Poll: How much Harry didya watch or read until you were done?

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Read the books, not a fan. Harry's habit if throwing away game-winning magic items was mind boggling.

"I have a luck potion that makes me succeed at everything T do. I'll give it to my friend so he can be a good goalie!"

Also:
Time travel, Shapeshifting, Limited Teleportation, Unlimited Teleportation (Fawkes), Reflex enhancers, The world's most powerful wand, invisibility, Animal control (snakes), Mind reading, and literal immortality.
All available to Harry and completely ignored as he tries to magically overpower the world's most powerful and best-equipped Sorcerer. Doy.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Read the first book (I was at least 25 years old and well read in the genre) and did not like it - the tropes it relied on were ones I hadn't much liked the first few times. Saw the last few movies when they came out with my wife; they seemed okay. Nothing spectacular, but not as annoying as the first book, either.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I saw all the movies and read books 3 through 7.
I wasn't really interested in it when it came out, but after seeing the first two movies I got into it and read the books that were out at the time, then read/saw everything as it came out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Read all books, watched all movies. I enjoyed the first three HP books immensely. I thought the fourth book was the last good one in the series. Books 5, 6 and 7 I liked less and less. Let's just say I don't like the twist at the end of the 4th book. Or rather, I didn't mind, but it didn't do much good for the series in the long run.

The movies are just okay, I was never very crazy about them except the first one.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I couldn't get past the first page of the first Harry Potter book, they were big with my age group when they came out but I had no interest in reading them. Tried once though.

Saw the first two movies, had no real issue with them but never bothered watching the others. Its on my list of things to binge watch, I am sure I will enjoy the films but I've got about a dozen more things to watch on proverbial rainy days.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Tried to read Goblet of Fire, then stopped after a bit. Saw parts of the first 3 movies and that was it. Not a fan, read and watched since everyone else was doing it so that's all. Movies really disappointed me anyway since the parts I read weren't in the third one. I'm probably not much of a YA/children's fantasy fan anyway.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Elfgore said:
I read up to Chamber Of Secrets, but never even finished that book. I think I got half-way through before I got bored. For the movies, I made watched The Order of the Phoenix and lost interest after that movie. The Goblet of Fire was a pretty baller movie and Order just couldn't deliver.
Your missing out because everything after Chamber is superb. Especially Order of the Phoenix. Man, I love that book.

OT: I reread them every once in a while and own all the movies.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I read them all, but not when they were released. The only book I had to wait on (then buy because no library stocked them) was Deathly Hallows. I still hold that it's one of the most elaborately intertwined and well planned plot, regardless of Harry's poor personality and the last minute time-do-over device. But I haven't reread the series since the final release of Deathly Hallows in 2007.

Watched some movies, again not when they were released. I've seen the first four solely because they were on TV a few times, then I saw Deathly Hallows Part 2 with my sister when she visited from college. Not a big fan of the movies, because the focus is more on recreating scenes in the book than telling the story.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I read all the books and saw all the movies, though I stopped caring about the movies after Goblet of Fire. Up to that point I'd watched the movies in theaters, but after Goblet of Fire my interest just kind of disappeared and I watched the rest of the movies using a combination of DVD, HBO, and Netflix.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
Read all the books several times (finished 7 by about 12:30 pm the day it came out, got it at 1 am) watched all the movies, but they weren't all that good, I admit that I did see a couple of the midnight releases though. I even read the two short books.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Man, I love Harry Potter. I read through the entire series at least 3 times, but the earlier books a good deal more than that. I absolutely love the world that Rowling created. However, I only liked the first 2 movies. After that they just had to cut far too much from the books and they just ended up mutilating it. Plus that naked werewolf in Prisoner of Azkaban was just ugly, and muggle clothes. Seriously?

I thought those books were absolutely fantastic... up until The Deathly Hallows. That book has so many problems. I could go on for a very, very long time about all the problems that book has, but I won't seeing as you haven't read it. I still think the series is worth reading to the end, though.

In short Harry Potter is an amazing series that just couldn't stick the landing.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Read all the books (books 5-7 the same day they came out), but the movies, I only watched the first four. 3 & 4 pissed me the hell off.

One day I'll watch all the films, but I'm in no real rush.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Read all the books as they came out. I loved Harry Potter when I was a kid. I went to see the first movie in cinemas too but even as a young'un found that movie to be pretty disappointing. I don't think I made a conscious choice to see the rest of the movies, but between frequent tv airings, and watching films with friends I have seen them all now - they got a lot better than the first but the books was really where it was at.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I've seen all the movies but only read three of the books. I only read one, three, and four and got about a third of the way through the fifth book before I got bored.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Read some of the books and watched all the movies.

Holy hell, the vast majority of people read all the books and watched all the movies? I would have expected reading some and watching all the be the majority, or maybe reading some and watching some, or maybe even reading none and watching some/all. Reading and watching all seemed like it would be the minority.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Read and watched all the way to Deathly Hallows; because by that point I felt the bed had well and truly been shat and I decided to get out before someone tried to Dutch Oven me.

raeior

Oct 18, 2013
LaoJim said:
The Goblet of Fire I thought was just a colossal waste of time with its Tri-wizard championship and stupid Voldemort plot that made no sense.
With book 5 I gave up after about 1/3 as they were buggering around at a Quidditch tournament for no discernible reason.
Heh, I couldn't agree more. I read the books up until Order of the Phoenix (finished it though) and it just went downhill since the 3rd book. Watched 2 of the movies (Part 3 and 5) but I don't intend to read or watch anymore of Harry Potter.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I've watched all the movies at least once, not a huge fan since I read the books first. The books though, I haven't touched them for a few years, but I've re-read them all at least.. 3 times I'd guess. Started when Azkaban was first printed, and started from the first each time the next one came out. I've also got Beedle the Bard, which isn't a terrible little book.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I saw the movies but have never read the books. I tried reading the first book but only got half-way through before getting bored with it. Granted that was about the same time I discovered Tolkien; so going from reading about large battles to the adventures of some kids in wizard school was a pretty big turn around. I could read them now but I am really into Neil Gaiman's works and I am reading his Sandman works at the moment.