Poll: How much Harry Potter have you experienced?

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Fuuuck the movies... They just don't capture it at all in my opinion. And there are way too many plot holes to excuse. I'm not talking about "logic" based plot holes, like about how Hogwarts is still open with all the ridiculous child endangerment, but just straight story and character based plot holes. I have ranted many a time about them. It's just too tiring to do it every time the subject comes up so I'll settle for this...

Harry Potter films? *FAAAAAART NOISE*.

Though the first two I felt were decent. The original Dumbledore was portrayed with absolute perfection. The Dumbledore after that suuuuuuucked. Didn't capture the character in any way... Just felt like he was trying to be some epic gandalf imitation. Biiig failure.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
I read the first few books, up to the order of the phoenix then kinda gave up. Similar with the films, still have not bothered watching the last 3 even though I bought them on Bluray for the Mrs.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Watched and Read them all but I'm not a super fan of them or anything. The books were definitely better than the films (except the 7th book sucked!). I read them because they were the biggest thing at the time.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Read them all.
Watched them all.
Played every game up to Order of the Phoenix + Quidditch World Cup

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I watched all the movies and I think that will be enough Harry Potter in my life time. After the 5th I started to not care with how it was directed and the story idea's in general. The last one is especially shit.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
As a youth, I read a few of the books in German (1-3, I think?), then started reading the later ones in English as I grew more accustomed to reading the language. I did see all the movies once but didn't really like them too much. More importantly, I heard the audiobooks while hiking. Stephen Fry is just a great guy to listen to while he's reading the stories. So, yeah, I did have quite a bit of exposure to these books over the years (although I had basically zero contact with the various games or the spin-off stories, the fan community or anything of that sort).

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I read half of the first book before her writing style started to grate on me. I begrudgingly watched four of the movies. I kinda of liked the third one, though there was still room for improvement to make it more of a film in its own right, and less of an adaptation. But I guess by that time my expectations had been lowered. I watched the start of the fifth and sixth but only got half an hour into each before turning them off. I guess it's safe to say I'm not a fan.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I've never read the last book and I've seen all the movies but the 2nd to last one, That probably seem a little odd but the only reason I've seen the movies is because of friends and I wasn't around when they went and saw the 2nd to last one.

I was never a huge fan and by the time that last book rolled out I had outgrown it. I should still read it at some point just because I read the others.

Byte2222

Jul 2, 2012
Either read or listened to all the books, plus watched all the movies (although I am British and was bang-on the books' target reader group)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Just the movies. The universe never really captured me as a child, I was more into reading stuff like Robin Hood(the original story, I think I may still have it somewhere >.>) and Anthony Horowitz's materials.

Movies were alright though.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Read all the books until the fifth or sixth, watched all the movies of course
I have the books lying around somewhere here, wish i could stop using the computer

Avery

May 5, 2012
Where is the option for all books including off-shoot book, all films and and lot and lots of fan content. Because that's where I'm at.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Shanicus said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Shanicus said:
All books, all movies and far more Harry Potter Fanfiction than is probably healthy.

Still looking for the one that portrays Hermione correctly, but alas, her character seems to escape most fanfic writers...
Never read any HP fanfic, but I'm guessing since she's a female character the portrayal is more "crazy sex fiend" than her regular Spock-like intelligence. Am I close to the mark?
Crazy sex fiend, ultra submissive (personality and sexually), overbearing/controlling of Harry/Ron, obnoxiously intelligent (something she only showed when she was young), generic damsel for Harry/Draco to rescue and sleep with because reasons...

I rarely expect Fanfictions to stay true to a character - different authors have different interpretations and all that jazz, coupled with their own goals for character growth - but for pretty much every other character I've seen interpretations that stay generally true to the base character. Hermione just seems to be that one character that everyone struggles to make not shit, let alone remotely true to her original. Could just swap her name out with something else and wouldn't know the difference 90% of the time.
I don't really understand that trend of fan fiction. I mean, I don't fully understand writing fan fiction at all, seems like you might as well change the names and places and tell your own story, but I can see where people who are way more into a certain media than I ever am could want to write it. The "every female character regardless of age and personify is sex" approach to it just baffles me though.

NCR Ranger

Aug 4, 2014
I've read all the books and seen all the movies. It's by far one of my favorite franchises of all time.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I saw the second movie first when it came out on DVD, then went back to watch the first one, and then started reading book three. Starting with three I've always read the book before seeing the movie, but I still haven't read books one and two.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
All of the Books, All of the movies. It does not seem to be a choice on the poll?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I read the first book and watched all the movies up to and including Half Blood Prince. After that I lost interest.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I've read all the books. Started reading when I was a kid not long after the first one came out and loved them (except the last two). I think I might've actually seen all the movies by now. I saw the first one at the cinema with my family but didn't like it much at all so I didn't get too excited for later ones. Over the years I've seen some on TV or at friends houses when I was younger.