Poll: How much Harry Potter have you experienced?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Everybody in our civilization is at least a bit familiar with Harry Potter. So how, and to what extent, have you experienced the adventures of the boy who lived? How many books have you read, and how many movies have you watched?

Lots of you ask why there's no "Read and watched the entire things" option. That's because there wasn't room. You only get eight poll options. As to why I didn't include that particular option, well, call it a temporary state of poor judgement. At this point I honestlty wish I could lock this thread, start a new poll, and ask everybody to vote again, but I don't think people would cooperate there, so I'll do it around Christmas or something.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I read the first book on a plane, as it was my only choice, didn't like it one bit so I never read any of the follow up books. I saw the movie of another one at christmas with family, it too never clicked with me so I have never seen any of the others. I'm a big fan of fantasy type things, but Harry Potter is just not for me, I don't really know what irks me about it, it just does!

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Read all of the books, including attending midnight releases for the last two. Watched the first three movies, found them to be awful about leaving things that would be important later out, and stopped watching them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
What you mean by flicks?

OT- I read all of the books (including the minibooks that were released for charity) but I only watch the first four films. I can never watched the whole film sequels when they were on tv especially christmas when they are better stuff to watched on tv.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
No books, no films, but I am vaguely aware of what Harry Potter is and I can recognise the names of some of the characters and locations from the series.

It doesn't interest me at all and I've no desire to read any books or watch any of the films, but I suppose I've gained some knowledge of series through indirect exposure and hearing others discuss it.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I think I might have seen all of the movies, but not totally sure how many there are total and I think I saw them out of order. Always with my grandmother, she likes Harry Potter movies. I never read any of the books.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Time to reveal just how much of a saddo I am :p

Read all the books too many times to count, including going to midnight launches and the other little books that were released. Seen all the films quite a few times and went to a couple of premiers. I've done the whole of the Pottermore thing, well as much of it as there is at the moment. Played all the games (Apart from the very last one... Seriously the 7th game was utter crap, so was the 4th!) I even have my own Slytherin scarf. I wanna go to the studio tour so damn much.

Gaius Livius

Oct 30, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Everybody in our civilization is at least a bit familiar with Harry Potter. So how, and to what extent, have you experienced the adventures of the boy who lived? How many books have you read, and how many movies have you watched?

EDIT: I wrote "All books, some flicks" on the first option by mistake. I'd be grateful if the mods could fix it to say "Nothing at all" as I originally intended, but until then I'd be equally grateful if you could just ignore that option for now.
You can edit your polls. The update to it can be a bit delayed but it can be done. Just click edit on the original post then scroll down to the poll options.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Padwolf said:
Time to reveal just how much of a saddo I am :p

Read all the books too many times to count, including going to midnight launches and the other little books that were released. Seen all the films quite a few times and went to a couple of premiers. I've done the whole of the Pottermore thing, well as much of it as there is at the moment. Played all the games (Apart from the very last one... Seriously the 7th game was utter crap, so was the 4th!) I even have my own Slytherin scarf. I wanna go to the studio tour so damn much.
This sounds like me :p bar the games. I only played the first three games, never really been into movie games.

OT: Read all the books on the day and mini books, seen all the movies on the day of release and seen them all at least twice in the cinema. Done Pottermore (It said I was a Slytherin! T_T;) I used to have loads of memorabilia and board games, owned scarves, posters, done a Bellatrix cosplay and all sorts. I was proper Potter mad! I still like it now and will ace any question you ask me about it but of course I've calmed down a bit :p

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Read all the books, and read the first three several times (I even queued at midnight for #6). Seen all the films and charity minibooks, and I've also made my way through all the content on Pottermore (which is a nostalgia blast, I encourage people to sign up!)

Played the first three games, as well; Chamber of Secrets on PC was fantastic, with all the castle secrets to find, and the detailed wizard cards.

The only thing I haven't experienced is the Tales of Beedle the Bard, which somehow doesn't appeal to me to the same extent.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Read all the books, my enjoyment decreasing with each book. By they time I got to 6 I hated the whole series but had to get 7 to find out what happens. Gave up on the movies at 5.

However can someone please answer me one question. I obviously cannot judge as I have not seen it but how did they make a 2 hour+ movie out of book 6? Except for the meetings between Dumbledore and Harry and the last 2 or three chapters nothing happened.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
First 6 books but only the first 4 movies, don't know why but I lost all interest in it after the 4th movie was released.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
EeveeElectro said:
Snippidy!
Oh wow a Bellatrix cosplay? That sounds great :D haha I'm the same, I will ace any question on it. Noo, you must embrace Slytherin, it's the best house! I say that and yet Pottermore put me in Gryffindor :( I still love to have conversations about it, but I've calmed down a bit too, though I haven't quite experienced anything like it since.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
What you mean by flicks?
That's not what I meant it to say. Thanks for pointing that out.
Gaius Livius said:
You can edit your polls. The update to it can be a bit delayed but it can be done. Just click edit on the original post then scroll down to the poll options.
Thanks, mate. Turns out you were right about this.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
You forgot mine- 'All movies, all books'. My mother and brother recommended it when there were only 3 books, which caught me up even if I found them a bit beneath my usual just like the first two movies. Still, the books were funny enough to get me interested. After that the three of us made it a tradition to go see the movies together as a family.

In case the sudden jump in size isn't enough of an indication, the 4th book is when the series 'grows up' and we start dealing with some truly nasty villains and topics. Despite all that happens in the first three books, no good guys die until book 4 except in the backstory. The movies are a mixed bag, but I enjoyed the 3rd more than the book.

There was also an in-depth accounting of an outsider's experiencing the series that I greatly enjoyed following, particularly the later books. It's called 'Mark Reads Harry Potter' if you're interested.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
All the books, all the movies, and recently the Warner Bros studio tour. But I wouldn't say I'm a massive fan or anything like that - most of my friends have read the books & watched the movies (at least some of them) and I only went on the tour as family was going.

I guess the main thing the series has going for it now is nostalgia, as most of the people who read it as children are now grown up & have disposable income.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
All the books, all the movies. I think it was a British thing. Hell, my fiance from China has read and watched them all.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Read all the books and watched all of the films. Admittedly it did take me a while to watch the last two films because I read the book and was just trying to take a guess at how badly they could ruin it. Those films are great besides the Voldermort versus Harry final battle, seriously screw that scene.

I haven't bothered with the alternate books, though I do own the creatures and monsters or whatever that book was called related to the series.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I'm too dyslexic to read books, I'll ether misread a word or sentence (or few/lot of them) and end up reading a half nonsensical self version of the book where somehow Voldemort and Hermione end up being Dumbledore's secret parents, or I'll end up physically reading all the words but not actually paying attention to them as more than individual words whilst I day dream about something else entirely.

I have watched all the movies though, I watched the first 3 when I was interested in them, but then I decided I didn't really care any more and didn't watch the rest, until I got bored one weekend when they were all on sky movies, and I watched them all through in sequence.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Angelous Wang said:
I'm too dyslexic to read books, I'll ether misread a word or sentence (or few/lot of them) and end up reading a half nonsensical self version of the book where somehow Voldemort and Hermione end up being Dumbledore's secret parents...
You... You read my fanfic? Thank you!
WhiteFangofWar said:
You forgot mine- 'All movies, all books'.
No, but for some reason the poll system is based on the idea that no question can have more than 8 different answers.