing on a console one (maybe aim sensitivity). On any other type of game, I stick with the default.

Super Six One

Apr 23, 2009
I go default settings for everything. A freind of mine sets his up so the majority of his games use the same buttons(Like if you were playing COD then switched to Battlefeild), claiming that its less confusing, but it never bothers me.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I spend a bit of the game at the start getting used to controls. I don't frequently change them as that is the norm for me. However, I do change sensitivity quite a bit.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I customize as much as humanly possible. I have a 9 button mouse with programmable macros in order to have complete control over how I play my PC games, and a number of 3rd party controllers for both the xbox 360 and PS3 that allow me to swap button functions even if the developers don't allow you to customize control settings.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
ZehMadScientist said:
I usually go with default settings, because I think that is how the developers thought it was meant to be played.
I usually find the developers' taste in controls to be really dumb.

Why MAG, why can't I fire with R2?!

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Depends on the game, I pretty much always have to play with the sensitivity for a while (for FPS), usually not much more than that. Although, if I'm been playing one game for a while then switch to another of the same type, I'll usually try to change controls to match what I was used to. If it's been a while since I've played something like it, don't really care.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Jakub324 said:
I customize fucking everything on a PC FPS, but almost nothing on a console one (maybe aim sensitivity). On any other type of game, I stick with the default.
Exactly this.

I pile as much functionality onto my mouse as I can (typically shoot/alt fire/run/crouch/zoom/activate & weapon cycle) and crowd the rest around the WASD keys.

The one thing I will do first, though, is make sure 'fire' is on the RMB, because I use a left-hand configured mouse, which pisses people off to no end...

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Treblaine said:
Has anyone here done macro/config level of control customisation? I'm interested in going there but I don't know where to start.
I only did some basic stuff for COD on my mouse. I gave one of the side buttons a macro which would make it rapidly left-click when pressed. I use it to barrett spam.

If you want to do that sort of thing, it's way easier if you have a M&KB made for it. My sidewinder came with macro software, as did my Zboard.

Other than that, I usually leave stuff on the default, to be honest.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
On old games like Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex and Daggerfall, it's pretty much mandatory. Some games get it right, but even then I like to tweak a bit. The only games I've never done that to are Valve's stuff (because they KNOW how to do it right).

Also, I like to customise controls on RPGs depending on what character I'm going for. On Oblivion, for example, I switched from fighter to mage and changed 'cast spell' from 'c' to M1, and a bunch of other things to compensate.

And no matter what the game, I always switch the 'crouch' button to 'ctrl'. I can't use anything else :p
If the game I'm playing doesn't have a sprint function, I usually set crouch to shift, it's where my pinky naturally rests.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Only small things, like sensitivity and turning the aim-assist off/on, depending on how badly I'm getting spanked at that time.

Apart from that and changing the control scheme in Halo: Reach back to what I was used to, that's all I really do.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I do pretty much no customising. The only stuff I'll do is if I'm playing a PC game with a 360 controller and have to do the whole porting controls malarkey myself.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
ZehMadScientist said:
I usually find the developers' taste in controls to be really dumb.

Why MAG, why can't I fire with R2?!
I'm in on the other side of the fence as it is precisely because R2 is so "trigger like" that I find a poor trigger (that is by trigger; a method of firing a weapon).

A real firearm trigger has virtually no travel, is stiff and has a clean break. R2 does not have that, you can't tap it anywhere near as easily and in games where semi-auto is important it becomes more a matter of fluttering the trigger back and forth between the activation point.

The triggers are best for when you want a continuous (rather than discrete) input, and analogue input, like the gas or break of a car though it's honestly not hugely important there as in racing you either have the brake on full or the gas on full, doing either by halves is a waste of time.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Usually I don't change the control scheme of a game at all. (Minus camera options.)

The sole exceptions being Shadow of the Colossus and Ico. I don't know, as someone who has played a ton of platformers in his youth, it just doesn't feel right jumping using the triangle button. In fact that's kind of how I got myself killed on the first colossus first time I played. I accidentally whistled when I meant to jump. So as a result, I went to the options screen and switched the jump button to X.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I only switch invert axis for FPS , anything else i keep defaut . Makes it easier the rare time i look at the game manuals to explain something .( Dark souls manual was flimsy as shit and didn't explain anything.

Mr.Incognitus

Dec 7, 2010
I always change sprint to Q because its a lot less awkward to press that way, other than that everything stays default.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I'm a defaulter on consoles. I learn the tools that have been set before me and master them as I would a sword.

WoW though, when I played. You were forced to customize to keep on the cutting edge. Or atleast I did.

SovietPanda

Jun 5, 2011
I'm always changing the shoot controls on my housemates PS3. i know the stupid flappy paddles don't really count as triggers but they're in the trigger spot and i'm used to the 360 control so L2 R2 for my iron sights and fire thankyou.